Thread: New Starter - Excited!! page

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member

New Starter - Excited!!

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I'm introducing myself. I'm new to Primal, having been following Atkins for a while - on / off for 15 years.

The reason I've come over here is in a large part, the exercise regime. I used to have horses so was keeping pretty fit (lifting heavy things / sprinting after loose horses etc) but since moving from the UK to Canada, I've not kept that up and finding myself in need of something.

I have a very old injury to my back and hips (chronic - 25 years of sciatica), and an ACL replacement was performed 2 years ago. I'm hyper-mobile and suffer with over extensions alot. I ski / walk / / cycle / hike and sail a 30ft boat once or twice a week, but have not done much in the way of jogging because of my back. I probably should swim more, but don't like public pools !!

I did my first 'lifting heavy things' routine today - minus the pull up as I don't have a bar. I'm at the first level for each, but as you have to start somewhere I'm pretty positive that will improve over time.

Anyway, this is my first ever post here, so I'm looking forward to getting the hang of this.

Thanks for reading!
    PG!

james9 is offline Junior Member
    Hi PG,

Ive also just gone Primal and just want wish you all the best on your journey. I also followed Atkins for some time but i suffered a few negative affects from the diet even though i did reap many benefits. Since changing to the Primal lifestyle i have never felt better. Just thought id say hello and welcome to the Primal Life

Kind regards,
    James9

Quote Originally Posted by james9 View Post
    Hi PG,

Ive also just gone Primal and just want wish you all the best on your journey. I also followed Atkins for some time but i suffered a few negative affects from the diet even though i did reap many benefits. Since changing to the Primal lifestyle i have never felt better. Just thought id say hello and welcome to the Primal Life

Kind regards,
    James9
    Hi!!

Thanks for saying Hello!

Can I ask what the major diet / eating changes were? I've always kept it pretty clean on Atkins (no bars / shakes), but had quite a bit of dairy which I'm cutting down on. Probably not the strictest personally, but I'm seeking progress, not perfection!!

PG!

james9 is offline Junior Member
    Hey,

Well when i changed to atkins, i was extremely strict. I suppose you could have called me an extremist. I cut out all forms of carbs as they said you shoud and did not eat any form of vegetation at all. I basically just ate protein and fats (meat and animal fat) but i did include some dairy for beverages, other than that i ate nothing else. I must say that took its toll on me but i did reach my goals physically with ease but i couldnt maintain that lifestlye and i feel that i was depriving myself of valuable nutrients gained from certain vegetarion. Since i changed to the primal lifestyle ive kept the previous proteins and fats in my diet but have also added certain other foods such as eggs, leafy greens and other fats such as avocados and i must say that i havie felt such a difference. I dont eat any forms of dairy other than some milk in coffee or butter for cooking. Thats about it. I must say i agree with what you say, it really is all about progress not perfection.

James9

Hey James,

WOW! That is one hard thing to keep up long term. I'm pretty happy with what I eat these days, I include green veggies, mushrooms, onions, avocados, lettuce, cucumbers. I avoid peppers because I don't like them, and tomatoes as they rage with my arthritis. I do eat dairy, heavy cream in cooking and coffee cream in my coffee. I used to have a tonne more dairy but have reduced it down to where it's at now. I believe quinoa is OK in Primal and some rice which suits me. I'm no potato eater anyway. And I'm sore today after I did the 'heavy lifting' day yesterday. I'm going to start a journal I think!
    Have a good day.
    PG!

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Hello. I am a newbie too. Started a couple weeks ago. I cut out all grains completely because Mark Sisson stresses how useless they are and how they can actually affect your progress. But that's just me. It's good to have some sweet potato with some protein after a strenuous workout to refuel. Good luck with your lifestyle change.

PRO199 is offline Senior Member
    Another newbie checking in and saying HI
    Right now I have ditched all processed foods (um, I did have a beer Monday, so I've almost ditched them), and strive for just under 50 carb grams a day. Not much room for a potato or other starchy carbs that are not processed. Most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies right now. Keeping it plain and simple to get started. In time, I will need to get more creative as I get bored with plain and simple.

Best of luck!
    Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO199 View Post
    Another newbie checking in and saying HI
    Most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies right now. Keeping it plain and simple to get started. In time, I will need to get more creative as I get bored with plain and simple.
    For me, I try to keep the fruit to a minimum while I am trying to lose weight just to avoid the sugar. Maybe a piece in the morning and thats it. I do however eat veggies like a grazing cow. Fruit is still better than refined sugar.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-12-2013 at 02:34 AM.