Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ✿ Cillakat page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    I just started reading your journal last night and WOW! I have some of the same issues as you did. I'm dealing with a bacterial infection in my lungs thanks to strep throat. Which I had a couple months ago.
    Keep in mind that there is a place for abx. When your body is weak, don't be afraid to use them in combination with a great diet, vitamin d, zinc and probiotics. Entrenched, deep lung and sinus infections are VERY difficult to get rid of without some support and know that if left untreated, both can cause scar tissue and structural changes to your anatomy.

My sinuses are messed up and I'm pretty sure I have allergies
    Again, don't be afraid of meds while you get yourself well.

its really really heartening to hear that you were about to get rid of your issues! I feel so much more hopeful
    It's amazing when I look at the list.. just unbelievable. And really some of the worst stuff was going on in my 20s when I was totally fit, vegetarian a with fits of veganism, raw foods and live foods in there.

It helps strengthen my resolve to stay gluten and sugar free.
    Even gluten free grains are problematic for me in terms of triggering GERD, hunger and a sleepy spacy brain fog feeling.

I 'll eventually go 100% dairy free, I just eat a bit of cheese and heavy cream atm.
    I can tolerate a little now. Though a lot brings stuff up again.

Also trying to increase my vitamin D levels, which I knew was important for awhile now, but it helps to hear positive stories like this.
    Thankfully D is so easy 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day. Except on days that you get midday, summer, full body, unprotected exposure to the point just before a burn would occur. On those days, take none. One intermediate days (ie short sleeves, shorts and lots of 'incidental/intermittent' exposure) half is probably appropriate.

I've seen the movie and I want to read the books.
    No movie yet! It's in the works. The script was written by the guy that wrote the Braveheart script. Definitely try to get the books. Library maybe? I love the unabridged audio versions. Love

Mustard on meat! Yummmmm Hope you're starting to feel improvement already. Please keep us posted. If you want to talk meds/not meds etc, lmk.

My links below show what I take.

Best,
    K
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-02-2010 at 07:58 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Bah, the movie I watched wasn't the same as the book. Shame. I liked the movie.
    I'm on antibiotics right now along with my 2 girls. They have the same symptoms as I do. I'm all for going natural but I know that there are times when stuff like antibiotics are necessary. Its just annoying to get recurring bouts of strep. Not feeling much better yet, only second day of meds. Hopefully soon, going stir-crazy not being able to go out and do something.
    Calm the f**k down.

golfgirl1227 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    but I approached it like I did everything else: a exercise in 'perfect'. It's either done perfectly- or not worth doing at all. Ugh. When there are only two ways of doing something ("perfectly" or "not worth doing at all") I guess it's easy to see how play gets lost. The option of doing anything 'just for fun' doesn't exist. Must work on this.

Thanks for getting me thinking on this one.
    I have this problem as well. If I can't do it right, I don't want to do it. It's just not acceptable to not do it great. I've been working on this a lot though, and am trying to do new things, even though I realize I might not do it well and I might look like an idiot.

I've also dealt with depression/anxiety and I'm sure that plays a huge part.

I'm glad to have read your journal. My 5 year old daughter has horrible eczema. She was diagnosed about a year ago, and it's been present ever since. We recently took her off dairy and it seems to be helping quite a bit. I haven't completely taken her off grains, but have limited them quite a bit. I wish she didn't have to deal with it at all, but glad we seem to be on the right track to getting rid of it.

My 8 yo used to have very severe eczema too;/ Just keep in mind that if she's off dairy, tracking her calcium, phosphorus and protein would be a good idea as those are strongly linked with growth in children (height specifically). About 2 years ago, I was able to get her off eczema meds and lift dietary restrictions

Hope you see some rapid improvement soon.

ECZEMA

Preventing and treating eczema
    1)no foaming cleansers where eczema occurs. period. none. not on body,
    not on face, not on hands. wash hair wearing gloves if one is prone to hand
    eczema. (and leaning over the bathtub if body eczema is a problem as well)

2)if hand eczema is an issue: instead of foaming cleanser, put cerave cleanser
    at every sink and use it alcohol based hand sanitizers (never benzalkonium
    chloride) are better when 'on the go' than washing hands with soap and water.
    Over and over, alcohol based hand sanitizer has been shown to be less disruptive f
    or barrier function than soap and water.

After each hand washing, apply Cerave lotion if everything is under control and
    it's reasonably humid in the environment. If it's a very dry climate or season OR
    if there is active eczema, after washing, use Avene TriXera lotion then Aquaphor
    healing ointment to seal it all in.

3)Soaking is very helpful for eczema as it's replacing lost water. Getting wet
    frequently isn't bad. Just be careful of the temp of the water (not hot, just warm
    or cool), the type of cleanser used (nothing harsh and preferably nothing foaming).
    It's just very important then to seal in the moisture using rich barrier creams and
    oils after EVERY washing.

4)Active eczema or threatening eczema (ie the itch the preceeds the rash):
    at night, soak
    affected body part in warm/lukewarm/cool water with Avene
    TriXera Emollient Cleansing Bath, then apply Avene TriXera lotion, then Aquaphor.

6)Maintenance: shower or bathe daily in water *just* warm enough to
    not get chilled, then follow with Cerave lotion if everything is under control
    and it's reasonably humid in the environement. If it's very dry in terms
    of climate or season OR there is active eczema, after washing, use Avene
    TriXera lotion then Aquaphor healing ointment to seal it all in.

TIPS:
    Eczema is also known as the 'itch that rashes' meaning that with most
    types of eczema, the itch comes first. Using medicine *early* - at the
    first sign of the itch, will keep you from having to use it often.

When Lila or I were in full eczema crisis mode, it would take 4x daily
    steroid cream applications and 2x daily elidel applications to get it
    under control. To avoid getting to that point, we needed to practice
    effective prevention: getting the area wet frequently, using appropriate
    cleansers and following with appropriate moisturizers and barrier creams.
    If we needed meds and used them right away, then one application of
    steroid cream and one application of elidel were generally all that was needed.

If a foaming cleanser must be used instead of creamy cleanser like
    CeraVe, then TriXera has an excellent foaming cleanser. (links below)
    Avoid the harsher detergent foaming agents like sodium laurel sulfate.

Getting sufficient dietary zinc (likely from supplements) will significantly
    improves healing time. Getting sufficient dietary protein is critically important.
    Decreasing or omitting grains proves helpful to many many people.

PURCHASING:
    Avene TriXera
    lotion and cleansing bath only unless a foaming cleanser is
    necessary - then get all three. To get 20% off, use code mua20.

CeraVe - Target, Costco and all drugstores.
    Pronounced SAIR-uh-vay
    You may have to ask or order but usually it's on the shelf.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment
    available anywhere in many sizes
    generic version is fine.

Vitamin D
    my favorite vitamin D supplement - just extra virgin olive oil and D3

Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 15 ml iherb.com $9.17 msrp:$17.95 (48% Off)
    ➝if it's out of stock at iherb (it sells out w/in 24 hours of restocking)
    then luckyvitamin.com is a good 2nd choice
    ➝luckyvitamin.com price appears to be slightly less, but shipping is
    more then at iherb.com and iherb.com has another discount right at
    the moment of checkout. it's always cheaper
    ➝i have no affiliation with iherb or any other place. i usually check prices at
    both but almost always buy at iherb.com a the 'final' price is cheaper and
    the customer service is unparalleled. I've also bought from vitaglo.com
    and vitacost.com but no longer do for a variety of reasons
    ➝I take 3 drops (6000 IU) per day and it's keeping my levels at 64 ng/mL
    per the ZRT test and labcorp. my 75 lb'er is taking 9 drops a week (1 drop
    daily plus an extra on M and F) and my 45 lb'er is taking 5 drops a week
    (a drop per week day).

zinc (chelated; no copper; those eating grains get plenty of copper)
    Now Foods, L-OptiZinc, 30 mg, 100 Capsules iherb: $5.38 msrp: $7.99 (32% Off)
    ➝ zinc plays important roles in regulating immune function, tissue integrity and
    wound healing...all very important wrt eczema

Probiotics - I rotate through several *shelf stable* probiotics that contain different strains of beneficial bacteria....following are my two current ones. Udo's is a great brand as is Jarrow. Don't use Udo's so much anymore b/c it's not shelf stable and we travel *a lot*

1 cap per week - 72 each

Dr. Ohhira's, Essential Formulas Inc., Probiotics 12 PLUS Original Formula, 60 Capsules
    iherb: $43.16 msrp: $53.95 (20% Off)

1 cap the other six days of the week - 24 each
    Garden of Life, Primal Defense, HSO Probiotic Formula, 180 + 36 = 216 Caplets
    $50.67 $77.95 (35% Off)

Ranking the D testing options
    1)participating in the grassrootshealth.net study ($60 for the test 2x per year for 5 years)
    2)LabCorp
    3)Quest - if this is the only option, divide the final result by 1.3 as they have not yet 'normed' their results to the gold standard.

Short version of the problem:
    The mass spectrometry method that ZRT and Quest use is more difficult and time consuming to do right. ZRT is running their test correctly and has calibrated results to the gold standard (DiaSorin). Quest is not running the test correctly - they have too many tests to run, and not enough people running the tests in the necessary manner - nor have they calibrated their results to the gold standard (DiaSorin). Quest results are often both inaccurate and imprecise.

Detailed explanations of the issues in testing:
    Vitamin D Council discusses the issue with Quests technology and methodology and why the *combination* of the two is leading to invalid results
    ZRT explains more about the two types of testing and clarifies why ZRT's results are valid
    this NYT article discusses the problems with Quest's D test (though not that well)

It's looking as if most individuals will need 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight of vitamin D to maintain optimal serum levels of D. In other words, a 150 lb person would need 6,000 IU daily to *maintain* optimal levels of D. It's not unreasonable to take 4x that for a few weeks to quickly improve low levels.

More on D:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en

Yesterday was mostly good

1700ish cals, 100g fat, 65ishg protein
    too many carbs b/c of the cookies but it worked out well overall.
    kettlebells, hiking in the woods with my sweet but bad dog that can open the back door and jump the fence
    let the kids do my hair
    darling 11 yo dd gave me a back and neck rub as the left side of my neck has been killing me.
    watched the season finale of grey's. so glad it wasn't a cliff hanger.

B: whey, raspberries, raw coconut meat/water
    fish oil, krill oil, supps

L:well, not so good....binged on some found TJ's cookies. they're gone now thank gawd

S: few raw almonds, celery, kiwi, tiny bit 'o grassfed new zealand cheddar

D: grassfeed beef w/ onions, peppers. various green plant-y bits and sprouty things with evoo, cuke, avocado

stayed up too late and was hungry: tin of wild salmon with mustard
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-22-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: can't type

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    More mustard..?

I'm hoping to pick your brains a little if I may
    I've read your vitamin D siggy link. I live in the UK so our sun is rubbish I usually supplement 5000IU / day, occasionally double up if I feel a bug coming on. I've not had blood test; I can't afford one privately and it's bad enough getting anything out of my Dr.
    Question is, you say midday sun is necessary, but I honestly find it too hot and burn sooo quickly. Whereas the weaker sun I can moderate the redness. Also, I don't go red until a few hours later, so how can I judge the "pre-burning" point? How much damage will burning do? I'm very fair (blonde hair, blue eyes) although I do end up going browner now I've gone primal and upped omega 3 and vitamin D supps.
    Does any of that make sense??
    Want to make sure I'm getting the benefits of the sun without the risks

Day 2 of low level nausea. What is *up* with this?

1230 Calories
    97.0g of Fat
    57.7g of Protein
    41.7g of Carbs

B: dear children, unprompted, made coffee and cheesey eggs for dh and I! They even set the table for four. Used all the right pans, dishes in our kosher kitchen. They *rock*. Even dh, who's so not a morning person, rose to the occasion. It was lovely.

L: 1/4 avocado, few almonds, some leftover cheesy eggs, tomato, cukes...too lazy to cut up veggies

S: oops! totally wasn't thinking....unwrapped and ate dd's Stretch Island fruit leather snack. not the worst slip ever for sure.

D: had a tomato and a few almonds. am still hungry but it feels good. Might just not eat till tomorrow.

Movement
    Read a lot, studied alot but walked while studying.....got up every 5 min or so from the computer for walking lunges, crab/bear walking with the kids. Also did a lot of cleaning which is a combo moving around a lot at a slow pace and lifting heavy things - even though much of the lifting is unnecessary and simply to fulfill #3

√ lifted lots of heavy stuff - incl me Anterior deltoids are deliciously weak and shakey. So are pecs. Those are my favorite muscles to work hard - in addition to lats. Love lats. Love it when any of the above are sore. To a point. Continued achilles tendonitis is making any calf involved lower body moves very difficult - though I know it's improving. I can walk normally now and run. Can't fully extend/point left foot and toes though. Hmm. *recommits to icing left a.t.*

Managed to get in much stretching. Love me some good stretching. I have unorthodox stretching methods....I stretch while brushing with my electric toothbrush as it has the 30sec 'quad' timer feature. Overall, I've maintained pretty d*mn good flexibility though my hip flexors still want to fight me. Any thoughts on this?

*note to self* to to nature preserve at end of street and sprint around with kids and dog
    http://www.seriousrunning.com/10/544...ylor-Park.html

Let's skip sleep for now, k?

Lots of playing - or at least being playful - or at least it was lots for me. Sweet and playful with dh. playful with the kids - bear walking, crab walking. playing games. no one would go out and toss the frisbee with me. DH used to be a hardcore ultimate club player....usually he's the frisbee pusher. I'm usually terrified of having things thrown at me I'm getting better though. And he taught little and I to throw a 'flick' the other day. I felt very cool.

Sun/D
    D supps....I really don't like being hot and I'm so not getting in a swimsuit to go to the pool across the way. Also took my fish oil, my neptune krill oil and a myriad of other supps. I know it looks like an insane amount but really, I only take what I need. If I didn't need it - I wouldn't take it.

so far so good - no trauma and no poison

Mind
    ramping up the anatomy, physiology, rat brain anatomy, progesterone and vitamin d metabolism knowledge .
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-02-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: because I simply cannot type something correctly the first go-round

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    More mustard..?
    Now that it's 'out there', more mustard will always be on the menu.

Huh, though as I think of it, I am hungry and am not craving mustard. Interesting. I ovulated yesterday on one side but I think right other ovary is trying to give it a go. I can still feel it.

I'm hoping to pick your brains a little if I may
    Sure!
    I've read your vitamin D siggy link. I live in the UK so our sun is rubbish I usually supplement 5000IU / day, occasionally double up if I feel a bug coming on. I've not had blood test; I can't afford one privately and it's bad enough getting anything out of my Dr.
    Mmm k. ETA: that's a sympathic mmmk, not a sarcastic one. I totally understand.

Question is, you say midday sun is necessary, but I honestly find it too hot and burn sooo quickly. Whereas the weaker sun I can moderate the redness.
    It also decreases - significantly - UVB exposure and therefor D synthesis.

Also, I don't go red until a few hours later, so how can I judge the "pre-burning" point? How much damage will burning do? I'm very fair (blonde hair, blue eyes) although I do end up going browner now I've gone primal and upped omega 3 and vitamin D supps.
    Fascinating. Cannell first noticed this effect with his daughter who is a pale redhead. She stopped burning and started tanning when she reached D sufficiency.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...2006-aug.shtml
    "If you are scientific, try a little experiment. Take someone you know with fair skin who burns easily and who doesn't go in the sun. Take him or her into a sun tan booth and find out exactly how many minutes it takes for their skin to just begin to turn pink, called one minimal erythemal dose (MED). Then, keep them out of the sun but give them 10,000 units of vitamin D a day for a month. Then take them into the sun tan booth again and see how long it takes for them to get one MED. What you will discover is that their time for one MED is longer. High vitamin D blood levels help prevent burning and facilitate tanning. My teenage daughter, who used to burn easily, discovered this. Against my advice, she took 5,000 units of vitamin D every day and regularly went into a sun tan booth as well. Now all her friends are begging her to tell them why she never burned and got so incredibly tan, tanner than she ever got before. Furthermore, burning in vitamin D deficient people actually may have an evolutionary benefit. Burning heats the skin and the final step in the production of vitamin D is driven by high skin temperatures. It also makes evolutionary and physiological sense that high vitamin D blood levels would facilitate rapid tanning and thus protect against vitamin D toxicity. Just remember, burning is dangerous and should always be avoided."

Does any of that make sense??
    Want to make sure I'm getting the benefits of the sun without the risks
    A ton of sense actually.

Cannell and Hollis have said it the best

• Humans make thousands of units of vitamin D within minutes of whole body exposure to sunlight. From what we know of nature, it is unlikely such a system evolved by chance.~ Dr. John Cannell, Executive Director, Vitamin D Council.
    • If you think of it evolutionarily, it's the oldest hormone on this Earth. I don't think that this is going to be a flash in the pan. ~ Dr. Michael F. Holick, Vitamin D expert.

While the following article has a couple of *glaring* inaccuracies, it makes an important point. There are newly discovered benefits to UV exposure that cannot be attributed to vitamin D. This should be no shock to anyone that believes in evolution.
    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...rosis_symptoms

The article incorrectly states that it's UV exposure that has MS benefits *not* D. That's simply untrue. It also states that for a treatment effect to occur, D doses were so high that they were toxic - also patently untrue. But the rest is good.

Because most of the skin cancer risk wrt sun is *because* of UVA exposure on skin that covers a 25(OH)D deficient body, it is very likely that minimal to moderate *midday* exposure on full body skin is actually much safer than early morning or late afternoon expousre for longer periods, on the same exposed skin over and over.

What's your latitude? It sounds like your a fitzpatrick phototype I...though on the darker side for a I. Chances are that you're pale enough that even at your latitude, you can get sufficient D from sun from midmay-midsept if you have sufficient exposure in both skin surface and duration. AND you're likely light enough that 5 minutes 'per side' would be enough at the start of the season. Maybe even less.

I'm meticulously sun protective now....since about 35. A lifetime of crap eating, rollercoaster BMI *in combo* with unprotected Lake Michigan sun exposure set me up for some serious premature aging. My sister that's 11 yo older than me looks the same age - possibly even younger but her BMI has always been low, she's always eaten a lot of produce and has had the protection of those two things against glycation/AGEs etc. And she tanned heavily. And smoked. Gah. But whatever. So I'm sun protective and old looking;p My point is, I'm not going to get extensive UVB exposure. Period. On the days that I do get D from UVB, I slather my face in s/s and cover it with a towel or umbrella. I also cover my hands....which have been aged via extensive UVA exposure through my car windows.....three hours of daily driving for many years of carpooling the kids to two different schools.

To get some D from sun, and to get the other benefits of UV exposure, perhaps you could commit to full body exposure, midday, once a week? And the rest of the time take 1,000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day? Because you can't test, my recommendation would be to get the full body exposure when possible/scheduled or whatever, then the rest of the time, assume a fair degree of sun protectiveness as the UVA is very damaging.

Let me know what you think...does that all make sense?

Last edited by cillakat; 05-22-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: just cleaning up. clarifying

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Oooo thank you!!
    I'll read and digest and get back to you?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Perfect.

Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast