Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "I could never do that." page

"I could never do that."

Shop Now
    Had lunch with friends yesterday. One was commenting that she was heavier than she's ever been. She wanted to know how I had lost weight.

"I'm following a Paleo diet."
    "What's that?"
    "Whole foods. Nothing processed. No sugar and no wheat, so no bread or pasta."
    With a shake of the head and a dismissive wave of the hand, "I could never do that."
    End of discussion.

This is the easiest thing I've ever done!!!! But I can't tell you how many times friends have told me they could never do it. I have NO will power, ZERO, and yet here I am down 40 pounds with little effort.

Anyone else have trouble convincing friends/family that they, too, can do this?
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

james9 is offline Junior Member
    Hey,

Ive tried many a time to get my family/friends to try this lifestlye, but they are so poisened by conventional wisdom that by the end of the conversation theres a massive argument. They wont listen to me because of what there "Doctors" and "Dietitions" have told them, so I no longer bother with them anymore, its so frustrating. But anyway

I feel your pain
    James9

VADogWalker is offline Member
    oh Lord yes. Like on a daily basis. I get:

"Oh I HAVE to have carbs, I get grumpy without carbs."
    "Can you have Splenda?"
    "I could never live without pasta!"

You get the picture. Whenever people say they could NEVER do this or that, I just say simply, "Yes you can, and you should."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't really try to convince anyone. The closest I've come to that is a friend of mine who is in his late 60s and eats a very low fat diet. I tried to tell him that his brain needs fat. That's all. He either will google and find the info or he won't. I did y best.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't really try to convince anyone.
    I think that's the best policy. You can be matter-of-fact about what works for you, but most people don't want to hear much more. I think it's socially more acceptable to eat "wildly unhealthy foods" (i.e. meat, bacon, cheese, butter) than to be a "health nut".
    Last edited by PeaceCorpsCaveMan; 06-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.

paleophil120 is online now Junior Member
    Yep, about the only thing I do is describe the diet without the PALEO jargon. And just leave it, it works for me. Then I just remind myself that 5 months ago I might have reacted the same way.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    People want there to be a different answer other than the answer.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I don't bother any more.
    Sometimes people ask, I just say I don't eat processed foods. If they are interested they ask more and a give a bit more info. If still interested, I'll tell them more. I don't mention paleo/primal. If they can't/won't do it then that's their choice - I'm not their keeper.

Poppi is offline Member
    I once had the following conversation with a grocery store clerk (this was before I went Primal):

Her: "Why are you buying all the gluten free stuff?"
    Me: "I have Celiac so I can't eat anything with wheat, barley, spelt etc in it or I get very sick."
    Her: "Oh my God, I'd kill myself if I couldn't have bread and pasta."
    Me: ".... um... You do realize you just said my life wasn't worth living, right?"
    Her: *blink blink... blank stare*

I wish that was an isolated incident too. It's shocking how many people have told me they would commit suicide if they had to live with my dietary restrictions.

Poppi is offline Member
    And it is rather amazing what people think they can't do. I have had a lifelong phobia of needles. I used to have to lay down when I had blood drawn because I would faint, really quite pathetic.

I found out when I got pregnant with my youngest child that I had a serious medical condition that could kill both of us. The only solution was to give myself shots every 12 hours for my entire pregnancy and 2 months beyond.

So many people told me that they could never do it. I will admit the first shot I had to do myself was scary but I wanted that baby and I wanted to live so I would have stuck that needle in my eye if I had to. When push comes to shove you do what you need to do, right? Are we somehow the minority who are willing to take steps to protect our health?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast