Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :)

Shop Now
    I usually eat 10 bananas a day too, sometimes if I'm feeling extra bananas I'll eat 20-30. They're just good, and I never tire of them. Surprisingly good nutrient profile too. And, yeah, real cheap. I like to fry them in butter or coconut oil sometimes and take them to work as banana chips.

Oh, and dunk them in some chocolate!
    Make America Great Again

Y'all are banana crazy!!

Bananas are good with everything. I've even eaten them fried up with ground beef and cayenne pepper... Or bananas, water chestnuts, lime juice, tuna and spices. Sounds so weird but it's good.

Bananas sauteed in coconut oil + cinnamon + cocoa powder turned into an issue for me for a while.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

I could eat fried bananas all day, every day. If, I could find low-fat butter and someone to cook them for me

I was looking over my labs again. OCD. I realized I posted the lab ranges for the CRP wrong. My CRP was <0.5 with ranges <1.0. SO that's good news. Looks like inflammation isn't a factor.

btw... I had shrimp and bananas sautéed in butter, with garlic, lime, cilantro and cayenne pepper. nom nom nom

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Thanks for asking . I've been doing well, increasing my strength through lifting, still putting on some fat (and muscle) though. I've been trying not to talk or think about nutrition much anymore since it kinda consumes me. I still love learning about it though.
    I understand. That's great that you're still getting stronger. Have you had any stalls yet? Stronglifts eventually got to hard for me. That could have been partly due the low cortisol I started experiencing around that time too.

I have stalled but usually got it the next time around. I haven't been doing the squats and deadlifts unfortunately cause my hamstring is still weak. I've been trying to rehab that back, so been doing RDLs and split squats instead. Hopefully soon I can get back on the leg lifts properly, since those are the best ones to do.

I was just reading on adrenalsweb.org about cortisol supplements. I found this about holy basil-

Holy Basil (or Tulsi) is used to lower high cortisol it is regarded as an 'adaptogen' or anti-stress agent. Recent studies have shown that the leaves afford significant protection against stress. It purifies blood and helps prevent several common ailments. Holy Basil is not the same kind of basil that you grow in your back yard.

That's interesting cos' a few weeks ago when I was having blood sugar spikes and felt very depressed, I was taking the Holy Basil supplement. I had been rotating it with Eleuthero and Rhodiola. Since I'm most likely low cortisol in the mornings right now, no wonder this spiked my blood sugar, it spiked my adrenalin even more by lowering my cortisol.

For as long as I can remember, around 9:00am my body starts requiring more insulin. If I'm not careful, I get a high blood sugar shortly after 9. I always thought it was a cortisol spike. Now I'm thinking it's been adrenalin all along. Back when I did the 24 hour salvia test, it showed borderline low cortisol in the morning and through midday. Around 4-5pm, it showed a spike in cortisol. Looking back on that... for as long as I can remember, my blood sugar usually drops anywhere from 3:30-5:00. Then, if I'm not careful it spikes again by the time it's 7:00pm.

The main problem is that I was untreated hypothyroid way too long. Once I was treated, it was with T4 only meds that I couldn't convert very well. This caused so much stress on the my adrenals. That caused blood hormonal blood sugar fluctuations. I always wondered my it seemed so hard to keep my blood sugar steady. The only way I'm able to do that is by checking my blood sugar about 15x a day. That may look a little OCD but, it's what I've had to do.

If you have read this far, Thank you for caring! I'm just so glad that I'm starting to make sense of all of this. The more I find out, the closer I get to a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    That's interesting cos' a few weeks ago when I was having blood sugar spikes and felt very depressed, I was taking the Holy Basil supplement. I had been rotating it with Eleuthero and Rhodiola. Since I'm most likely low cortisol in the mornings right now, no wonder this spiked my blood sugar, it spiked my adrenalin even more by lowering my cortisol.
    Tut tut - you neglected to mention these when I asked you about your pill intake

That's brilliant you're starting to figure things out! Where will you go from here? Have you tweaked your diet at all / looked into Ray Peat's views on T1 Diabtes? might be helpful to post on that forum too.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Tut tut - you neglected to mention these when I asked you about your pill intake

That's brilliant you're starting to figure things out! Where will you go from here? Have you tweaked your diet at all / looked into Ray Peat's views on T1 Diabtes? might be helpful to post on that forum too.
    I stopped taking them 2 weeks ago, after I had the blood sugar spikes. I'm looking into taking an adrenal cortex. A moderator from the yahoo adrenals group recommended over the adaptogens for raising cortisol.

I bought some cantaloupe and have been eating it today... so good. I just found this in one of Peat's articles-

I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption. In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements. It should be remembered that amino acids, especially in eggs, stimulate insulin secretion, and that this can cause hypoglycemia, which in turn causes cortisol secretion. Eating fruit (or other carbohydrate), coconut oil, and salt at the same meal will decrease this effect of the protein. Magnesium carbonate and epsom salts can also be useful and safe supplements, except when the synthetic material causes an allergic bowel reaction..

He confirmed what happens to me after a low blood sugar. If you remember, I said my blood sugar always drops from 3:30-5:00, that's when the salvia test showed a cortisol spike. Anywho, it's all interesting but I'm not sure if I'm going to do many tweaks other than what I'm doing with thyroid meds and cortisol a the moment.

I've looked around on the forum.. . I might try to find out if any T1's are there eating a Peat inspired diet.