Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plantar Fascitis anyone? page

NATLES is offline Member

Cool Plantar Fascitis anyone?

Primal Fuel
    I have had plantar fascitis since last summer. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and whether it improved by being primal? Mine was caused by a heel spur and rapid weight gain, I still struggle with it off and on, spending hundreds of dollars and shoes and gadgets.

I was also curious if anyone that has had it had relief or had trouble when wearing the "barefoot" shoes? I have been told I need to wear very supportive shoes since I have flat feet which makes the pf worse but I would think the barefoot shoes would make this much worse. You are not supposed to walk barefoot with pf.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and personal experiences.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    I have no issues when I go barefoot or when wearing flat sandals or water shoes. When I do wear normal shoes and am on my feet for a while, it can be quite painful. I do have a pair of orthotics that I will slip into my shoes if I know I'm going to be in those shoes and on my feet for a long period of time, and they do help. Most of my problems are when I wear normal shoes with no support, and I feel the best with no shoes of any kind on my feet.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I've had good results from doing trigger point therapy as described here:

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/

NATLES is offline Member
    Thanks Huarache Gal. What kind of shoes do you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by NATLES View Post
    Thanks Huarache Gal. What kind of shoes do you wear?
    To run or walk, huaraches (Lunas). For work, Vivobarefoot Mary Janes usually.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    The right shoe for one person will put another person on crutches. Go to a real running shoe store (not a fashion store) and get someone who knows what they are doing to fit you for shoes. If there is pain, the shoes go on the second you stand up out of bed- never walk barefoot. Never use high heels. Wearing high heels even just 1 hour a day changes how the foot functions.

There was a study done in military recruits that some use to say the fitted shoe theory is bogus. Some men were fitted for shoes and some were given neutral shoes and their injury rate was the same. I don't think this necessarily means that people with a known problem don't need the right shoes.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    The right shoe for one person will put another person on crutches. Go to a real running shoe store (not a fashion store) and get someone who knows what they are doing to fit you for shoes. If there is pain, the shoes go on the second you stand up out of bed- never walk barefoot.
    I respectfully disagree.

While I do agree there is no ONE shoe for all people, I believe that using regular shoes or orthotics will not make your feet and legs stronger, but manage to weaken them, necessitating continued support.

I think if you have pain upon rising, you should work on your calves before moving around.

NATLES is offline Member
    I actually went to a really nice specialty shoe store. They have a machine you step on to tell you what type of foot you have, they were highly knowledgeable and trained and they shoes are very comfortable, I bought Brooks (high-end) costing over $100. I have a medium arch and my feet supinate outwardly. I have been to the podiatrist, worn podiatrist fitted orthotics and then very expensive specialized shoes and all the normal treatments for PF. I get some relief but it has never really went away completely.

After reviewing the video mentioned above about trigger points (he mentions trigger points on the inner leg next to the tibia bone), I found on my leg with PF there were trigger points all the way down, extremely painful to push on and work out so I think there is something to this theory and I am willing to try. Here's to barefoot walking and we will see how it goes!!

Thanks everyone!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Acupuncture has helped me. I had plantar fasciitis on my left foot a couple of years ago. It was triggered by running in vibrams without easing into them. I ignored it at first and kept running, and it got so bad that I had to limp around for 2.5 weeks (couldn't run at all). After that, it would come back from time to time. I finally got acupuncture, which cured my left foot.

Two to two-and-a-half months ago, it started in my right foot (sigh). It was pretty mild at first so I was able to ignore it for weeks. Then it got worse. (Speed work and burpees really aggravate it.) I started acupuncture again. I'm pretty sure that acupuncture is the only reason I have been able to continue running, sprinting, and crossfitting. It will take a while (because I refuse to rest), but I expect that acupuncture will cure it eventually.

Edited to add: I wear ASICS running shoes (with lots of support) for my long runs. I crossfit in minimalist trail running shoes (Merrell Mixmaster). I sprint in my ASICS unless I'm sprinting at crossfit endurance, in which case I wear my minimalist shoes. I'm trying to get used to running in minimalist shoes, but I'm easing into it in order to not repeat the vibram mistake I made a few years ago. When I'm not working out, I usually wear shoes with very little/no support.
    Last edited by diene; 06-10-2013 at 12:40 PM.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    I had PF years ago after my 1st marathon when I didn't rest enough after. It took months but finally what helped me was stretching my calves and feet the very first thing when I was getting out of bed. I just sort of leaned on the bed as I was waking for about 5 minutes. Such relief when it finally stopped!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast