Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium Information and Extensive Protocol page 8

emaichbe03 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hey Ron, i posted this in the Natural Calm thread, but you appear much better suited to help me out.

i've had sleep issues my entire life, mostly due to stress. i've been eating primally for about 2 years now, with great results. i have better sleep, but still not great.

i was looking for a sleep/recovery aid to supplement the melatonin i take periodically. i read a bit about ZMA, so i bought that, and after about a week of taking it had the best, most restful sleep i've ever had in my life. that kind of tapered off, but i noticed my mood and sleep were still markedly improved.

after i read about ZMA, i learned that magnesium was the main culprit. so i figured i would cut out the middle man and go right to magnesium, read about natural calm, decided to give it a go.

started with 2 heaping teaspoons, and i still get the mood elevations, but i keep waking up at about 4am wide awake. i can't really fall back asleep...and it's extremely frustrating. it basically happens everyday now...as an example - went to bed yesterday at 10pm, woke up this AM at 430...and was unable to go back to sleep.

i'm theorizing that Natural Calm is much more absorbed in the body...and therefore i may be taking too much in 2 heaping teaspoons. i will try to continue to experiment with dosage.

but i'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems, or perhaps could comment why i had better success with ZMA vs Natural Calm. like some crack addict, i'm trying to chase that "high" aka awesome sleep that i got with ZMA. i could just go back to ZMA, but i don't like that answer, because i would preferably like to know the cause.

perhaps i should switch to glycinate, after reading through your posts?

thanks!!!!

poing is offline Member
    I'm not Ron, but I also often wake up around 5 or 5:30 am, which is a pain, although I often do get back to sleep.

(My husband does too, although in his case it's stress related. He sleeps like a baby when he doesn't have to go to work the next day.... that period in the night seems to be acutely sensitive to adrenal state).

I take zinc now and again, having been really deficient in the not too distant past. Zinc definitely affects sleep quality with me, and it gives me weird vivid dreams if I take too much, which in my case is about 10mg or not very much at all. Before this I never had any dream recall for as long as I can remember. I prefer to get my zinc from red meat if possible, and these days that also gives me better sleep/dream recall.

I don't understand the mechanisms, but don't discount the zinc.

rcav8r is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking magnesium glycinate in the mornings, and natural calm in the evenings before bed. Unfortunately, I don't think it's helping with the sleep at all. I sleep OK, but if I have to get up to go to the bathroom, or if the cats wake me up or something, it's harder to get back to sleep.
    The glycinate will run out in a few days, and I will experiment by replacing that with malate. Not sure what I'll do when the natural calm runs out, which should be in 2-3 weeks I think.

thanks for the response poing. i have solid dream recall as it is, so i appreciate your point about the zinc...but don't know that it's necessary applicable here. unless the combo of the two is the difference.

woke up at 3:30 last night...i was able to fall back asleep, but it's very segmented sleep after my initial wake up.

the results are just so strange....

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emaichbe03 View Post
    hey Ron, i posted this in the Natural Calm thread, but you appear much better suited to help me out.

i've had sleep issues my entire life, mostly due to stress. i've been eating primally for about 2 years now, with great results. i have better sleep, but still not great.

i was looking for a sleep/recovery aid to supplement the melatonin i take periodically. i read a bit about ZMA, so i bought that, and after about a week of taking it had the best, most restful sleep i've ever had in my life. that kind of tapered off, but i noticed my mood and sleep were still markedly improved.

after i read about ZMA, i learned that magnesium was the main culprit. so i figured i would cut out the middle man and go right to magnesium, read about natural calm, decided to give it a go.

started with 2 heaping teaspoons, and i still get the mood elevations, but i keep waking up at about 4am wide awake. i can't really fall back asleep...and it's extremely frustrating. it basically happens everyday now...as an example - went to bed yesterday at 10pm, woke up this AM at 430...and was unable to go back to sleep.

i'm theorizing that Natural Calm is much more absorbed in the body...and therefore i may be taking too much in 2 heaping teaspoons. i will try to continue to experiment with dosage.

but i'm wondering if anyone has had similar problems, or perhaps could comment why i had better success with ZMA vs Natural Calm. like some crack addict, i'm trying to chase that "high" aka awesome sleep that i got with ZMA. i could just go back to ZMA, but i don't like that answer, because i would preferably like to know the cause.

perhaps i should switch to glycinate, after reading through your posts?

thanks!!!!
    I would switch to Magnesium Glycinate, 200 mg per every 50 pounds of body weight nightly. I would also wear blue light blocking glasses (search for the uvex ones on amazon or type blue blocking glasses). Put your cell phone on airplane mode and turn off the routers in the house. Drink a glass of tart cherry juice 30 minutes before bed for natural melatonin.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    I've been taking magnesium glycinate in the mornings, and natural calm in the evenings before bed. Unfortunately, I don't think it's helping with the sleep at all. I sleep OK, but if I have to get up to go to the bathroom, or if the cats wake me up or something, it's harder to get back to sleep.
    The glycinate will run out in a few days, and I will experiment by replacing that with malate. Not sure what I'll do when the natural calm runs out, which should be in 2-3 weeks I think.
    The extra malic acid in malate will create energy. It's best to take magnesium malate throughout the day with meals.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

www.fixyourgut.com

Quote Originally Posted by Merritt View Post
    Wow. You sir really know your stuff. I wouldn't even know where to look for all this information.

I am currently at 246 lbs (and dropping!). Isn't there some concern about diarrhea at such high levels of magnesium supplementation?

I have never even heard of R-Lipoic Acid, Ubiquinol, or NADH. I hope that my store will have them, though I kind of doubt it.. selection seems to be pretty limited unfortunately.

I have asked my doctor to test me for Lyme, but getting anything from her is like pulling teeth. I need to find a new GP, so I'll add Epstein Barr to my list as well.

Thank you so much for all the fantastic information! I was reading your profile, and I am really glad you managed to fix yourself up. Apparently we were born the same year
    *hugs!*
    The malate might cause diarrhea. If so just replace some of it with more glycinate.

Thank you for the well wishes.

John

www.fixyourgut.com

definitely appreciate your response, ron, but it still leaves me wondering why i'm having this sleep problem, and how glycinate would solve that.

Merritt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    The malate might cause diarrhea. If so just replace some of it with more glycinate.

Thank you for the well wishes.

John
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge, it means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by emaichbe03 View Post
    definitely appreciate your response, ron, but it still leaves me wondering why i'm having this sleep problem, and how glycinate would solve that.
    Glycine as an amino acid relaxes the body and mind, it is an inhibiting neurotransmitter as well.

Glycine ingestion improves subjective sleep quality in human volunteers, correlating with polysomnographic changes - YAMADERA - 2007 - Sleep and Biological Rhythms - Wiley Online Library

www.fixyourgut.com

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast