Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "I could never do that." page 3

prufock is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm no expert in nutrition, so I don't try to convert anyone. I do have one friend that's being tested for celiac/gluten issues and has to cut out wheat etc, and I mostly just joke that "Hey, you'll be eating like me now! Don't worry, it's pretty easy."

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    The correct response to "I could never do that" is "Sucks to be you then, fatty" <eats bacon, drops microphone, exits post-haste>

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't try to convert anybody. I present my dietary restrictions as medically necessary, which some of them are. If somebody said to me they'd kill themselves rather than give up their favorite foods, I'd probably say, "You would if you had to."

It takes real motivation to do this, not something I could inspire someone with zero awareness to do after a little chat.

The fact is that weight loss dieting is a form of compulsive gambling. Everybody's had enough success at least once in their life to let them believe that the next time they could win the big one. And then the next magical leap of faith tells them they could keep the weight off forever. A part of them thinks they could somehow stay happily on some horribly restrictive crash diet forever to keep the pounds from coming back, but they also believe that they will be able to dump the diet and go back to their normal way of eating but not gain weight.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I am only interested in improving my closest relatives' health. Unfortunately, I live quite far from them. I did explain to them by email and over skype how I improved my health and what they should be careful about. After that, it is up to them to make necessary changes. I am not taking them by the hands. As to the more distant circles of relations, I don't even spend time in trying. Marks' endeavor to help 10 million people is quite ambitious ... But if I can improve my close relatives' health, I would be more than happy.

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    People who notice I have lost weight will ask what I'm doing. My usual answer is "I cut out everything that is processed/packaged and stick to real food". I will explain more if they want to hear, usually they don't. I think they are wanting to hear something like I am taking this pill....

I met my boyfriend after I was already primal. He questioned why I don't eat bread, etc. I explained why I do it, and would send him articles and such explaining benefits of paleo. He slowly is changing his ways. Not because I am telling him he should, but because he wants to and sees the benefits. And he doesn't even need to lose weight!

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    I had some serious health problems when I stumbled across MDA and another Paleo webpage on the same day. It made immediately so much sense to me that it was no problem for me to make changes. After a while I realized that many of the health problems my mom had could be due to high carb and gluten sensitivity. So I told her about the primal diet, but of course she immediately said "No bread? No pasta? No way!" But she did read "Life without bread" (one of the few books available in German) and found all her problems described there. So finally she tried it and feels so much better now. She does miss pasta and bread, but thinks the gain she gets is much better than the price she pays.

DH and his family are different. Bread, cake and cookies are the basis of their diet and they all would rather die than stop eating cake and cookies. All have some health issues and are overweight. But they don't care. I have stopped explaining what I eat and why I eat that way. But each weekend I spend there I get those "poor girl can't eat cookies and cake" looks... They don't understand that I don't miss cookies and cake!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are addictive components to wheat. And the sugar so often found in it is addictive, too. Some of those who enjoy it the most are truly addicted.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Just means MOAR MEATZ for the rest of us, right?

Not going to go and sympathize with panda's that wont screw to save their species, certainly not going to sympathize with people who won't drop the junk to save themselves.

M.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Just means MOAR MEATZ for the rest of us, right?

Not going to go and sympathize with panda's that wont screw to save their species, certainly not going to sympathize with people who won't drop the junk to save themselves.

M.
    Not to mention, recycling and speed limits are bullshit. It's like quitting smoking on your deathbed.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    I've pretty much stopped discussing it with people because most don't have a clue. They usually start telling me how they are doing their bit by switching from white bread to brown and buying low fat spread etc....I usually change the subject quickly !

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast