Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 6

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I wouldn't say I feel competitive with her.
    She does a lot of comparing and she's the jealous one. Most of the time it's just over stupid stuff. But it gets in the way. I think we just read each other wrong sometimes.

For example:

As of last Wednesday, no plans has been made for Father's Day. I had been asking my parents if anything has been said and they said no. I wanted to make lunch for my parents for Father's Day so that's what we decided. I'm a planner so I went ahead and picked up what I needed from the store. Friday I got a call from my mom that my sis called and wanted to have everybody over for lunch. From my sisters side it looked like we were excluding her. From my side, she waited til the last minute. And I can't afford to feed her family. She understands that. It was just a big ordeal. My gift to my dad was lunch... And it was going to be nice. I has already spent the money on groceries so what was I going to do for Father's Day now?

So after all that... We all went over her house for lunch. She was cold to me. Barely said 2 sentences. It just hurts my feelings. I guess that's why I just try to keep my distance.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    My sister is six years my elder and she is needlessly jealous of me as well. She has a prestigious job, plenty of friends, but she's an extremely negative person and is constantly picking fights with me by putting words in my mouth or taking things I've said out of context or just bending them to fit her "needs". Your sister has a family which I hope keeps her busy and happy but she still needs to be competitive with you? I wonder if there's some sort of subconscious, elder sister rivalry that only the elder feels... It's a shame.

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I wonder if there's some sort of subconscious, elder sister rivalry that only the elder feels... It's a shame.
    I should hope not, since I'm an elder sister (by 8 years). I bend over backwards to make my sister happy, lol.
    But maybe that's because she's only 10 (11 tomorrow!) and I'm 19. Hopefully we never get that way, though.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I wonder if there's some sort of subconscious, elder sister rivalry that only the elder feels... It's a shame.
    Probably so Om. I also was catered too a bit more because of have type 1 diabetes since 3 years old. You would think she would understand and be glad it wasn't her.

Quote Originally Posted by Driedmango View Post
    I should hope not, since I'm an elder sister (by 8 years). I bend over backwards to make my sister happy, lol.
    But maybe that's because she's only 10 (11 tomorrow!) and I'm 19. Hopefully we never get that way, though.
    That's so sweet! You are the exception to what's normal I'm sure.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    I'm an older brother and get along really great with my sister. We have a lot of the same hobbies/like the same music. I'm 22 and she is 18.

That's great Max! I shoulda had a brother. haha

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Hahaha, sorry to hear about your situation though. Hopefully things get better in the future.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I think you're the exception, Mango You just seem like a kind person.. But I'm glad you two have a great relationship.

I think there's something to that as well, Brooke. I too needed a lot of care as a child. I was born with a non-correctable eye sight condition and I wasn't really able to do much on my own until I was well into my teen years. But I agree, you'd think she'd just be happy that she was a fully functioning human being that didn't need coddling her entire life. It's only exacerbated by the fact that my sister is naturally of the "victim" mentality. She feels "put upon" by life. I just roll my eyes.

Driedmango is offline Senior Member
    I think the mere fact that you're the younger one would lead to a bit of jealousy for the elder sibling. That and the fact that you both needed extra care is probably just a recipe for a giant pot of resentment. Although I'd think that jealousy would fade as your sisters get older, since they should no longer have that childish "I need all the attention, how dare she take it away from me!" mentality. But I guess a lot of the time these feelings we have in our childhood years carry through.

In my case, I think the main reason I didn't have that jealousy is because of the fact that I really considered my sister as a present to me. I only had brothers, who were all older, and growing distant from me, as they moved further into the typical activities that males participate in. I really, really wanted a sister. So, like I said, she was like a gift to me. I find myself waiting for her to get older, so that we can be even closer. I kind of feel like a bit of a weirdo now, haha.

But I hope both your sisters figure out that what they're doing is silly. Life's too short to waste resenting your own blood for absolutely nothing.
    Attitudes are contagious, make yours worth catching.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast