Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "I could never do that." page 5

Kariberry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My favorite is when my friends/fam get concerned because they think I'm not eating often enough. They think that since they eat oh... I don't know.... every two freaking hours! ... and I only eat 2 or 3 times a day, I'm STARVING myself. They are convinced that I am ruining my metabolism - never mind that I've dropped 40 lbs in the last year, I'm in the best shape ever, and I look 10 years younger - FOR GOD SAKES I'M RUINING MY METABOLISM!!!!

I'm not even going to bring up IF... I'll never hear the end of it!!

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post
    I hope you are giving him a shit-ton of shit about that....
    Nah. I just make sure that I eat delicious things in front of him. The rest kinda works itself out, ya know?
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashamahleyyy View Post
    Of course I have trouble! "You mean you want to eat all that fat?" Yep. Pass the bacon! What's amazing is how easy it was to transition..I loved big bowls of spaghetti but then when you think about it, what does spaghetti, or any pasta for that matter, taste like? It's the sauce I enjoyed so now I put it over spaghetti squash or "spaghetti-ed" zucchini.

No need for carb overload..I think that's what people have a hard time comprehending. There are great alternatives that are at your fingertips and are much more healthy.
    Once I was at a catered event and the lunch was gorgeous homecooked organic pasta and sauce. I said, oh, no pasta please, and the chef said, oh dear, that's all we have, so I just had a big bowl of the sauce on its own. That was fantastic and did me for the whole afternoon... while the others were sagging two hours later...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It took me forever to convince my mother that my not eating breakfast was not going to result in my imminent demise. She would buy me special gluten-free foods and mixes, stuff that sounds like it ought to be okay but is never safe (like oatmeal). Imitation crabmeat. Like, no Mom, I can't eat that. I don't eat breakfast anyway.

Kariberry is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The correct response to "I could never do that" is "Sucks to be you then, fatty" <eats bacon, drops microphone, exits post-haste>
    *wipes coffee off computer screen and face* man that was funny!

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    That's what I said when I first heard about primal/paleo. It took a couple of years and me wanting to change my health to really consider it seriously. When you're on the other side it is a VERY daunting prospect. Once you've made the changes it all seems easy and reasonable, but it's hard to make changes that have been so ingrained it us.

JennHeart is offline Junior Member
    I've tried so hard to get my mom to give up the junk diet she eats, or at least add a few healthy things. She eats nothing but processed white carbs, soda, starch vegetables (if any at all), processed meat, fried food and fast food. I'm afraid she's literally eating herself to death, but she absolutely won't change a thing. I invite my mom, dad, and brother to dinner with us, and serve healthy stuff. Last night, I made chicken breasts and thighs with a Big Ass Salad, roasted rutabaga, acorn squash. I had to make green beans too because my mom or brother wouldn't even try any of the veggies. My dad tried the rutabaga and liked it. It's frustrating and incredibly sad to watch.

All I can do is what I can do. I have a 9 year old that gets all picky about things when she's around because she doesn't eat ANYTHING healthy, so he emulates that. Great. That's something we're working on. I have a toddler that I try to keep from visiting with grandma at mealtime because I don't want her to have to relearn healthy eating. BTW, my toddler (1 1/2y/o) has LOVED the primal diet. Even when she's offered non-primal things, she usually snubs them, or takes a bite and feeds it to the dog.

JennHeart is offline Junior Member
    This is a great post. I'm glad your pregnancy came out well. My son was premature and I would have done anything, absolutely anything, to have kept him gestating a bit longer. People doubt their own strength, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy.

When someone asks, I usually just say I eat a high fat diet with no processed foods and no grain products. They are usually intrigued enough by the "high fat" part to ask for examples of what I would eat in a day. Then you can almost see their brain short-circuiting over how someone can be losing a lot of weight and getting healthier while they're eating all that evil saturated fat, LOL.

I usually don't mention the "P" words (paleo/primal) because they can be problematic when conversing with people who believe that the universe is only 8,000 years old and the paleolithic era never existed, and that humans have eaten bread throughout their entire existence.

Traveller is offline Senior Member
    Went cycling with a friend today, and I accidentally mentioned that I hadn't eaten in 2 days (fasting). She just shook her head (we've been over this before) and said 'I could never do that'. Those exact words. I don't really know how to reply when people say that. This time I just said 'yes, you could', and changed the subject.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast