Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on an immediate food reaction? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Opinions on an immediate food reaction?

Primal Fuel
    Before last night, I've only had one food in my life induce an immediate gag reaction and that is scallops. I just can't get them down. And if they're hidden in something, I get them down and then feel nauseous.

Last night I had a violent reaction to anchovies. I've eaten them since I was a kid. I hadn't eaten them in awhile because locally they only come in cans not labelled BPA-free. I found them in jars. I put a fork in the jar and put some on a piece of cheese. Yum, chew, swallow. And honestly, fewer than 15 seconds later, I was vomiting. I tried some by itself to see if it was the anchovy, and again, no repulsion on the taste, but an almost immediate vomit reaction. I tried a piece of the cheese to see if maybe I had a stomach bug, and the cheese went down fine.

WTF? Can anyone figure what's going on? I am by no means a fussy eater. I love all kinds of nasty, stinky fish, cheeses, etc. Is it possible to develop a food allergy or reaction this late in life? The "use by" date 2015 on the product, and I've eaten this brand before.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean by 'this late in life?' I did not develop my food allergies until recently, and I'm in my 20s. I think people can develop allergies at any time. Maybe you're allergic to whatever they are pickled in.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Definitely check out what they're pickled in.

Could you be eating something else that's causing you to be more sensitive? I was eating cashews (not primal, but they got me through). I found that if I had been eating them for a couple of days I became sensitive to other foods. I ended up spending half a day in bed on vacation after eating raw onions, but only because I had also been eating cashews. I never would have been able to make the connection before, but now that my diet is so straightforward it was fairly easy to narrow it down. I have completely cut out cashews and can eat raw vegetables again.
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

I'm 58. The jar states that they are packed in olive oil. I use olive oil all the time with no adverse reactions.

Ann, I did wonder about that. I eat sardines on a regular basis now rather than just a fun food once in awhile. Honestly, even though sardines are the consummate Grok food, I'd gladly give them up for the ability to eat anchovies.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

fresa is offline Member
    It's only my personal experience, but I developed my wheat allergy at 21. My mother developed her wheat allergy at 44, and her shellfish allergy at 48. With shellfish in particular, she had a violent reaction. She had been eating it her entire life without a problem (and we live in a relatively coastal area), then one time she suddenly went into anaphylactic shock. Now she has an epipen and everything. So, in my experience you can definitely develop a food allergy at any age. No idea what triggers it though :/

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Food poisoning? Could the seal have been bad on your jar? Yes you can develop an allergy at any time in your life. My younger daughter reacts to peppers that way even though she likes them.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take a few days and just live on bone broth. No supplements (except maybe some D because I get sad when I skip it too long), no coffee, just broth and water. I'm still feeling a little icky.

B*tch-lite

Patti is offline Senior Member
    My mother developed a shellfish allergy in her late 40's, my sister developed a seafood allergy in her teens. Both reacted with vomiting initially and anaphylactic shock on subsequent unintended exposures. I don't know why there was a sudden onset, but my mother was incredibly disappointed since she loved to eat seafood of all types. I'm in my early 50's and hoping that I don't have the same thing happen eventually.

If you try other types of seafood to test your reaction, either keep an epipen handy or do so near an ER. If you don't have a reaction and it was food poisoning or something of that nature, then no harm done. If it is the development of an allergy, then you don't want to risk your life for a serving of salmon.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, allergies can come on later. I didn't develop an allergy to kiwi fruit until I was 35. And the allergy I used to have to cilantro has gone away. Go figure.

The fact that your reaction was that instantaneous does argue for it being an allergic reaction rather than a food poisoning episode.

I hope you feel better.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    J - you wee thing. I so hnope that you re feeling better. Could the jar have been off? Althoughh it usually takes 4 - 24 hours for food poisoning to develop
    Anyway take care and flush that litle sucker out with lots of water (ahem•and maybe a little whiskey•ahem, cough, sputter)
    Hugs from gwamma
    X
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast