Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: purple sweet potatoes page 3

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Also adding butter and cinnamon makes for a good sweet potato. Greek yogurt and hot sauce is another fav of mine. Baked, fried, any way works for me:-)
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    There was something I came across along time ago that said that most anthrocyanins that were absorbed though digestion did very little for the body.

Some Health Benefits Of Berries May Not Make It Past Your Mouth
    Cranberry anthocyanins show low levels of bioavailability, study

With this being said I still eat plenty of foods rich in anthrocyanins anyway. I think science hasn't caught up to it yet.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $9.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Special K is offline Member
    Based on the taro pictures I'm finding, I don't think the potatoes I bought before were taros. The ones I found had the same light skin as the ones in the MDA article, but had a light purple/white interior as opposed to dark purple.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I looked for the purple sweet potatoes over the weekend. Unfortunately, they no longer have the kind that I bought in February. They did have something called purple yam, but they were pale skinned and seemed longer and smaller than I remembered. I bought one to try. These are the bland and dry ones that you're talking about. I don't remember what colored skin the other kind of purple sweet potato (the sweet kind) had, but I don't think it was super light colored. They were also larger than these light colored ones.

I bought that sweet one in mid-February so it's possible that it's seasonal and only available in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I looked for the purple sweet potatoes over the weekend. Unfortunately, they no longer have the kind that I bought in February. They did have something called purple yam, but they were pale skinned and seemed longer and smaller than I remembered. I bought one to try. These are the bland and dry ones that you're talking about. I don't remember what colored skin the other kind of purple sweet potato (the sweet kind) had, but I don't think it was super light colored. They were also larger than these light colored ones.

I bought that sweet one in mid-February so it's possible that it's seasonal and only available in the winter?
    I'm guessing it's a seasonal item. Regular sweet potatoes are in season during the autumn and winter months. For what it's worth, the first time I actually looked for a purple sweet potato this year was in late April, so it's entirely possible I had already missed the season for the sweet purple potatoes. I'll have to keep an eye out for them this fall.

If anyone has been able to find them this summer and/or has any more detailed information regarding the exact name of these potatoes or a specific place to order them from, please share.
    Last edited by Special K; 06-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    I get Okinawan's (light colored skin) from the Asian market.
    The 1st group, sweet and creamy smooth. Have also had the 2nd which was a lot drier and not as sweet.
    Are you able to buy the sweet/creamy ones year round? I'm starting to think this is a seasonal thing.

FWIW, I was able to get a produce manager to order some of the Stokes purple sweet potatoes. Apparently one of their distributors still has them in stock from last season. They aren't sweet/creamy, but they are better than the other dry ones I found.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Are you able to buy the sweet/creamy ones year round? I'm starting to think this is a seasonal thing.

FWIW, I was able to get a produce manager to order some of the Stokes purple sweet potatoes. Apparently one of their distributors still has them in stock from last season. They aren't sweet/creamy, but they are better than the other dry ones I found.
    Seems like the sweeter ones are available spring/summer/fall, winter tend to be drier. Maybe due to being older?

Seems like the sweeter ones are available spring/summer/fall, winter tend to be drier. Maybe due to being older?
    I found a Japanese market in town and spoke to an employee there. She said the purple sweet potatoes they carry during the spring/summer months tend to be dry and flaky, but the ones they get during the fall and winter tend to be sweet and smooth. Apparently the same type of purple sweet potato yields very differently during different times of the year? She said I would need to wait until late September to try the smooth ones.

diene is offline Senior Member
    There you go. Glad you figured it out.

The woman at the Japanese market emailed me back a few weeks ago to let me know the purple yams they were getting in were of the darker variety. I went to buy some and much to my disappointment they were the same light lavender ones, not the dark purple ones that Mark and others have been raving about. They tasted exactly the same as the other ones I bought earlier this year.

Would anyone who can reliably find these be willing to send me some? I can pay cost + shipping, and can provide ebay refs if necessary.

After putting in this much trouble trying to find one of these I really just want to try one to see if they really are that good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123