Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "I could never do that." page 8

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had been primal for six or seven months and my parents had watched me lose 20 lbs while staying healthy over that period. Then we went to a restaurant for dinner with them. I ordered a bacon cheese burger with mushrooms and avocado, no bun. Probably coleslaw as the side. My folks ordered, and split, a large salad with salmon on it. When the food came, and we began eating, my mother asked me if I ate a lot of salads (as we had been chatting about diets). I said "nope, I don't really like a lot of salad. I eat this food mostly (pointing to my meal). I only eat salad once a week or so."

Shortly after that, my dad tried primal for four weeks.

I think people who say "I could never give up bread" are of the mindset that giving up bread wouldn't leave much to eat because the SAD rules out good meats and other great foods that we all love to eat. They don't realize (until they see it) that they give up bread, but they get to eat bacon, avocado, steak, etc.
    Last edited by PBNewby; 07-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm afraid you fell for a spambot there.
    Ah, could be--I just figured it was some weird troll.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Much like when people say they could never give up pasta and really mean pasta sauce, I think people who couldn't give up bread just miss the yeast or something. Your common American bread is kind of...tasteless.

M.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    It amazes that some people can be so weak willed to find reducing processed foods impossible. Its amazing they can even wake up everyday for work.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think people use the word "could," where the word "would" is more correct.

A lot is about perception. Ray Kroc bought McD in 1961, so if a person is old enough (me) they didn't grow up with a McD on every major thoroughfare. I'm not saying that we didn't occasionally eat fast food (especially Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips which is now defunct), but it was thought of as a break for Mom, not a go-to source of food.

Same for pasta and bread. Except for packed lunches for school, weekend breakfasts, and on holidays, there wasn't bread at every meal. Even though we're Italian, I remember baked ziti and lasagna being special, not the norm. And they were special because they required more work than boiling up pasta and pouring a jar of sauce over the top. Even macaroni and cheese was baked, not from a box.

So, when people say they couldn't, what they're really saying is that they wouldn't give up the convenience of a five minute meal for their health.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Jendara is offline Member
    I haven't told anyone yet.

On hubby's side, his mum is a homeopathic doctor and nateropath, and honestly, she's AWESOME when it comes to health, healing and being ruthless about your diet. On the other hand, she's sold on grains, and tries not to have too much red meat or fats.
    I'm afraid we'll tell her and she'll just shake her head and list a really complicated set of reasons why this is a bad idea....

On my side I have a mum and dad who do WW and count points.
    She likes being able to eat crap, and still call it a diet.
    I briefly told her about how we're cutting out wheat and starches and she just said: "It's not sustainable. You'll lose weight, then start eating carbs again and balloon".
    Which is true, for her. She did Atkins, lost weight, then starting eating the same way again and just swelled up.

I don't think she gets the whole "lifestyle change" part of it... hmm.

~Jen

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    So, when people say they couldn't, what they're really saying is that they wouldn't give up the convenience of a five minute meal for their health.
    Well said. I think that statement captures it perfectly.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Why does it bewilder people that, when they get off their "get fat" diet, lose weight and then get fat again when they go back on the "get fat" diet?

M.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Why does it bewilder people that, when they get off their "get fat" diet, lose weight and then get fat again when they go back on the "get fat" diet?

M.
    Because nom nom nom.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Because the propaganda tells them that they will reach a point where it suddenly gets easy. Most often that point is said to be the reaching of their target weight.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678