Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help my poor fat husband page 2

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think fasting would really help.

maybe start with a 24 hr fasting protocol or a 8 hr feedling window, either way it is a good way to reduce intake which it sounds like he has a problem with?

Also worth starting either a body weight routine or buying a kettlebell?

Also, it sounds like you are based in the UK. Maybe worth getting an iodine supplement. I have mentioned this before but it is really hard to get iodine in food in the UK.

Don't try it all at once.

I would say fasting is a good way to start.

just my two pennys worth.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Adam about fasting. He sounds like he's stuck so something required to shake his body out of its comfort zone. How about a twenty minute walk every day..see how far he can get in ten minutes and then come home. Keep repeating until he's getting further and further and jogging some of the way. Along with very low carb this would get his body running on fat. The ancestral way of doing things means that you are rarely in stasis and need to mix it up to get the benefits.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Does he have carb reefed days? Perhaps he needs to mix in some high carb days to fool his body. I've started doing that and finally broke through a 6 month long plateau.

PaleoMum is offline Member
    I'm reluctant to encourage him to eat carbs. A couple of years ago his mum got ill and he was very stressed and started eating potatoes and gained STONES.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If he is not a big veggie eater, and he is not eating offal on a weekly basis, he might have nutritional needs not satisfied and that increases his hunger. Veggies is probably the best idea to try without any drastic changes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMum View Post
    I'm reluctant to encourage him to eat carbs. A couple of years ago his mum got ill and he was very stressed and started eating potatoes and gained STONES.
    Vlc (very low carb) with more fat and less protein would probably be the ticket, then. He sounds very carb sensitive.

I am doing vlc and am loving it! Never hungry and lots of energy after the initial adaptation. Since he is already eating low carb, this should be an easy adjustment.

Read these articles:
    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    One of the advantages of tracking is can know where he is starting from and then see how each of these things affect him, both in his calorie intake and in his psychology and keep tweaking. It's not like one is going to be The Answer, they are all ways to tweak that he can keep working with until he finds what is right. If he is VLC, just eating one banana or apple a day is a HUGE shift... Upping carbs is a tiny tweak, not a huge shift.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

janie is offline Senior Member
    I spent a lifetime trying to lose weight but finally did so keeping carbs low. I also found that to some extent, calories do matter. I don't believe it is possible (at least for me) to eat primal without also keeping my calories in an appropriate range for my height. Exercise in any form helps as well. I started at none and have increased in increments as my body became more able. As someone else suggested, tracking calorie & carb intake as well as calorie expenditure might give him the key.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

PaleoMum is offline Member
    He used to do alternate-day fasting but found he couldn't do that and keep off the carbs. He didn't lose any weight either. I'm doing two-days-a-week fasting so I'm trying to get him to do that but weight loss is VERY slow, like 10lb in 3 months.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    10 pounds in about three months (so 12 weeks) isn't partiucularly slow weight loss, it is normal weight loss. I'm not sure if you mean you or he lost weight at that rate, but whoever it is, reality about how weight loss works seems called for. 1-2 pounds a week is totally normal, standard, normal weight loss.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast