Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: "I could never do that." page 6

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wish I heard "I could never do that" since it sounds congratulatory. I only get wild deficiency concerns.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I think I could never do something, I try to break it down into doable pieces. After falling a couple of years ago, and limping for close to six weeks, I thought I'd never be able to walk effortlessly for 90 minutes ever again. Baby steps. And though I still feel occasional foot pain if I walk much more than an hour at once, I believe that eventually, those 90 minute walks will become a daily thing again. (Because after all, two months after I fell, even 10 minute walks hurt.)

Same with weight or IF. Don't worry about losing 100 pounds. Lose 10 pounds. Then do it nine more times. Don't worry about going 24-48 hours without food. Start by skipping the meal that is more about habit than hunger. Then go from there. We're so habituated by certain things that we mentally constrain ourselves to sometimes fail before we even start.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

Paleobird Guest
    I have a dear friend who is an awesome chef for his own catering firm. He has recently gone through having a cancerous tumor removed from his spine and radiation therapy. He is facing chemo next and so asked my advice on the subject.

I gave him all the (copious) research I have on the benefits of ketosis for cancer cell eradication. (Not telling him to fire his oncologst, just that this could be a helpful adjunct therapy.)

His reply about giving up bread and pasta? "I could never do that."

OK, so you would rather roll the dice and possibly die? How did having a piece of bread become more important than survival?

SMH.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have a dear friend who is an awesome chef for his own catering firm. He has recently gone through having a cancerous tumor removed from his spine and radiation therapy. He is facing chemo next and so asked my advice on the subject.

I gave him all the (copious) research I have on the benefits of ketosis for cancer cell eradication. (Not telling him to fire his oncologst, just that this could be a helpful adjunct therapy.)

OK, so you would rather roll the dice and possibly die? How did having a piece of bread become more important than survival?

SMH.
    Reminds me of that line from Fight Club: "I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species."

Not that I want to visit violence on anyone at all, ever, it just reminds me of that line.

M.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member

That speaks to the addictive qualities of wheat. For some people it's probably right up there with nicotine.

DD has a friend (and sister and mother) with celiac. I used to think their diet must seem almost unbearable, but as I've cut more and more grains from my diet, I realize the food choices are easy. The issue of cross contamination makes eating out a nightmare though.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    I love Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, he has a beautiful book about eating, The Physiology of Taste and I would like to take a quote from it
    "The fate of a nation depends on the way that they eat."

Are we really just a bunch of "I can't do that" people? Come on humanity, pull your faces out of the sugar free jello and fake whipped cream for 2 seconds and think about what you're setting yourself up for.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

SMH.
    I have a diabetic brother that said just about the same thing, I was thinking at the time but you're okay with losing body parts?
    We have sister in law (another brother's ex wife) who is an alcoholic and the whole family (everyone except me is overweight and 2 are diabetic) is appalled at the mess she's made of her life, she's gone to rehab many times and yet they don't see anything wrong with the way they are ruining their lives with the way they are eating. I've shared so much info with them, bought them books showed them how to make paleo foods and it has fallen on deaf ears.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Cat804 is offline Junior Member
    My husband is like this- he feels entitled to his crap food even though it's not good for him, and he's a sugar addict. I've done my MDA evangelist best, but in the end he's a grown up and he makes his own decisions. It's odd because he sees my results and supports me, he just won't do it for himself.

----------
    Gettinghealthyc.blogspot.com

LittleHobbit is offline Junior Member
    I was like this... until I got knee problems after an event where I had to walk much. Decided that it is going to be the other direction now!

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I must admit, I knew about Mark's Daily Apple well over a year before I decided to try it. It seemed pretty extreme and just not doable for me, what do you mean Nooatmeal??? crazy... but after the Doctor gave me warning notices of Statins, I took it very seriously and dived right in.

I hear all the time, "how did you lose all that weight?" (Particularly I think because it was dramatic for me in how quick, 50lbs in 5 months, people thought I must be ill), but the second I say remove all grains, the blank stares pop out, and I hear "what on earth do you eat?" I have a friend who is very overweight and complains and says she is trying to lose all the time. I have told her all about the diet but she can't can't seem to wrap her head around it to give it an honest try. Her dog is also very overweight, she just can't seem to stop overfeeding and giving it treats all the time. She honestly doesn't think she is doing anything wrong, doesn't understand why he is heavy. Emotional eating is a huge problem.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast