Thread: Fasting question page

lone.star is offline Junior Member

Fasting question

Primal Fuel
    What is the minimum time without ingesting food that would be considered fasting? I'm tinkering with a two meal a day plan, breakfast and dinner, about 12 hours apart. Does this count or do I have to knock out one of those meals to truly put my body into a fasting state?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What "works" is what works for you, not what fits arbitrary definitions. Try it and see if it does it for you.

I think that counts.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but I am of the understanding that insulin should fall back to pre-meal levels about 5 hours after eating. So I guess with this plan that would mean elevated insulin levels for about 10 hours per day as opposed to 15 hours per day with the 3 square meals approach. But again I must state that I actually have no idea what I am talking about.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

mack patel is offline Junior Member
    The best way to do it is eat between 1 to 8 pm. Sorry u have nice 17 hr fasting which will enhance insulin sensitivity & growth hormone

mack patel is offline Junior Member
    I mean sorry, you have to fast for all that goodness.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Depends on the benefits you want. That schedule isn't ideal for autophagy since you generally want about 16-23 hours with no protein or carbohydrate. For fat loss it'll work fine if your satiety and energy are good.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find it easier to do 2 meals a day (lunch and dinner) rather than breakfast, then dinner. I think it's because between dinner the night before, and lunch the next day, I have slept through half the fast, haha. As for whether it 'counts,' I don't know. See if you see reults. But I have found going one long fast per day was giving me more results than skipping lunch (which I have done before). I guess I just don't understand breakfast; why would people want to wake up and immediately stuff their faces with food? The morning is when you theoretically have the most energy anyway, because you just got up from a long sleep.
    Last edited by kathleen; 06-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.