Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: "I could never do that." page 7

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have a friend that weighs about as much as I do and when I was losing weight on paleo last summer I raved to her about how easy it was - how I felt satisfied on fewer calories, had more energy for exercise and my skin was getting clearer. I was losing weight without any effort beyond sticking to the plan and taking regular walks (often just walking to work).

She expressed interest then because she was working on losing weight too, on just strict calorie restriction, and wasn't getting results as good as mine.

Fast forward to this year and she gave up on her diet long before I fell off the wagon with primal. I knew as soon as my GI testing was done that I wanted to return to paleo so invited friends and family that had expressed interest to join me in a 21 day challenge. (They got to pick their own paleo plan - some chose primal, some 21 DSD, etc.). Of course I invited her too. But she said no, she didn't think she could do it right now. But I follow her on Pinterest and I keep seeing her post cupcake and dessert recipes and rarely a borderline healthy recipe, but that is almost always "low fat". I just keep thinking, "Oh sweety, if you really want this - I showed you how - we can do it together!"

But no. She say she wants to lose weight but nothing about her lifestyle says she's really ready.

I keep hoping she'll change her mind, because she is one of my friends that I think could most benefit from paleo. But you can't force someone to do it.

I'm also trying to get my mom and dad on board because of their health issues, even got Practical Paleo for my mom for Christmas. I think they are receptive but hesitant to give up some of their favorite foods. I'm hoping my example will help them to follow suit as they see my health improve.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    I think part of the problem is that people think this is an all-or-nothing deal and you'll get kicked out of the club and have your decoder ring revoked if someone catches you eating a peanut.

Honestly, I have not completely given up the things I love, I've just severely reduced the amount of sugar and carbs I consume (hell, I'm sipping on a Pepsi Throwback while typing this--one of the two I'll drink during the week), and it still works pretty well--I think it'd be good if more people looked at it this way. You can still lose a pound per week on the 80/20 rule, even if it's like 70/30, etc. ... just don't use "well, I can't totally give up carbs and sugar" as an excuse to not even try to cut back.

Having said that, I'm having that issue with my husband--if I don't make dinner, he'll have bread with processed cheese on it, chips, and soda. I've tried to talk him into at least cutting back on the carbs like I have, and he'll just laugh it off like it's impossible for him. It's especially annoying because he has health problems that I think could be improved if he improved his diet, but he won't even try it.

I mean, I used to take up about the bottom 2 inches of my coffee cup with sugar, thinking that was the only way I could ever drink coffee because I'd been doing it since I was like 10 ... and now I only use one spoonful each of sugar and truvia. If I can cut way back on sugar, anybody can.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

I'm so used to facebook--I want to click "Like" on so many of your replies.

I agree that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. I was very strict in the beginning because that worked for me, but I know other people who gave things up slowly. And I don't worry too much when I eat out. I like to eat out, so I do my best to order something close to primal. Last night I was at a British-type fish and chips place. I got a steak sandwich without a bun and substituted a salad for the fries. It was excellent!!! There was some kind of bleu cheese sauce on the steak with sautéed mushrooms. I have no idea exactly what was in the sauce, but by not having the bun or fries I didn't blow it as much as I could have. My sister was with me and she's been toying with the idea of going primal. I could see her looking at my meal as if she was thinking maybe it was something she COULD do. That's the part people don't get--it's soooooo doable!!!
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

LittleHobbit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann of the Jungle View Post
    I'm so used to facebook--I want to click "Like" on so many of your replies.

I agree that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. I was very strict in the beginning because that worked for me, but I know other people who gave things up slowly. And I don't worry too much when I eat out. I like to eat out, so I do my best to order something close to primal. Last night I was at a British-type fish and chips place. I got a steak sandwich without a bun and substituted a salad for the fries. It was excellent!!! There was some kind of bleu cheese sauce on the steak with sautéed mushrooms. I have no idea exactly what was in the sauce, but by not having the bun or fries I didn't blow it as much as I could have. My sister was with me and she's been toying with the idea of going primal. I could see her looking at my meal as if she was thinking maybe it was something she COULD do. That's the part people don't get--it's soooooo doable!!!
    *like*

I have been eating low carb for 2 years before cancer hit (and they told me my chance to survive the next 5 years was at 30 percent. so I fucked it all and ate whatever I liked. Here I am now, 90 ponds heavier, still alive and struggling to go back)

A lot of people event didnt realize I didnt eat sugar and carb heavy things. they asked me why I am so sporty and I told them how I eat. it was "omg I never could do that". than they realized me eating and going out with them. realized at barbecues I just ate the meat and sausages and salads without the boring bread, or salad with yummy tmoatoe sauce instead of the spaghettis and they saw: man, its not that hard, is it? ^^

there are still peeps that say "I could never do without cupcakes/sweets/noodles". And they dont even want to hear the alternatives. I think these people are not addressed by reason. It is emotional eating.

If they are not ready to try everything possible, even gradually and with tricks you tell them, they are not ready to change. You just have to wait until they are ready, everything else is wasted energy....

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have run into this a few times....especially my ABSOLUTE biggest fat loss secret of hiking after 24-36 hours of fasting. I swear I am going to write a book about it some day.

I am not a hard and fast rules guy when it comes to diet. I am not paleo or primal more than 70% of the time. The remainder is a lot of tortillas, beans, and rice....the thing is that I am very careful when these are taken in. I.E. Just ate a massive burrito after fasting 26 hours and a 90 min workout. I think rules are for people that don't understand physiology, because its study deplores rules. There are always caveats.

I don't really get much "no way" because of this...bc there isn't really a title to what I do. Anytime I get a question about my regimen, I just say the following:

"Oh, well I am crazy. Without that my plan won't work. Insanity and masochism are part of the regimen."

Not entirely true, but it saves me the time of explaining glycogen levels, fasting protocols, carb cycling, paleo, etc...."Oh me? Yeah, I'm nuts. Don't listen to me. It won't work unless you are also off the reservation."

I have no need to evangelize my regimen to my friends or family, so I guess that helps a lot

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro67bert View Post
    But anyway
    Is there EVER a point to your posts? They never make any sense--just half of a sentence and an angry emoticon, every single time. Why?
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    Is there EVER a point to your posts? They never make any sense--just half of a sentence and an angry emoticon, every single time. Why?
    Because he's retarded !

Alaskarunner2002 is offline Junior Member
    I try and mention paleo to people and they don't want to hear it, it's easier to NOT really try to lose weight and bitch about it!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    I'm afraid you fell for a spambot there.

Alaskarunner2002 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    I have a friend that weighs about as much as I do and when I was losing weight on paleo last summer I raved to her about how easy it was - how I felt satisfied on fewer calories, had more energy for exercise and my skin was getting clearer. I was losing weight without any effort beyond sticking to the plan and taking regular walks (often just walking to work).

She expressed interest then because she was working on losing weight too, on just strict calorie restriction, and wasn't getting results as good as mine.

Fast forward to this year and she gave up on her diet long before I fell off the wagon with primal. I knew as soon as my GI testing was done that I wanted to return to paleo so invited friends and family that had expressed interest to join me in a 21 day challenge. (They got to pick their own paleo plan - some chose primal, some 21 DSD, etc.). Of course I invited her too. But she said no, she didn't think she could do it right now. But I follow her on Pinterest and I keep seeing her post cupcake and dessert recipes and rarely a borderline healthy recipe, but that is almost always "low fat". I just keep thinking, "Oh sweety, if you really want this - I showed you how - we can do it together!"

But no. She say she wants to lose weight but nothing about her lifestyle says she's really ready.

I keep hoping she'll change her mind, because she is one of my friends that I think could most benefit from paleo. But you can't force someone to do it.

I'm also trying to get my mom and dad on board because of their health issues, even got Practical Paleo for my mom for Christmas. I think they are receptive but hesitant to give up some of their favorite foods. I'm hoping my example will help them to follow suit as they see my health improve.
    Some people...actually a lot of them..want to be able to bitch about their weight...too much effort to really change anything...I'm finding this true as I listen to friends, patients, Ect...sad

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast