Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help my poor fat husband page 4

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Beer. Beer makes you fat, and it keeps you fat. If he really insists, get him some gluten free beer like New Grist.
    I don't see how gluten free beer would be any less fattening than normal beer. It would probably be worse because there are lots of light varieties of regular beers. The gluten content of beer is so incredibly low anyway it's insignificant unless you are a super-sensitive celiac. And then what is there is fermented, further rendering it inert. One or two beers once or twice a week probably won't affect weight much. 4-5 beers every other day...that's a problem.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    The beer he's having once in a while is most likely not the reason he is staying the same weight.

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Why is skipping meals regularly a bad idea? I've tried Mark's powder, and would honestly much rather go without than drink my food like that.
    First, we all skip meals occasionally, and on occasion intentionally.
    For example, my office assistant was out on leave today, so I was filling her shoes and mine as well.
    I got busy, and really, simply forgot to eat. I had water, but that was it.

Tonight, when I finally got home around 10pm, I realized that I was hungry!
    Had it not been for my own willpower, I'd have likely binged.

Organized fasting is one thing, but it's been my experience over that skipping meals as I just described, didn't work out well when I was attempting to lose weight.

The was it was explained to me years ago, and found again while when I was doing some research, that keeping the machine fueled prevented the body from thinking that it was going to be a while before it was fed again, thus causing us to store fat for energy.

If the body realizes that it's going to be fed on a regular basis, we have a tendency to burn that excess fat.

I'm no bio-researcher. All I do know is, that doing what I did today on a regular basis, always derailed my weight loss.

As for Marks meal replacement drinks, to each their own.
    While I've never found one that mixed well when using the shaker cup, much less had any sort of consistency great than muddy water, I do find that when I use the blender and some ice, they come out very think and tasty.
    That said, most of us don't carry around a blender in our pockets.

I guess my point was, not so much to make it a regular thing, but on those days when he's going to be too busy to stop for lunch or??, that he could at least knock one of the drinks out for it's nutritional value.

Frankly, I happen to like the coconut flavoring in Marks mix, but that's just me
    Last edited by Off Duty; 06-10-2013 at 09:37 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    For portable meals I chop up some cooked meat and keep it in a tupperware. I will either put a sweet potato in the microwave and eat it with the meat or else I will cook up some vegetables and put it in the tupperware to carry with me. The meat is usually leftover from the night before or else keep cooked chicken on hand in the freezer and thaw some every few days.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

EncinoMan is offline Junior Member
    If he is holding most of his weight around the midsection, that could imply he has issues with cortisol and in that case IF might not be a good idea (more stress bad).

How is his sleep? If he is not getting at least 8+ hours a night in a very dark (read: pitch black) room, then that is the first thing to get dialed in IMO. Bad/Inadequate sleep can torpedo weight loss in some folks and dialing it in is really one of the best things you can do for your health overall.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't see how gluten free beer would be any less fattening than normal beer. It would probably be worse because there are lots of light varieties of regular beers. The gluten content of beer is so incredibly low anyway it's insignificant unless you are a super-sensitive celiac. And then what is there is fermented, further rendering it inert. One or two beers once or twice a week probably won't affect weight much. 4-5 beers every other day...that's a problem.
    Celiac's is irrelevant; the difference between gluten-free beer and regular beer is that one is made of wheat, barley, or oats, and the other is made is sorghum, rice, or buckwheat. I would take rice beer over wheat beer any day. The point I am trying to make is liquid wheat makes you gain, and I know this from experience.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Celiac's is irrelevant; the difference between gluten-free beer and regular beer is that one is made of wheat, barley, or oats, and the other is made is sorghum, rice, or buckwheat. I would take rice beer over wheat beer any day. The point I am trying to make is liquid wheat makes you gain, and I know this from experience.
    But how is beer made of "wheat, barley or oats" more fattening than beer made of "sorghum, rice or buckwheat?" It isn't.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

kathleen is online now Senior Member
    All hail ChocoTaco and his infinite wisdom.

Anyway, I gained quite a few pounds in fat when I turned 21. After I quit beer, I lost quite a few pounds. I believe the carb count is lower in the gluten free beers, as well. Not only did the beer put on weight for me, but it also made me bloated all the time. That was the wheat, according to my doctor. Whenever I have gluten free beers, I don't feel that way. Not saying your husband will necessarily benefit from cutting beer, but I don't know anyone who regularly drinks beer (even once a week) and doesn't have a 'beer belly.' Something to try; what worked for me might work for someone else.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Not saying your husband will necessarily benefit from cutting beer, but I don't know anyone who regularly drinks beer (even once a week) and doesn't have a 'beer belly.'
    It's because you don't know me yet...

All hail ChocoTaco and his infinite wisdom.

Anyway, I gained quite a few pounds in fat when I turned 21. After I quit beer, I lost quite a few pounds. I believe the carb count is lower in the gluten free beers, as well. Not only did the beer put on weight for me, but it also made me bloated all the time. That was the wheat, according to my doctor. Whenever I have gluten free beers, I don't feel that way. Not saying your husband will necessarily benefit from cutting beer, but I don't know anyone who regularly drinks beer (even once a week) and doesn't have a 'beer belly.' Something to try; what worked for me might work for someone else.
    What?

You gained weight because you went out and started drinking on top of all your normal food habits. People don't displace food calories for beer. They simply add beer. If you gained less weight on gluten free beer, it's probably because there are very few decent gluten free beers and most are light, watered down drinks at best, or they were comparatively unpleasant to drink and you drank less. Bloat is also not real weight. People with severe gluten intolerances may "bloat", but it's water weight that goes away in a few days. Most people won't have this reaction.

It's simple overconsumption. The snooty attitude isn't advisable when you follow it up with paleotard logic. If you're going to be unpleasant, at least argue with facts and not fiction.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast