Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting page

phyleux is offline Junior Member

Intermittent Fasting

Primal Fuel
    Have a question about Intermittent Fasting. How long should the fast last? Currently been doing 12 hour fast, almost every day, basically don't eat from 8pm to 8am. Just was wondering if this was enough.

dhoyt86 is offline Junior Member
    I would say while 12 hours may "technically" be considered a fast, you aren't really getting the benefit of IF if you just don't eat while you sleep. I would take it to at least 16 hours to really start getting the benefits (such as all the health benefits Mark mentions in many of his blog updates - check Primal Blueprint 101 on the blog homepage, and newfound control over your hunger). This is just my opinion, I am sure you will get a LOT more feedback since IF is a really popular topic here.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I think our bodys will adapt quickly in order to achieve balance if we stick to the same patterns. I would recommend throwing in a longer fast, 24-36 hours, every week or every other week, and doing a few shorter fasts in between. I feel like your body will get used to the 8 hrs if thats all you challenge it too, ya know? And, I believe 8 hrs is the minimum for technical IF (just what i've read on here ) so doing longer fasts, not everyday of course! , may be key to challenging our dynamic, and adaptive, bodies.

Good luck! Im glad to see IF is so prevalent here.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry Phyleaux, I meant 12 , not 8 hrs. And, yeah, to ramp up fat metabolism I believe Mark suggests fasting that overlaps into daytime because you'll be doing more activity, and possibly even be working out in a fasted state, rather than just snoozin.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phyleux View Post
    Have a question about Intermittent Fasting. How long should the fast last? Currently been doing 12 hour fast, almost every day, basically don't eat from 8pm to 8am. Just was wondering if this was enough.
    Enough for what? What are your goals? Do you have an intended purpose for IFing?
    I grok, therefore I am.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think that in order to make sure that your body gets the proper nutrition that it needs, I wouldn't go much longer than 24 hours or so routinely. I eat once or twice a day in the evenings and my fasts are generally around 20 to 24 hours. My advice would be to start off with about an 18 hour fast and then see how hard it is for you. Once you get used to doing it you can build up the duration and frequency as long as you don't over do it and always try to get the calories that your body does need in the ratios that are good for it.

phyleux is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for the info. Very helpful. Basic goal is weight loss. Over the past year and half lost about 100lbs (mainly doing the South Beach Diet and daily exercise). I have about another 80 or so I would like to lose (already lost 10lbs in the past two weeks since I went primal). Typically lose weight more consistently when I don't eat in the evenings and figured I could incorporate IF by not eating after dinner until breakfast next day. Agree that I should extend the fasting into daylight hours, so will try a 24hour fast and see how that goes. Thanks again everyone!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Well done on all the weight loss! I'm inclined to stick with what you are doing while it is working, and then change things as and when you need to.

yaslind is offline Junior Member
    Congrats, phyleux!! that's amazing!! I've lost 10lbs in past 5 weeks and have another 75 to go. Egads. I just did my first 24hr fast yesterday and it went great. I had a good fatty and protein filled breakfast and then didn't eat again until this morning. I did have to have a little heavy cream and coconut oil in my coffee in the afternoon. There was a 5lb bag of M & M's on the office kitchen table and I needed a little something in my stomach to help me resist it. I woke up today feeling pretty fantastic and not really all that hungry. Can't wait until the next one!

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by phyleux View Post
    Well, if that's considered Intermittent Fasting, then pretty much everyone in my family and most of the people I know are doing Intermittent Fasting. I think it's more like Going To Bed And Sleeping.

No offense, it just sounded funny to me.

When I do my fasts it's almost always about 24 hours, give or take a couple depending on what time supper is, or whether or not I had a bit of a snack after supper. Usually eat at 5:30, done by 6:00, and then the same thing the next night.

It was brutal the first time I tried it, but I think eating close to 100% primal for quite a while now has my system more able to handle it. Last night I felt so good after my IF that I briefly considered skipping supper and cranking my first 36 hour fast out. Then I pulled the meatloaf that my wife had made out of the oven, took a big whiff, and looked at the humongaloid veggie tray on the table, and that thought was toast.

Oh, and I almost killed my wife at lunch time. She made cheese spaghetti. Big pot of spaghetti swimming in melted cheddar and cheez whiz. I stuck my face into the pot and breathed deeply for a good 30 seconds. I was friggin' drooling. She told me to have one bite, but I think a mouthful would have had more carbs than I'd had all week so far. :P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast