Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type 2 Diabetes and Egg consumption page

zebonaut is online now Senior Member

Type 2 Diabetes and Egg consumption

Shop Now
    Controlling my type 2 diabetes with a low carb primal diet; eggs are one of the foods of choice; but is it any more 'dangerous' for a type 2 diabetic to be consuming large amounts of eggs than for a healthy person; (max 8 per day)?

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    Controlling my type 2 diabetes with a low carb primal diet; eggs are one of the foods of choice; but is it any more 'dangerous' for a type 2 diabetic to be consuming large amounts of eggs than for a healthy person; (max 8 per day)?
    This is the second time I have read posts about supposed links between eggs and diabetes.
    It sounds like total BS - I read the study that supposedly supports the idea ( bad science from what I saw)

Don't eat toast, bread, bagels with the eggs like most CW people do.
    Limit your starchy foods.

-maintain healthy weight
    -eat REAL foods ( such as eggs, butter, meat, veg etc)
    -dont smoke
    -limit alcohol
    -some basic daily exercise
    -minimize stress

You should have a blood glucose meter - this should tell you if eggs are bad for diabetes.
    I personally don't see a problem with eating 8 eggs a day ( though I'm no expert)

The fact you're controlling your diabetes with your diet, seems indicate all is good.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Have definitely eliminated all starch; bread; etc; the reason I _have type 2 is all those years of "healthy whole wheat bread" and "low fat pizza".

Have definitely eliminated all starch; bread; etc; the reason I _have type 2 is all those years of "healthy whole wheat bread" and "low fat pizza".
    Yes you followed CW ( as most of us did) - your health suffered ( again, like most of us).

I suspect the egg/diabetes study conclusions were from a CW perspective. The results showed the egg eaters also more often drank too much alcohol, were smokers, were overweight, were older etc..........but the conclusion is that eggs is the cause of the higher diabetes......

Lately I've been eating about 8 eggs daily, I'm not diabetic, but I have a blood glucose meter - blood sugar normal as it has always been. When I eat starches then blood sugar spikes.

Good that you've taken your control of your own health.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 06-09-2013 at 08:32 PM.

I feel great eating up to 8 eggs a day; eggs zero glycemic load. I'm just spooked by all those years of "limit your eggs" bad science

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Overload of carbs gives you diabetes in the long run. Eggs don't. Remember this and you'll be fine.

I feel great eating up to 8 eggs a day; eggs zero glycemic load. I'm just spooked by all those years of "limit your eggs" bad science
    Great, it sounds like you're doing the right thing for your body.

Note : protein consumption can be converted to glucose ( but I have not seen a problem).

Spooked : if you're just starting to eat like this then this is normal. That fades over time when you start to get healthy eating opposite to how docs and dietitians tell you what to eat, and you can go through an angry phase knowing you tried to follow their suggestions over the years and got sick as a result.

I have never visited anyone that is in hospital for eating too many eggs over the years
    I having said that its good to get a variety of good foods and not go OTT on any one food.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    I have never visited anyone that is in hospital for eating too many eggs over the years
    ^^^
    This.

I personally feel better than I ever have eating this way; I've said farewell to high glucose; IBS; tooth decay; waistline. I feel light and energetic; when I bike I feel like "Superman" sometimes. Its clear to me this is consistent with evolutionary theory. Paleo man certainly didn't eat bagels and spagetti; nor run around with blood glucose meters in their back pocket. I blame the corporations; that profited mightily these last 50 years off of cheap carbohydrate; and through television; brainwashed us all to eat Kelloggs cereal; and instant oatmeal and low fat pizza. Yeah I'm fuming. Can't believe how bad the science was.

The agricultural lobby is incredibly powerful. Follow the money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast