Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 18

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Brooke, once your doctor goes over the test results with you, would that give you more of a clear picture of what is going on?

That's good to hear about finding it easier lately to stop yourself from a full-blown binge. At the lowest of my lows I was eating approx. 4K calories - after dinner. Pretty much stuffing myself with anything as long as it was - low-carb. Yeah, great logic.
    Yeah, I'll definitely understand more once I talk to her. I'm just so impatient! :P

That sounds like me. Looking back, VLC was a trigger for binging for me. For one, I was always hungry. Fat just isn't that satiating to me. I can remember times when I would keep going back to the coconut butter jar. lol

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Let me know what they say about the depo shot! I'm very curious.

So what's the CW woe that they suggest for T1 diabetes, and what have you been following for most of your life? Where did Paleo and / or Ray Peat make an appearance? Have you read the Ray Peat info on Diabetes? (I haven't, but I believe some exists.)

That's great that you're getting the binges under control! Definitely sometimes they are caused by low blood sugar. Coconut water has been my friend in these situations (think I suggested that to you before).

Well, my N=1 is that I do much better off sugars than starches. Unless the bananas you're eating are pretty brown, they're starch, not sugar. I was eating 3-4 a day but feel much better without them. They are good after a workout, but that's about it for me...

Berries are very low in sugar, as are tomatoes. I'd go for something more sugary - whatever you want! Melon is a personal favourite for me right now.

I can't really say how many carbs you should be eating a day, cos I don't know much about T1 diabetes. Are you trying to hit that number for a particular reason? I feel best when I'm eating 300gs in mostly fructose. I know that CW equates T2 diabetes with the glycemic index, so by that they say refined foods, table sugar should be elimated, and and starches should be kept in check. Does that advice hold true for T1 as well? Maybe you could potentially eat a higher number of carbs if they all came from from fructose.
    When I was a kid, all off limits food was hidden from me. No gum, no candy. I can remember being at a store and wanting some bubblelicious bubble gum and I couldn't have any because it had sugar in it. My grandmother wouldn't let me have ketchup with my fries. Looking back, intentions were good but restricting a child too much can cause food issues. I would get to eat a cupcake at birthdays and stuff like that so it's not as bad as it sounds. My other grandmother brought me to a naturopath that tried to put me on a diet really close to paleo. I was probably 5-7 years old so that didn't go over well. sometimes I would climb up on the kitchen counter and get into the top cabinet to where the goodies were hiding. I was little and I didn't know better. It's hard for a child to understand why they can't eat the good tasting food that everyone else gets to eat.

These days I think they teach to do a little give and take. In a way, I do think that's a good thing. I'm sure the diet recommended is whole grains, no saturated fat.... blah blah blah. When I was a teenager I ate like all friends did. The only difference was I got a diet coke with my burger and fries. haha I started caring more about nutrition when I was 18. That was mainly because I knew I was being depleted by all the drugs I was doing. I tried to eat healthy in my 20's. When I was 28-29, I went from my highest 165 to 132-135 (over the course of 2 years). Then I found paleo at age 30. I wanted an easy way to maintain my weight. It was hard to do, eating 1,300-1,500 cals a day and running 4-5 miles 4x week and lifting 2x a week.

Enter LC and then VLC... then enter Ray Peat. I'll have to check out the Ray Peat diabetes info. I can't remember if I've read it or not.

The bananas are usually kinda spotty. The blueberries were free and organic from my grandmother. I love some cantaloupe!! It kinda bothers me though because I like to measure everything ad I like it to be exact. :/ It would be worse if I had a food scale!

I feel best around this number of carbs. But I still need a day with considerably more to even things out. I have less spikes this way. With a T1, it's imperative to know how to time your insulin to not get a spike. If I eat too many carbs, spike are unavoidable. Your pancreas will just kick in when needed and no matter how hard I've tried I can't ALWAYS get it right.

July 24th, 2013

Update on the prediction I got about meeting somebody. Not going to give many details but... I got a call last night from a friend. She is wanting to fix me up with this guy that randomly asked her about me yesterday. He facebooked me today and we are texting now. Considering the lack of anything of the dating sort in my life over the past years, this is not a coincidence.

We shall see....

max219 is offline Senior Member
    That is crazy about those predictions. Hopefully it works out well!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I figured I would do some research too

I read Peats article on diabetes. Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Unsurprisingly, he doesn't view sugar as a culprit, and in fact believes that depriving the body of sugar can lead to more problems:

If diabetes means that cells can't absorb or metabolize glucose, then any cellular function that requires glucose will be impaired, despite the presence of glucose in the blood. It is the intracellular absence of glucose which is problematic, rather than its extracellular excess.
    Neuroglycopenia (or neuroglucopenia) or intracellular glycopenia refers to the deficit of glucose in cells. When the brain senses a lack of glucose, nerves are activated to increase the amount of glucose in the blood, to correct the problem. As long as the brain senses the need for more glucose, the regulatory systems will make the adjustments to the blood glucose level.
    A recent study suggests that recovery of the pancreas can be very fast. A little glucose was infused for 4 days into rats, keeping the blood glucose level normal, and the mass of beta-cells was found to have increased 2.5 times. Cell division wasn't increased, so apparently the additional glucose was preventing the death of beta-cells, or stimulating the conversion of another type of cell to become insulin-secreting beta-cells (Jetton, et al., 2008).
    I was asking you about the kinds of carbs you consume, because I speculated that there might be a difference in the insulin spike created by starch and fructose, and thought that maybe you could eat more carbs if you reduced starch and upped fruit. This quote might lend credence to this theory:

When animals were fed an otherwise balanced diet lacking vitamin D, with the addition of either 68% sucrose or 68% starch, the bones of those on the starch diet failed to develop normally, as would be expected with a vitamin D deficiency, and their serum calcium was low. However, the bones of those on the diet with sucrose developed properly, and didn't show evidence of being calcium deficient, though they weren't quite as heavy as those that also received an adequate amount of vitamin D (Artus, 1975). This study suggests that the famous dietetic emphasis on the "complex carbohydrates," i.e., starches, has made an important contribution to the prevalence of osteoporosis, as well as obesity and other degeneration conditions.
    I also took a look at the glycemic index for starch versus sugar versus fruit. If the problem with diabetes is the insulin spike, then I'm always confused as to why dairy is considered fine, since yogurt has the highest GI rating.

Finally, you mentioned you take b3. I just started taking Brewer's yeast, and there's something about it... I think it's actually helping my facial flushing! Check it out below:

Brewers' yeast has been used traditionally to correct diabetes, and its high content of niacin and other B vitamins and potassium might account for its beneficial effects. However, eating a large quantity of it is likely to cause gas, so some people prefer to extract the soluble nutrients with hot water. Yeast contains a considerable amount of estrogen, and the water extract probably leaves much of that in the insoluble starchy residue. Liver is another rich source of the B vitamins as well as the oily vitamins, but it can suppress thyroid function, so usually one meal a week is enough.
    That's interesting about the Depo shot too - did you find any more info about recovering from it?

Hope some of this helps!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

You are right... From what I understand fructose doesn't cause as much of a spike. It does raise my blood sugar because I have eaten melon when my blood sugar has been low and it has risen it.

I'm pretty sure that Ray Peat is referring to type 2 diabetes in the article. Type 2 diabetics can recover most of the time... Type 1's cannot. I have to given insulin regardless of the types of food I eat. But... The types of food I eat impact everything from insulin resistance to how much insulin I need to take. Which is what you are referring to.

You are right, I could get away with more carbs if I are fructose. The problem is, I could eat a whole cantaloupe vs a banana. The banana fills me better. I usually eat a small banana before the gym and then one within an hour later. I'll have one on hand for low blood sugar too.

Bananas are more budget friendly. I've seen pineapples at the store for .99 lately. I'll have to try those.

I haven't looked up how to recover from depo. I bet my doc will start me on progesterone from my low levels. If not ill get some Ray Peat cream. She might even put me on estrogen... That freaks me out a bit even though its low. What do you think about taking estrogen Yoga?

Thank you for looking up the Peat stuff! That's so considerate of you.

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    That is crazy about those predictions. Hopefully it works out well!
    Thanks Max! How have you been? I haven't seen any journal updates lately. Any changes with anything?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    You are right... From what I understand fructose doesn't cause as much of a spike. It does raise my blood sugar because I have eaten melon when my blood sugar has been low and it has risen it.

I'm pretty sure that Ray Peat is referring to type 2 diabetes in the article. Type 2 diabetics can recover most of the time... Type 1's cannot. I have to given insulin regardless of the types of food I eat. But... The types of food I eat impact everything from insulin resistance to how much insulin I need to take. Which is what you are referring to.

You are right, I could get away with more carbs if I are fructose. The problem is, I could eat a whole cantaloupe vs a banana. The banana fills me better. I usually eat a small banana before the gym and then one within an hour later. I'll have one on hand for low blood sugar too.

Bananas are more budget friendly. I've seen pineapples at the store for .99 lately. I'll have to try those.

I haven't looked up how to recover from depo. I bet my doc will start me on progesterone from my low levels. If not ill get some Ray Peat cream. She might even put me on estrogen... That freaks me out a bit even though its low. What do you think about taking estrogen Yoga?

Thank you for looking up the Peat stuff! That's so considerate of you.
    I understand about the bananas: that's why I ate so many of them They're convenient and cheap. And they are an amazing food - no doubt. But I believe it's better to eat a wider variety of fruits, you know? One banana a day after your workout would be great, but other than that there are SO many other fruits to choose from! Kiwis, apples, nectaries are all inexpensive over here. Cherries are the food of the Gods

Have you actually eaten a whole cantaloupe?? I guarantee you'll be full after it

Have you thought of posting your results on the Ray Peat forum? You could also ask Derp to email Peat directly and ask him questions. I wouldn't recommend you change your diet too drastically without doing a lot of research into it first.

Idk about taking oestrogen tbh.... I'm coming from a warped perspective because I'm Est. Dom. Definitely get on the progesterone anyway, and perhaps get your DHEA checked? If it is low, you might need to supplement that, and I believe that also helps your body produce oestrogen.

It's my pleasure! I know what it's like to get scary results from the doc, and I really appreciated it when people chimed in to help me. Plus, it's interesting information
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Thanks Max! How have you been? I haven't seen any journal updates lately. Any changes with anything?
    Thanks for asking . I've been doing well, increasing my strength through lifting, still putting on some fat (and muscle) though. I've been trying not to talk or think about nutrition much anymore since it kinda consumes me. I still love learning about it though.

And yea the bananas are great. They are super cheap, and I pretty much make it my primary carbohydrate source now a days. Aside from some white rice/potatoes/(pizza!) or some other fruits, I eat over 10 bananas a day now. I feel like I'm gonna turn into DurianRider.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast