Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: im a college student trying to eat primal. my parents dont agree, help! page

troubledstudent is offline Junior Member

im a college student trying to eat primal. my parents dont agree, help!

first off i love this site. It's amazing.

- i'm in college
    - i just got my own place, and finally started eating primal
    - i need meat, so i'm looking for bulk grass-fed beef (in vancouver, if anyone has a good source let me know!)
    - my parents still support me and give me money for food. which makes it hard for me to get bulk grass fed as they don't support the idea of me buying a lot of beef and keeping it in a chest freezer for some stupid reason!
    - my mom says: you don't need to focus on food so much, just exercise, said getting a "meat locker" is going too far
    and my dad doesn't believe meat is healthy. when i brought up paleo he said no, this book is the truth on nutrition:

Amazon.com: The Fat Fallacy: The French Diet Secrets to Permanent Weight Loss (9781400049196): Will Clower: Books

which basically says saturated fat isnt bad, but if it comes from meat, it is.

any ideas what to do? what is the best way to prove that paleo/primal (plus safe starches, in my opinion) is the healthy way to eat? to prove that -this- is what science is pointing to?
    Last edited by troubledstudent; 06-09-2013 at 10:49 PM.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to college I assume that you're 18 yo or above. So what's the problem here? You're an adult and can make your own decisions on how and what you eat without your parents approval. Is it because they provide you with food money that they feel they can hold your nutritional choices hostage? If so, return their money and go get a part time job to pay for your food expenses.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    Just say 'yes mum no mum three bags four mum'

In other words agree with them for peace and do what you want.

Yes you wills ave money buying meat in bulk....but not enough to break the bank. Also if buying in bulk is the only way youc an afford grass fed...then feedlot meat is still better than not having meat at all (ask Robb Wolf)

Mum and Dad don't need to know everything...especially now you are grown up.....

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You're an adult, they can't make you eat anything. Once they see you're healthier, it'll be proof enough.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Just tell them meat helps you keep off the drugs.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    You may not be able to get them to agree with you. That's life. You're an adult, you can eat whatever you want. If money's tight, don't buy grass-fed. Grain fed, conventionally-farmed meat may not be ideal, but it's not the devil either.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't think you need the meat locker. You can fit plenty of meat into a normal freezer. Especially since you won't be stuffing it full of ice cream.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Patti is offline Senior Member
    While I disagree with your dad about meat being bad for you, esp. grass fed beef, I think your mother is on to something. Buying a chest freezer or "meat locker" is a big expense. Be sure to factor in the cost of the freezer, electricity to run it, a larger dwelling to have space to store it, a larger truck to transport it when you move, and actually moving it when you do move. Project this out for a mere two years, since you may or may not be living in the same place for that long. How many lbs./kilos of meat would you store in it over time (# lbs/kilo used per week x # of weeks in actual use)? Add the freezer cost per lb./kilo to however much you are paying per lb./kg when buying in bulk.

My guess is that if you purchased enough for a month and kept it in your refrigerator freezer you'd make out better and reduce the tension you're experiencing with your parents. Unless they ask exactly how you're spending your grocery money, just do the best you can with what you have. While seeking the ideal, don't let perfect get in the way of eating well. Buy cafo meat if it's what you can afford on your budget. Splurge on the grass-fed when the budget goes that far. When looking to the future, anticipate being a self-sufficient adult after you finish school and are no longer relying on your parents largesse. When figuring out your post-school budget, buying in bulk from a farmer you trust is a great goal.

awm8604 is offline Member
    Get a job and use it towards the things you want (i.e. food). If you're dependent on someone else they're going to try to influence the decisions you make.

I work full-time while going to school full-time in part to pay for the good food me and my fiancee eat.

Cathartes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    You may not be able to get them to agree with you. That's life. You're an adult, you can eat whatever you want. If money's tight, don't buy grass-fed. Grain fed, conventionally-farmed meat may not be ideal, but it's not the devil either.
    This. Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast