Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member

Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :)

Shop Now
    Heller Everybody... my name is Brooke.

Some things about me.... I'm 32. I live in Tennessee, kinda close to Nashville. I'm single. I like to be prepared and plan ahead. I have 2 babies... I mean dogs. I love to travel, even if it's just a day trip. I'm really like the "......" and you will see that a lot in my posts. lol I have type 1 diabetes and am hypothyroid (hashimotos). I started eating paleo about a year and 1/2 ago.

My weight was between 132-135 and it was getting hard to maintain my weight eating 1300-1600 cals each day (with one no-count day). I was also running at least 4 miles about 4x a week and strength training (lighter weights) about 2x a week. The people I saw that ate paleo looked fit and healthy so I did some research and saw how beneficial it was for type 1 diabetes. The transition was pretty easy, I had to cut out my Ezekiel wraps, fiber cereal, kashi bars... I don't really miss those. haha Oh yeah, and the wonderful fiber one bars and the Hood carb countdown milk! My dinners were already some kind of protein and veggies but I let go of the kraft ricotta and light sour cream... ewww... don't think I miss that either. And of course, no more going to the catfish restaurant and eating hushpuppies and coleslaw! I think I did miss that.

When I first started I was eating eggs, veggies, fruits, a little almond or sunflower seed butter and cooking with coconut or macadamia nut oil. I didn't micro manage much with macros at first. I felt great. people kept asking me what I was doing and I hadn't even lost weight. But maintaining was effortless. My calories most days were 1600-1800 and then a day where I would let loose and not count. THEN.... I went low carb, then VLC. I wanted to try it to see if my blood sugars would be more stable. Long story short, LC and VLC didn't work for me and things got worse with my thyroid. When things go worse with my thyroid, things also got worse with my blood sugar because my body needed more insulin.

So... that leads me to today. I eat around 150-250 carbs a day from fruit mostly. I get plenty of protein and my fat sources come from either pastured eggs, grass fed beef, goat milk or cheese, coconut products and sometimes macadamia nuts or oils (not often). I'm somewhat a Ray Peat fan these days and love a carrot salad. Especially what it seems to be doing for my body and hormones... but maybe it's in my head. haha

I use and insulin pump. Besides insulin the only other med I take is Naturethroid for my thyroid. Both the insulin and naturethroid are horomones so not "technically" a med.

My supplements are Magnesium Citrate, Tri-Chromium, NAC, Selenium, Niacinamide, D3 with K2 when needed and aspirin.

As of right now I'm up 8lbs from last May. I started gaining when my thyroid took a nose dive in June. I've been in a healing process and I feel better now and my thyroid levels are close to where they should be. I don't restrict as bad as I used to because it wore my body out. Right now I'm just trying to find some balance.

I'll probably post workouts, food, health updates and who knows what else.

*FYI* I refrain from saying... writing y'all in my posts on this forum but this is my journal and I'll say y'all if I want. Just a friendly warning.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the world of journaling.

You probably just needed to LC harder. Just kidding Work on getting that thyroid function back up.

I want to see a pic of your babies! I mean, dogs.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I'll be following your journal! Glad to see things are getting better with the updated diet. I am too becoming quite the fan of Ray Peat.

Hey y'all!

Yeah Ombat, I probably just needed to start putting butter and coconut oil in my coffee! I want to post some pics. What kind of account do you use to post on MDA... photbucket?
    Thanks Max! You should start a journal too. Oh yeah... congrats on graduating!

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Hey y'all,

Welcome to the MDA journals. This is a place where you can waste I mean spend a LOT of time.

I have two dogs that are quite spoiled but who help keep me on the straight and narrow PB-wise. They keep me active in both low-level and sprinting activities. They're great at supporting my cooking experiments. Pack Naps are big around here...

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing how you manage your diet and thyroid issues. I know a lady who's struggling with hers.

Boy did I get some strange looks the first time I put butter in my coffee at a restaurant!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Hi - hope you don't mind me asking - how does your insulin useage prior to going primal compare to what it is now? The same?

Hey BZM! I spend way to much time on MDA journals now too. Especially now that I have the app on my phone!

I never tried the butter but did try coconut oil and coconut butter in my coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Hi - hope you don't mind me asking - how does your insulin useage prior to going primal compare to what it is now? The same?
    I don't mind at all...

It's kind of hard to compare bc when my thyroid started acting up I had a lot if insulin resistance. But right now I'm around 18-24 units a day. That varies some bc of activity levels at work, stress and sometimes if I have to do a lot of driving (sitting) at work. Before primal I was anywhere from 16-24 units a day. I was hypo pre-primal but it wasn't as bad. Of course I still have a let loose day and my insulin gets up higher... But I try to time my doses right to avoid low or high blood sugars. Also keep in mind that I weigh more than I did pre-primal.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Thanks Max! You should start a journal too. Oh yeah... congrats on graduating!
    Thanks! Who knows, maybe I will

PrimalCon New York
    I went to the doctor this past Friday. She's actually a nurse practitioner. She's going to be my PCP though. The last time I saw her she looked over my thyroid labs and agreed to up my Naturethroid dose from 2 grains to 2.5 grains. I had already raised it myself, just didn't have a script for it. So this visit I brought labs from 4 weeks ago and I was at 2.7 (my goal is 3.2 at least). She agreed to raise my dose to 3 grains... I'm actually taking 3.5 grains with 1/8 a grain a bit before bed. I feel pretty good.

It's been hard to find a doctor to prescribe T3 meds or NDT. Big Pharma has most doctors sold on T4 only meds such as synthyroid. The trouble is that most cannot convert T4 to the active T3. As a result you can get high levels of reverse T3 which competes with T3. Thankfully reverse T3 has not been a problem for me.

Last October I found a naturopath/md in Nashville. He told me to throw out my Synthyroid and started me on 1 grain of Armour. In 2 weeks I got labs and also the results from a salvia cortisol test. I went back to see him and he raised my dose to 2 grains. He told me to find a local doctor when I need refills. I was very doubtful I could though. In January I started feeling bad again. I called the doctor in Nashville and told him and he said my levels were in range last time but he didn't take into account that I'm dealing with Hashimotos. He swapped me over to Naturethroid at 2 grains.

I had labs in February at a walkin clinic in town. The results showed that my T3 was 2.2 (I think) with lab ranges 2.7-4.5. In November I was at 3.2. I had no doubt I had been having a Hashimotos attack. I had gained weight and had no energy.

One mistake I think I made was starting Stronglifts 5x5 the second week I was on Armour. I was still trying to do sprints and run 2-3 days on top of that. It was to much stress for my system. My lifts went up pretty good but I had been lifting kinda heavy before that.

Right now I'm trying to find balance in everything. I'm going to the gym about 6 days a week. Two if those days I lift, one day I sprint and the other days I walk on incline/jog/run for 30-40 minutes. I feel I need to holdback a little when lifting bc it's just so taxing on my body.... And thats been hard for me. sometimes I don't realized how hard I'm going until I can barely walk or sit to pee! haha So for now, no more squats and deadlifts on the same day!

Anyway, back to my doctor's visit Friday... She also prescribed Metanx. It looks to be a very high potent b vitamin. It's prescribed for people with neuropathy. I rarely have any symptoms of neuropathy anymore because of activity levels and my blood sugar levels are better and more stable than when I was 26 and younger. Metanx is described as helping remove homocysteine from the body... Sounds good to me! Wonder what Ray Peat thinks of it?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast