Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: purple sweet potatoes page

Special K is offline Member

purple sweet potatoes

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

After reading Mark's article here about sweet potatoes:

The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark's Daily Apple

I decided to try and find some purple sweet potatoes. There are only 3 stores in my area (Austin, TX) I know of that carry them (2 Asian supermarkets and a regional chain that competes with Whole Foods). I keep running into two problems:

1. There is no consistent and/or precise naming scheme for purple sweet potatoes. I have seen the following labels at different times at different stores:

- purple sweet potato
    - purple yam
    - Okinawan purple sweet potato
    - Stokes' purple sweet potato

2. I have purchased purple sweet potatoes from each of the 3 stores sold under each of the labels above, and all of them have been very dry and bland-tasting, just as Mark described in the article:

"Thereís another variety that looks extremely similar but has a lightly violet interior streaked with white. Itís starchier and far drier than the Okinawans, and it doesnít taste nearly as good."

Clearly the ones I bought that were labeled "Okinawan purple sweet potato" were mislabeled.

Has anyone been able to find the purple sweet potatoes that Mark describes in the article:

"They are white skinned with a deep, brilliant purple interior that becomes velvety smooth and incredibly sweet when baked."

If so, is there anything in particular about the name of the potato or source? If so, then I could ask a produce manager to order the specific variety of purple sweet potato described in that article. Otherwise I don't think I will keep eating the dry, bland tasting ones I keep ending up with.

Bump - someone else out there has to eat purple sweet potatoes. Has anyone been able to find the ones Mark described in that article? I've only been able to find the "imposters".

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I get some great purple sweet potatoes from the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op. Couple of varieties. Not sure what they are called. I also love the nearly white Asian sweet potatoes, partly because they are almost like Irish ones, which I also eat some of. I realize this isn't much help. LOL
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I get Okinawan's (light colored skin) from the Asian market.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I eat all different varietals of purple sweet potatoes. To be honest, I've never been able to remember which ones are which. I just get whichever ones I find at the store and hope for the best. The Okinawan ones are my favorite though - I slice them with a mandolin and bake them in the oven until toasty brown. They taste like toast to me!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Has anyone been able to find the purple sweet potatoes that Mark describes in the article:

"They are white skinned with a deep, brilliant purple interior that becomes velvety smooth and incredibly sweet when baked."

If so, is there anything in particular about the name of the potato or source? If so, then I could ask a produce manager to order the specific variety of purple sweet potato described in that article. Otherwise I don't think I will keep eating the dry, bland tasting ones I keep ending up with.
    Yes, the one time I bought a purple sweet potato from the Asian grocery store in my neighborhood, it was as Mark described. It was super sweet and syrupy, and I guess you could describe it as velvety smooth (it doesn't have the stringy fibers that regular sweet potatoes do). I actually didn't like it because I felt that it was way too sweet. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what it was called. I think it was simply purple sweet potato or maybe purple yam. I don't think it had a special name. There was no place of origin attached to it either.

Sorry, this isn't very helpful, but the type of purple sweet potato Mark described does exist. I'll take a picture of one the next time I go to the Asian grocery store. It might be a few days before I go there again so check back on this thread if you want to see the pic!

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Living in the northeastern US, one of the common grocery stores here is Shop Rite. They had a sale last month on sweet potatoes "white, red, and blue". I tried some of each. The white were the usual pale yellow variety, the red seemed dry and starchy with white streaking and the blue were outright amazing. This was the only time I've ever seen them there, but I now look every time I go to the grocery and hope to find them again.

miata is online now Senior Member
    I've gotten the Okinawa version which is close to a blueberry color and also some purple versions. I steam them up and mix in a bunch of clarified Kerrygold butter and raw coconut oil and stick it in the frig. Makes for a nice after dinner stack to help me with my daily carbo reload.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I get them at the Asian grocery store. They always have what I assume are the Okinawan type with light colored skins and very purple inside. They are not too dry and starchy and are pretty good, but tend to rot pretty fast. Those are labeled as "Purple Yams." Last time I went they also had some with dark brown skins labeled as "Purple Sweet Potatoes" which were also cheaper than the usual ones. I didn't buy any but they may have been one of the other types that someone mentioned here. Maybe next time I will get a couple and try them out if they are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    I get Okinawan's (light colored skin) from the Asian market.
    Which of the two varieties described in Mark's article are you able to find:

OR

"There’s another variety that looks extremely similar but has a lightly violet interior streaked with white. It’s starchier and far drier than the Okinawans, and it doesn’t taste nearly as good."

Every purple sweet potato I've bought has been in the second group.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast