Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pasture Raised Pork page

lone.star is offline Junior Member

Pasture Raised Pork

Primal Fuel
    I recently found a provider at my local farmers market that supplies GF beef and pasture raised pigs. I'm confident that the beef is GF, but I heard the farmer explaining that he feeds the pigs a mixture of corn, soybeans and molasses to supplement their diet.

Is this common for pasture raised pigs or is there a higher standard that isn't fed supplemented that I should shoot for? I realize that pasture raised pigs certainly will be healthier than their lot raised counterparts as they are allowed to wallow and root around, etc etc. Is this considered primal enough or just marginally better?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    There is no such thing as a grass-fed pig. They will all have supplemental feed. I had a 2 page long explanation from a local supplier about it. The good news is that pork is not evolved to just eat grass (ruminant), it has stomach adapted to deal with other substances as well. So, if you like pork, it may be a good choice.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Would you care to share all that? I was just reading my local meat group's standards and it stated that lambs would "require" grain in addition to grass. For hogs, they don't specify that.

M.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Nope, the e-mail I got was a few month ago when I was trying to secure a spring lamb and tested water for switching a supplier for pork, since our other supplier does not do nitrite free meat processing. In the end I did not, just got the pig raw and cure my own bacon now. I gotta drop the pork though after this year and just stock beef, because of that very concern for pork not being grass-finished.

It might depend on where you are geographically. I am in the north, so we for example cannot get free-range chickens, they will simply drop dead here if they do not have feed and shelter for 6 months of the year....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    We raised 2 hogs this year and they do require an addition of grain. My husband avoided giving our hogs, gmo corn and soybeans by giving them sorghum (sold as Milo) and barley. In addition they were also fed lots of veggies form a market which included: avocadoes, bananas, and potatoes which hubby cooked. We also supplemented with walnuts and acorns.

I doubt that most farmers who raised hogs for $ would put that kind of time into raising the hogs they sold. Corn and soybeans are cheap and easy to use. There is one farmer near us that gives her hogs spent hops from a brewery and she raises lots of veggies so her hogs get that too.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 06-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

lone.star is offline Junior Member
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I know pigs are omnivores and eat a variety of foods, and that pasture raised pigs don't subsist on grass. My question is as follows: is there a more 'primal' feed out there MDA folk want to see their pasture raised pigs eating or is this about as good as it gets. I thought I saw a post about discarded coconut husk or sweet potato feed pigs...

Is the supplement due to lacking enough woodland for them to rummage?

M.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    In order for the hogs to get enough nutrients foraging they would need to have some sort of dense food source such as acorns or walnuts.

Ah; so unless you have quite the woodland, it's not viable then.

M.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought some pastured pork and I'm unhappy. the pork is much better quality and humanely raised, but the fat profile isn't any different than factory farmed. I can tell the pork are eating mostly corn, molasses and whatnot, and although they root around in the woods I don't think that they get their food from the woods.

I will try another source that doesn't feed pigs grains. At least they feed them sweet potatoes and yams as a supplement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast