Thread: Vegetable fats tied to less prostate cancer spread page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Vegetable fats tied to less prostate cancer spread

Primal Fuel
    Vegetable fats tied to less prostate cancer spread

The study has all the usual problems -

• Based on questionnaire every four years.
    • Doesn't distinguish what kind of saturated or vegetable fat the men were eating.
    • Doesn't seem to account for other lifestyle differences.

But this is interesting:

. . . switching 10 percent of daily calories from carbohydrates to vegetable fat was linked to a 29 percent lower risk of lethal prostate cancer and a 26 percent lower chance of dying from any cause.
    I don't have access to the whole JAMA article and I don't understand all the statistics. Maybe someone else does.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Interesting. Actually they do point out that vegetable fats are primarily nuts and olive oil. No shocker that these are healthy....and a big part of my primal diet BTW. They freely admit that..."Because how animals are fed and how meats are cooked may both affect cancer risks associated with eating animal fats, Freedland said, "It becomes difficult to say, ‘Animals are bad; vegetables are good.' It's not that simple." So there is that. Refreshing to see this actually put out there as a confounding factor by the scientist themselves. Looks like they are catching on.

He says two things I can get behind:

"He recommends that men with prostate cancer cut out simple sugars and processed foods, as that is one of the easiest ways to get to a healthy weight. But not all fat should go."

"I think there's enough established benefit that you're not going to do any harm by adding nuts or olive oil,"

I agree with both those observations, and with their own understanding that not all animal fat is created equal I think its a pretty balanced write up all in all.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    "I think there's enough established benefit that you're not going to do any harm by adding nuts or olive oil,"
    Careful, NH. The PUFA patrol might hear you.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 06-10-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is almost entirely monounsaturated, and I don't think there's enough established benefit that you're not not going to do any harm by adding nuts.

"Limited research shows, but does not proof, that 1 serving of nuts a day limits heart disease." It's all the same in your body, the fats go rancid fast. The vitamin e in nuts only goes so far to displace the harmful effects of PUFA.

Seems like more pro seed/veg oil propaganda.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 06-10-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant