Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 17

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It used to run low. Now it just good... Around 105-115ish/60-70ish.

How would I find out about serotonin levels? I thought I depleted most of my serotonin 10+ years ago with all the x I did. At times I've felt my dopamine is low.

Whatcha think?

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am making a lot of assumptions about what he meant by "water" and "house". Ideally I would need an Assessment and Plan (every doctor visit in history ends with this). You can get this by requesting the record from the office. It's yours, HIPPA says so

Anyway, here goes:

The primary problem with DM and the eyes is that it changes the microvasculature of your retinal blood vessels. Due to the toxicity, your body reacts by changing both the basement membrane of your vessels, as well as have many of what are called pericytes die.

The result of this is that the vessels leak. Blood will begin to seep out of the vessels and into the layers of the retina. Blood is toxic to the retinal cells, and this is "diabetic retinopathy". I am assuming by "water", he meant hemorrhages in the retina.

There are two big "houses", or things that MUST be avoided for a diabetic:
    1) Conversion to what is termed "proliferative retinopathy"
    2) Macular edema

1) Proliferative ---> Due to the vessels leaking, you actually get far less nutrition to the retinal cells. They become hypoxic, or lacking oxygen, and your body has a way of attempting to fix this problem that is actually harmful: it begins to grow little blood vessel nets to try to supply the starving retina.....these nets are what make your retinopathy "proliferative", and they can be very dangerous. These little vessels can bleed into the vitreous, or they can cause traction of the retina, causing a retinal detachment.....none of this is good.

I deal with people with proliferative retinopathy almost exclusively, and there are 2 options to stop it: Either you inject drugs into the eye directly (lots of fun. I use anesthetic!), or you laser the bleeding areas to cauterize them. We don't want you to ever have to see one of me. Your PCP will flip that one of us is being called, and demand an overhaul of everything EVERYONE is doing for you. All meds will be upped or changed, and a nutritionist will be assigned to you...which is where my nutritionist and I scold you, and in my case, push towards primal

2) Macular Edema ----> In this case, the leakiness of the vessels has caused swelling in the focused part of your vision, the macula....when you look at anything, at a stop sign or this screen, you are essentially pointing your maculas at it. This is the area of max photoreceptors. Without it functioning well, you don't see well, period....the severity of the edema can vary by a lot. Sometimes you won't even notice and only a doctor will pick it up. Others you could get very bad vision out of.

The main job of your optometrist or general ophthalmologist is to ensure that neither of these conditions develop....the eye is neural tissue. Once it is dead, it is dead forever. That is why in medicare it is mandatory all diabetics be seen by an eye doc every year. If it is let alone it can be catastrophic....if these measures fail, you come see me

Try to get any info you can about what condition he is concerned about....regardless, the main thing you can do is to control your BG range. What is the highest/lowest its been in the last 2 weeks? Last Hba1c?

Sorry if that was technical, but I say a derivation of it to all my patients. I don't use analogies only. Details matter, so I tend to give as many as possible. Hope this helps

That was a great explanation. Thank you!

He did give me technical words and details but I was slightly traumatized so I forgot them. My A1C is usually in the 6's but since I've had excessive thyroid trouble in the last year, it's up to 7.3. Being hypo thyroid causes insulin resistance and its been hard regulating during those times. Thats also the main reason I want all this thyroid and hormonal stuff figured out.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Lab work. Hypothyroidism is a big cause of increased serotonin, and signs of an inflamed gut are big indications. You want to check for whole blood serotonin (5-HT) in regards to serotonin.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Thanks Derp! I'll make note to get that check next time I get labs.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Vitex- It says 56 drops and I do that at breakfast. I'll start taking it at dinner too.

My other supps are Magnesium Citrate, niacinamide, Tri-chromium (cinnamon and the 2 chromiums), D3 and selenium. I take 1 325mg aspirin every other day. My liver enzymes have been elevated since at least last year when it first came up as abnormal. I thought it was because I was VLC at the time and eating Moar fat. That is also when my thyroid tanked.

I know a ton about type 1 diabetes. I've had it since I was 3. Unfortunately, autoimmune diseases usually come in pairs. If I didn't have type 1 diabetes, I mostly likely wouldn't have hashis.

I think I need to get clean with paleo and stop the 1x per week cheat meal... sometimes cheat meals.

The endo's in my town aren't any good. The one I went to last summer changed all my rates on my insulin pump and told me not to change them until next appt. She scared me. lol My blood sugars ran high for a month before I canceled my next apt with her and changed my insulin rates. I don't have enough specialty visits to see an endo until January. I'm going to see the doc that took these labs next week for her to go over them.

Your estrogen was 2028?!!!! Whoaa sista! I wonder what it is now... when do you get tested again Yoga? I'm guessing the ranges were the same as mine? If so that's crazy.
    Will you start researching the Depo shot?

So, apart from insulin, is there any other way of treating Type 1 diabetes? I don't know much about it...

You actually don't look like you're eating a huge amount of carbs from what you wrote... it looks like mostly starch and lactose? Is there a reason you don't eat more fruit? I don't think the 1 cheat meal per week is going to screw you up that much... unless you're consuming 10k cals (entirely possible, as we know )

Actually the ranges are a little different. But my progesterone was 1.9 versus my oestrogen of 2028, if you want a ratio
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Researching the depo shot is in my to-do list for tonight.

No other treatment for T1 diabetes. Exercise and eating right are big factors in how easy or hard it is to take care of it. Fighting insulin resistance in a body that doesn't produce any insulin is just insult on top of injury.

Sometimes my cheats are more like binges but lately it's been much easier to stop myself. I can remember times that my stomach hurt so bad but that's not happening anymore! That tells me there is some regulation in my system that was lacking before.

I usually eat 2-4 bananas a day, 1 cup of berries, a tomato and sometimes some other fruit... It just depends. I will either have pumpkin or green beans for fiber. Do you not think that a good bit if fruit? The past few days my carbs have been 135-165 grams. Sometimes it's higher especially if my sugars running low.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Brooke, once your doctor goes over the test results with you, would that give you more of a clear picture of what is going on?

That's good to hear about finding it easier lately to stop yourself from a full-blown binge. At the lowest of my lows I was eating approx. 4K calories - after dinner. Pretty much stuffing myself with anything as long as it was - low-carb. Yeah, great logic.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    Researching the depo shot is in my to-do list for tonight.

No other treatment for T1 diabetes. Exercise and eating right are big factors in how easy or hard it is to take care of it. Fighting insulin resistance in a body that doesn't produce any insulin is just insult on top of injury.

Sometimes my cheats are more like binges but lately it's been much easier to stop myself. I can remember times that my stomach hurt so bad but that's not happening anymore! That tells me there is some regulation in my system that was lacking before.

I usually eat 2-4 bananas a day, 1 cup of berries, a tomato and sometimes some other fruit... It just depends. I will either have pumpkin or green beans for fiber. Do you not think that a good bit if fruit? The past few days my carbs have been 135-165 grams. Sometimes it's higher especially if my sugars running low.
    Let me know what they say about the depo shot! I'm very curious.

So what's the CW woe that they suggest for T1 diabetes, and what have you been following for most of your life? Where did Paleo and / or Ray Peat make an appearance? Have you read the Ray Peat info on Diabetes? (I haven't, but I believe some exists.)

That's great that you're getting the binges under control! Definitely sometimes they are caused by low blood sugar. Coconut water has been my friend in these situations (think I suggested that to you before).

Well, my N=1 is that I do much better off sugars than starches. Unless the bananas you're eating are pretty brown, they're starch, not sugar. I was eating 3-4 a day but feel much better without them. They are good after a workout, but that's about it for me...

Berries are very low in sugar, as are tomatoes. I'd go for something more sugary - whatever you want! Melon is a personal favourite for me right now.

I can't really say how many carbs you should be eating a day, cos I don't know much about T1 diabetes. Are you trying to hit that number for a particular reason? I feel best when I'm eating 300gs in mostly fructose. I know that CW equates T2 diabetes with the glycemic index, so by that they say refined foods, table sugar should be elimated, and and starches should be kept in check. Does that advice hold true for T1 as well? Maybe you could potentially eat a higher number of carbs if they all came from from fructose.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ok, I just found this on the depo shot-

Little Miss Sicky Poo Health through primal living, fitness & natural healthcare alternatives. The Dangers of Hormonal Contraception: Part 3: The Depo Shot

This is what I found most interesting from-

Symptoms After Discontinuation
    I think what bothers me the most about this drug is the fact that if you happen to experience any negative side effects, you are literally stuck with them for at least 3 months. According to drug manufacturers, Depo should be out of your system within 3-6 months of ceasing use, however, there are countless women that report that these side effects last much longer than that. In fact, sometimes they can last for years. Irregular bleeding and lack of ovulation can also continue far past this allotted time frame.
    Other Common Side Effects of Depo Provera
    And the list goes on…◾Bone density loss
    ◾Infertility
    ◾Increased risk for cervical cancer
    ◾Increased risk for breast cancer
    ◾Headaches
    ◾Migraines
    ◾Abdominal discomfort and cramping
    ◾Anxiety
    ◾Adrenal gland suppression
    ◾Hair loss
    ◾Decreased libido