Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Occasional sugar/junk food binges page

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member

Occasional sugar/junk food binges

I have been primal for about 1.5 years, and I love everything about the diet, and lifestyle that seems to go with it. I have noticed one thing that has seemed to creep up every once in a while I will get a bag of candies, and eat the whole thing, then get a headache and instantly regret it. This is usually about once every 3-4 weeks.

I try to keep the carbs down quite low, lately I have been eating a lot more meats, and less vegetables lately. I usually only have lunch, and dinner, no breakfast. If I have anything more than coffee in the morning I feel that I need to eat something by about 10-11, and that is when I usually eat junk. When I used to have a big scramble with eggs, meat and vegetables for breakfast, and a lot more vegetables, and nuts I would still occasionally binge.

Any tips, and tricks to avoid the junk food binges??

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I find that it's easy to avoid food binges by simply not having ready-to-eat food available. If you binge on sugary goods, don't buy them. You could also see if less-sweet sugary treats will cure your cravings; I'll have 90% dark chocolate, and it's fine for me. It used to taste bitter to me, but I have gotten acclimated to it, I think from not having super sugary stuff anymore. I never get a headache from a square of dark.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

At the most I keep a single dark chocolate bar in my desk, and usually make one bar last a week or so. Some days on my "coffee break" I walk over to the starbucks in the Safeway about a block from my work. I usually get an espresso with just a bit of cream, or skip my break, and have some tea at my desk, but it is way too easy to grab something very unhealthy there. I don't have much weight to loose at all (5' 10" about 180lbs)

Another thing that I have tried is to have an apple, or other fruit, but that seems to make me even more likely to crave sugar. I am sure that up until I eat my lunch I am in ketosis since I just have coffee that is either black, or with butter in the morning. I am not sure if I should be doing something else to get myself out of ketosis before lunch, or something?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Black coffee with butter. I must try this.

I don't know, I find that if I have coffee in the morning (I usually don't eat breakfast), I will get hungrier way sooner before lunch than I normally would. Maybe try not having the coffee, then you will survive until lunch time. Starbucks, that is a challenging plcae not to get something sugary. Maybe try going through the drive through, if there is one, so you don't actually see the pastries.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

I never buy anything from starbucks other then coffee, or espresso. I am lucky to be cheap, and see the $2.50 crap there, and have no apatite for it, but the $0.39 doughnut from Safeway that is another story. Unfortunately there is only one other coffee shop near my work, but the lineup is crazy long, so I can't go to that one on my break. And the drive through is a good idea, but the parkade I park in is about 5 blocks away, so to walk there, and back on my break is impossible, and they are moving me to a different parkade about 6 blocks away...At least I get a short walk in at least twice a day lol.

If you have a nice dark coffee with butter, and coconut oil it is so good!!! It just takes a while to get the right amounts in there.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I just don't buy that stuff. There was a time when I would spend every evening eating entire bags of candy and chips while staring at my TV. Then I stopped.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

fresa is offline Member
    This may be harsh, but it sounds like you are making some excuses. Saying things like "it's way too easy to (insert eating junk here)" when you know that you will feel poorly afterwards physically is really just fighting yourself. The headache is your body's way of telling you that it's a bad decision! What is even easier (in the literal sense) is walking past it, not picking it up, and not buying it. I would either make a promise to myself to exercise some more self control with this, or just let it go. After all, one doughnut or bag of candy every 3-4 weeks isn't the end of the world. It's one of those things you might have to choose: you can buckle down, or you can have your doughnut, enjoy it, and not stress. If it is that extremely difficult, let that be your 80/20 and stay clean the rest of the time. A single doughnut once a month is not worth the agonizing and guilt, IMO! I totally understand your problem, and ultimately this is what I had to learn to do, for my own sake.

Also, I know for me that fruit is a trigger, so I either eat it very slowly so it lasts a long time, or avoid it. I also know that if I let myself get too hungry or thirsty, my self-control gets weaker. Maybe keep primal snacks that are not chocolatey handy as a preemptive strike before you walk over to get that coffee?

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Well, to avoid the Safeway temptation, you could take a coworker and instruct them to harass you if you head toward the bakery to keep yourself accountable

As far as the rest of the time...since it happens so infrequently and you aren't battling weight or metabolic dysfunction, what about just giving yourself permission to have the crap once in a while? For me, doing this took the 'badass-ness' of eating crap away and I found I stopped after a few bites rather eating than the whole bag because after all it's just sugary crap and, meh, it doesn't taste as good as I expect it will.

How come you're keeping your carbs so low? Just curious...I don't think a once-a-month binge on Smarties is caused by your body crying out for carbs or anything.

All in all, I wouldn't sweat it all that much, other than how it makes you feel like garbage after. I don't really know what to suggest, because if I decide I truly want something that's not 'primal', I have it and get it out of my system. It doesn't happen often anymore, once I started giving myself permission to just eat whatever it is. That said, I tend to go for things like locally made gelato or a homemade cookie. Treats from the Safeway bakery, or Starbucks for that matter, don't even register as tasty to me anymore.

I have been lowering my carbs since I just find that I have more stable energy when I minimize my carb, and fruit consumption. I don't really stress out about, or even count my carbs, but I have just been adjusting my diet, and seeing how I feel. With no breakfast I am much more awake during the day, and limiting my fruits to primarily berries has me snacking a lot less.

I know it is not the end of the world binging once every three weeks or so, but I just hate the way that I feel for the rest of the day after I eat that crap. I think I will try to find some more primal snack foods to pack in my lunch, and see how that goes. My main 20% cheat is drinking homemade wine that I make with my wife. That is one that I don't feel guilty about at all!!!

As for co-workers go I work with one guy in my department, and he is very unhealthy. He even brought me a doughnut from Jelly (best doughnuts ever!!!!) when I was telling him about all the benefits from cutting grains, and telling him he should try to eat healthier to clear up some of his health problems. His typical lunch is a big container of Chinese food, or some pizza, and he eats chocolate bars almost daily. Not exactly the best person to rely on to help prevent me from eating junk!!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Jelly Modern Doughnuts are the bloody devil. I will not even set foot in that place.

*Sigh*. Stories like this make me glad I don't have to set foot in an office every day and deal with coworkers pushing food on me Chances are, your recommendations are lost on that guy. But you never know, he might be quite willing to hold you to passing on that Safeway doughnut.

If you work down around that 12Ave/8St SW area, you should check out Kawa Espresso Bar on 8th or Analog Coffee on 9th and 17th Ave...way better than Starbucks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast