Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnesium Information and Extensive Protocol page 2

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So the liquid Magnesium Citrate that's marketing in your drugstore is a no-go? If so, that's too bad because it's so cheap.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Lol, it would be fine if it wasn't because of the artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

mountainsara is offline Junior Member
    Why no mention of magnesium oil/spray? From what I've learned, this is a great way to take magnesium, because it supposedly gets absorbed quite easily through the skin. There are a couple different brands that make it, and I have used it for about a year pretty successfully.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    The carlson brand is sadly in tablet form (the hardest to break down and absorb). Also it isn't listed as the Albion Process Magnesium Glycinate which is the best of the best forms of magnesium chelates.
    Is Pure Encapsulations and your other two top recommendations (Designs for Health and Douglas Labs) based on this Albion magnesium glycinate? I think only Designs for Health explicitly states this.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium was one of the missing pieces in my paleo diet. I use NOW magnesium citrate or Life Extension mag citrate. About 800mg a day now.

It is listed under magnesium chloride.

Drop the douglas labs, they stopped making there magnesium glycinate caps, tablets are garbage. I will remove them from it. Pure encapsulations I know they do because I wrote to them to ask. Unless they have changed it then. It is the brand I use.

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    My name is Ron Swanson. Even though I usually post on a different "paleo" forum, the Primal Blueprint was one of the original books that woke me up. I post a lot of information on my home forum and think that I might share it with other people as well.

Magnesium is essential to your digestive health. Magnesium is used as some of the building blocks of the body’s digestive enzymes. It is also used by the colon as an osmotic laxative. Magnesium also helps keep the intestines from contracting too frequently as well.

Majority of Americans are deficient in Magnesium (could be as high as 80%), and this will cause the already epidemic of diabetes and heart disease to explode! Now you have probably had a magnesium blood test in your adult life and the test results came back as normal. Well don't feel relived just yet! Your body's total magnesium that is reflected on the results of the blood test is only about 2%, and your body does whatever it can to keep this level normal. If this level isn’t maintained you could suffer from heart arrhythmia and even possibly have a heart attack! Majority of Americans are deficient in magnesium, in their bones, organs and even on a cellular level.

Magnesium is important in over 300 enzyme reactions in the body. It also helps regulate blood sugar in the body. It also helps to relax the muscles including blood vessels. It also chelates extra Calcium in the body; this keeps the arteries from hardening due to excess calcium. Magnesium can also help lower blood pressure as well as help with anxiety.

There are many types of magnesium and each has its own functions, but the best form I can recommend is Magnesium Glycinate. You absorb the most elemental magnesium from Glycinate. The extra Glycine also as an amino acid helps relax nerves and muscles, and helps relieve anxiety.

Tests for Magnesium Deficiency

Magnesium Serum Test – This is the most common magnesium test preformed and is the test that is also the most inaccurate. Less than 1% of the body’s total magnesium is in the blood plasma and the body does whatever it can to keep that number regular. If you score low on a plasma test then you are in dire need of magnesium, and you are definitely deficient in your bones, organs, and muscles.
    Magnesium RBC Test – This is a better diagnostic test that quantifies the amount of magnesium stored in your blood cells and bones. You want a score greater than 6mg/dl to assure good magnesium reserves stored in your body.
    Magnesium EXA Test – This is the best test to determine magnesium deficiency. During this test your cheek buccal cells are scraped, so that levels of magnesium stored in your cells, bones, and muscles can be determined. This is the most accurate test for magnesium available.

Different Forms of Magnesium

Best forms of Magnesium:

Magnesium Glycinate - The most bioavailable form of Magnesium. The extra glycine as an amino acid can help with sleep and reduce anxiety. It is the least likely to cause loose stools. Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium Malate - Magnesium malate is important for people who have a lot of fatigue, and can be especially helpful in patients that suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Magnesium Malate should be taken during the day with meals. The extra malic acid will increase stomach acid and nutrient assimilation.

Magnesium Chloride - Magnesium Chloride is one of the best forms of magnesium for people with Gerd or stomach problems. It must be taken with food because the extra chloride will definitely make extra HCL in the stomach. Magnesium Chloride can also be used topically, which is known as transdermal magnesium.
    Magnesium Taurate - Magnesium Taurate is a lifesaver for people with heart disease. The extra taurine as an amino acid has been shown in studies to help the heart function better. Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium Citrate - Magnesium Citrate should mostly only be used for bowel irrigation and regulation in most people. If you have problems with constipation this is the magnesium you take. It should also be taken with meals because the extra citric acid will increase stomach acid and assimilation. The only magnesium citrate I recommend is Natural Calm.

Magnesium Sulfate – Magnesium sulfate is only used in the medical world to stop pre-eclampsia, and used by a lot of patients in hot baths in the form of epsom salt. Magnesium Sulfate has okay absorption, but it can leave some extra organic sulfur in the body which for most people can be a good thing unless you have a sulfur allergy. It can be absorbed through the skin. Taken either when soaking in a bath (Epsom Salt) or before bed.

Magnesium Arginate - The extra Arginine is good for increasing blood flow. Arginine is used by body builders to increase blood flow to muscles. Magnesium Arginate should be taken with meals throughout the day due to the possibility of increased energy.

Magnesium Lysinate - A good source of magnesium and the amino acid lysine. Lysine is an excellent anti-viral. Taken before bed.

Magnesium Ascorbate – Magnesium Ascorbate is good source of both magnesium and vitamin C. This form of magnesium can cause some loose stools. Taken before bed.

Magnesium ZMK- A great form of magnesium that uses magnesium from all of the krebs cycle: Citrate, Fumarate, Malate, Succinate & Alpha-Keto-Glutarate. This supplement form of magnesium, ZMK, is great for athletes and is very good for recovery. ZMK magnesium supplement should be taken before bed because it is a complete supplement.

Magnesium Fumerate, Succinate, Alpha-Keto Glutarate - See Magnesium ZMK, All Krebs Cycle forms of magnesium. Taken during the day with meals.

Magnesium Carbonate - Probably the least likely form of magnesium I can recommend. Has one of lowest forms of absorption and makes a good laxative. Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium With Special Uses

Magnesium Orotate - This is one rarer known forms of magnesium but let me tell you. If a patient just had a surgery or exercises frequently then it can be a godsend for them. The extra orotate will help muscle regeneration. Take only for a short time, because the extra orotate will increase uric acid levels, and women should stay away from it since it can be mutagenic (Granted it has only been found mutagenic in rats in vivo, rats are different biologically than humans). Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium L-Threonate - Not enough In Vivo research yet, but it may greatly increase magnesium concentration in the brain and spinal column. This increase in magnesium has been theorized to increase cognitive function. L-Threonate is an isomer of ascorbic acid. *New research has shown that it increases the concentration about the same as Magnesium Sulfate, granted magnesium sulfate is generally injected though, and this might be the difference. Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium Peroxide - ONLY AS COLON CLEANSER. Taken before bed.

Garbage forms of Magnesium

Most of the forms of magnesium that are about to be listed are garbage because they either do damage in the body or are very poorly absorbed. Magnesium Asparate has extra aspartic acid, even though aspartic acid is an amino acid, too much aspartic acid is believed to be neurotoxic. Magnesium Hydroxide and Magnesium Oxide aren't recommended because they are poorly absorbed. Magnesium Lactate can cause and increase in lactic acid buildup therefore not recommended.

Magnesium Aspartate - Absorption isn't worth extra Aspartic Acid. Too much Aspartic Acid is neurotoxic. Can you say ASPARTAME? Taken at bedtime.

Magnesium Pidolate - Absorption is DEFINATELY not worth the extra free glutamic acid. Too much free glutamic acid can be excitotoxic and neurotoxic.

Magnesium Hydroxide - Not greatly absorbed, most of the magnesium is released into the bowels. Most commercial preparations (Milk of Magnesium) have sodium hypochlorite added (bleach). Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium Oxide - VERY POORLY ABSORBED - out of 400 mg only AT MOST 80 mg of magnesium absorbed by the body. One of the worst forms of magnesium, and the most common form recommended by doctors. Taken at Bedtime.

Magnesium Lactate – Excess Lactic Acid is FUN! Not taken at all.

When and How Much To Take Magnesium

Magnesium is a natural antacid, unless chelated with an acid or chloride which stimulates HCL. For this reason I have broken up the different forms of magnesium and when they should be taken in the guide above. In the guide, I have the information when the magnesium should be taken, if the magnesium should be taken with a meal to stimulate stomach acid production or if the magnesium should be taken at bedtime.

The average patient should take at least 600 mg of elemental magnesium for 4-6 months then 400 mg thereafter for maintenance.

Brands of Magnesium I Recommend

Best Glycinate: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate / Other Recommendations: Designs for Health Magnesium Glycinate
    Best Malate: Jigsaw Magnesium Malate / Other Recommendations: Now Magnesium Malate, Jarrow Formulas Magnesium Optimizer Malate, Source Naturals Magnesium Malate
    Best Citrate: Natural Calm / Other Recommendations: Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Citrate, Now Magnesium Citrate, Source Naturals Magnesium Citrate
    Best Chloride: Trace Minerals Research Ionic Magnesium
    Best Peroxide: New Earth Oxy-C Magnesium Peroxide
    Best Ascorbate: Now Magnesium Ascorbate Powder
    Best Orotate: Advanced Reasearch Magnesium Orotate
    Best Taurate: Cardiovascular Research Magnesium Taurate
    Best Dermal Magnesium: Designs for Healthy MagneDerm
    Best Magnesium L-Threonate: Life Extension Magnesium L-Threonate / Other Recommendations: Jarrow Formulas MagMind
    Best Magnesium "Blend": Solaray Vegan Magnesium / Other Recommendations: Source Naturals Ultra Mag
    Best Magnesium for Athletes: ZMK Supplement
    I take the Natural Calm Magnesium. Is there an issue with magnesium citrate or is it just because it can soften the stool easily?

I recommend Natural Calm, it is perfectly fine. Just be aware that taking it before bed can cause some heartburn.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Can't one get enough magnesium through natural food sources?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast