Thread: 2 meals a day on 18:6 IF is this about right? page

Shane. is offline Junior Member

2 meals a day on 18:6 IF is this about right?

Primal Fuel
    Been playing with IF for a while and think 18:6 fits in best with my day and what my body can handle but just want to see if I'm on the right lines. My goal is to get my bodyfat down to around 10-12% (currentely 18-20%) and build some lean muscle.

Lunch is about 12:30-13:00 and is chicken/turkey salad, some fruit, handful of nuts & protein shake (I know there is mixed oppinions on these but I personally like them)

Evening meal is usually around 17:30-18:00 and an example is Shepards pie (lamb mince, sweet potato, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans) we do have regular potatoes once a week with a roast (although only a small amount) and gluten free pasta once as a treat but generally follow those principals.

I didn't know wether I should maybe throw in some hardboiled eggs with lunch or maybe even just couple of times a week for some extra protein?

Thanks
    Shane

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you are doing Leangains, and even if you are not the same stuff will apply....

I think that fasting alone will not give you big results. For most that do it, they are simply calorie cutting haphazardly and will usually just lose fat AND muscle. It is a valuable tool to lose fat, but a true re-comp will take a lot of meal timing.

Controlling macros is the key of any fasting regimen. Negating this is doing 90% of the hard part (not eating 16 hours a day), but not the final 10% that will really drive big results. In short, it is like this, to CUT (your goal). A bulk or re-comp will be different.

Training days = 10% above maint calories. Keep fat low (around 50g), protein is the same at about 200g a day, and high carb (200-300g)
    Rest days = 35% below maint calories. Keep fat higher (around 80g), protein 200g, and very low carb (30g or so).

My point is that the answer to your question is different on different days. When I am in a training day, I sometimes will eat 3-4 times in a longer eating window. This may go 8 to 10 hours, whatever is needed to hit the macros. I am doing re-comp now, which is about 20% above maint on training days. Eating 2800 cal with 200g of protein is hard to do! On a rest day, the fast often goes 18-20 hours with a 4-6 hour window. It's all about the macros. I stop at about 2000 cal with 200g protein hit. This one is usually 2 meals with a protein shake. (I don't do those on training days. I need the satiety to do the 20 hour fast on the way)

I hope this helps. Coordinate your meals and cals for the day. Most of it your body will do on it's own. It will be screaming for carbs after a 16 hour fast (following a 30g carb day!) and max out squats/leg day

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have lost bodyfat and gained muscle doing various IF protocols and I don't do anything like the workouts leangains proposes.

Novasteve74 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think what Lazarus is saying is pretty on point when it comes to Leangains. You will certainly be able to get some results while using an IF protocol alone, especially starting out, as it automatically encourages caloric restriction as well as the increased metabolic advantages. As you draw nearer your goal and into the lower BF%'s of your range it will take a good deal more effort to continue progress. Leangains is successful because, as much as it's advocated as an IF protocol, it uses a few different methods simultaneously to make the plan work, mainly IF 16/8, calorie cycling (training day surplus and rest day deficit) and macro-nutrient partitioning (always moderate/high protein; training - low fat, high carb; rest - moderate fat, lower carb). This is why it works as a recomp plan, as you're theoretically able to promote muscle building on training days, while still being at a caloric deficit by week's end.

In regards to your macro requirements, it'll take a bit of initial calculation using your measurements to understand what your body needs for your intended goals. But IF is great, in and of itself as it simplifies meal planning, and allows you to have wonderfully satisfying portions for your meals.