Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Please help my poor fat husband page 6

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMum View Post
    He is 45 and is the primary carer of our three children (including a toddler) and his 88-year-old mother
    How does he feel about this? Not what he says, but what are the actual feelings he feels inside? A lot of women would find this emotionally, if not physically, exhausting and men have a whole 'nother level of cultural sneering to deal with. Being man enough to be willing to do what his family needs is my kind of man, though.
    He hates being so fat, hates his gut, feels ashamed and judged. Any help or advice, people? I love him and I want him to be happy and healthy.
    Feeling bad, especially about yourself, is a *horrible* place to start when taking on a challenge.

Only you and he (actually, only he) can judge what the problem is, but I drink a lot of beer, eat moderate carb and the only thing that was holding me back - for 25 years - was where my head was.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your poor fat husband. Too much advice and now it's going to become a choco carb/calorie rant. Good luck to him. I hope he finds something that works.
    The only thing more obnoxious than obviously false CW statements revolving around the dangers of saturated fat and cholesterol is the blind paleotard statements around calories and carbohydrates. I'm guessing if a thread popped up about eggs being unhealthy due to cholesterol content it would blow up. Statements revolving around insulin fairy tales and the inherent fattening properties of grains should be equally negatively accosted, if not more as they insult the intelligence of the community as a whole.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The only thing more obnoxious than obviously false CW statements revolving around the dangers of saturated fat and cholesterol is the blind paleotard statements around calories and carbohydrates. I'm guessing if a thread popped up about eggs being unhealthy due to cholesterol content it would blow up. Statements revolving around insulin fairy tales and the inherent fattening properties of grains should be equally negatively accosted, if not more as they insult the intelligence of the community as a whole.
    Or the countercultural paleotard statements about sugar / low fat eating?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Or the countercultural paleotard statements about sugar / low fat eating?
    What would they be? I've yet to see anyone promote a low fat diet around here.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PaleoMum is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure about the recommendations to get tests done at the doctor - we're in the UK and you can't really get that sort of stuff done on the NHS. His doctor wants to put him on weight-loss pills (don't worry, there's no way we would go for that). We had a long chat about it last night with the upshot that he's either going to try some IF or maybe a combination of LC and calorie-control. I'm also going to keep working on him to take more exercise. Fingers crossed!

Hindred Biggs is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm not sure about the recommendations to get tests done at the doctor - we're in the UK and you can't really get that sort of stuff done on the NHS. His doctor wants to put him on weight-loss pills (don't worry, there's no way we would go for that). We had a long chat about it last night with the upshot that he's either going to try some IF or maybe a combination of LC and calorie-control. I'm also going to keep working on him to take more exercise. Fingers crossed!
    I am no expert on thyroid tests , but you could do some more reading on it. My own situation
    was that my regular general practitioner did standard blood tests for me and my thyroid blood
    work turned up nothing. I went later to a doctor specializing in environmental medicine, and he
    said my symptoms were classic of low thyroid function and that the standard thyroid blood test
    was missing things in most people with low thyroid. He knew of a newer blood test protocol which
    he wanted to do, so he had me tested and then put on thyroid medicine.
    Since going on the thyroid medicine my energy surged and I began losing weight.
    There may be some way your husband can benefit from this, its only a blood test .

PaleoMum is offline Member
    I'll look into the thyroid question. I doubt our doctor will do any but the most basic tests, though.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    PaleoMom, I am in the same situation, being in Canada, where the plethora of testing is simply not available, but one thing I would recommend is taking a look at Practical Paleo, and if any of the profile fits, trying out the food selections recommended for 30 days. All of the approaches are perfectly healthy, and if one of them shows signs of improvement over what you are doing currently, then that would be a good outcome. If it doesn't work, well, you are back to Square 1.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I'd do a Whole 30 just to rule out any issues with the dairy or beer.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Yours was the only advice I thought was worthwhile. But you couldn't leave it at that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast