Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 15

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Honestly, from your pics you don't look like you have PCOS. The people I know who have it are usually overweight, have bad acne, and facial hair. But see how I check off the symptoms:

Acne- I had this a few years ago, but since I gave up gluten my skin is pretty perfect.
    Weight gain- only recently
    Extra hair on face and body- I think so, other people probably wouldn't!
    Thinning hair on scalp- It was thinning, but since giving up gluten it's looking better every day!
    Irregular periods- Either wouldn't get them, or would get every three weeks.
    Fertility problems- I'm infertile.
    Depression- Majorly.

So, I had every one of those symptoms at one stage. I also get cysts! And I don't have PCOS A lot of those symptoms can be caused by high estro, or low prog. Luckily your bloods will give a clearer picture. I agree with Graycat that your doc should have put forward a diagnosis without having test results. Even though I got a scan of my ovaries which showed that I'm infertile, my endo was very careful not to scare me, or think that it was a permanent condition.
    I'm pretty curvy and my boobs have gotten alot bigger over the past year (from weight gain). PCOS is usually marked with a reduction in breast size. At least this is easing my mind some till the results come back.

That's great that so many things cleared up when you gave up gluten!

I hope you don't mind me asking... Hue do you feel about bring infertile? I like kids and all but I've never wanted my own. I've wanted to adopt for as long as I can remember, if I even end up doing that someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I'm not exactly in the city, but I'm familiar with most of it. If you decide to come down just let me know if you'd like. We could at least meet up for a coffee or something

When will you know your test results?

~~~~nods head in shame if it's already been posted~~~~
    That would be fun! I've heard the shopping is great in Atlanta.

I get the results back next week, probably Tuesday.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I hope you guys get to meet! It was really cool when me and Ombat got together - surreal and nice

Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post

I hope you don't mind me asking... Hue do you feel about bring infertile? I like kids and all but I've never wanted my own. I've wanted to adopt for as long as I can remember, if I even end up doing that someday.
    I don't mind you asking at all! I'm super transparent

Honestly, it's kind of ironic that I'm infertile, cos I have absolutely no mothering instinct. Don't get me wrong - I love kids, and I'm really good with them (they love me), but I get bored of them after a while and am happy to hand them back. Idk, I need intellectual stimulation It might change when I meet the right person though. But it's weird: I do believe that many conditions originate in the mind. I've kind of alluded to some bad sexual histories, and I honestly think that these are the root cause of my health issues. Didn't deal with them for a long time (maybe still haven't) and they manifested as physical illnesses. I know a lot of people would think that theory is tosh, but I believe it.

Oh, and the endo said it's not a permanent condition, but is caused by the hormonal imbalance. Once this is sorted I should be okay

Definitely don't worry about having PCOS. Think of it this way: any diagnosis you get is a positive! it's so much worse to have something wrong, and have no idea how you got it / how to fix it. Like I said, my life started to turn around as soon as I got my diagnosis.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    That would be fun! I've heard the shopping is great in Atlanta.

Yes indeedy, to quote an old friend of mine.

Re. shopping - now that's something I know a lot about. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I don't mind you asking at all! I'm super transparent

Honestly, it's kind of ironic that I'm infertile, cos I have absolutely no mothering instinct. Don't get me wrong - I love kids, and I'm really good with them (they love me), but I get bored of them after a while and am happy to hand them back. Idk, I need intellectual stimulation It might change when I meet the right person though. But it's weird: I do believe that many conditions originate in the mind. I've kind of alluded to some bad sexual histories, and I honestly think that these are the root cause of my health issues. Didn't deal with them for a long time (maybe still haven't) and they manifested as physical illnesses. I know a lot of people would think that theory is tosh, but I believe it.

Oh, and the endo said it's not a permanent condition, but is caused by the hormonal imbalance. Once this is sorted I should be okay
    I just realized I haven't responded in my journal!

We sound very similar when it comes to kids.

Maybe like post traumatic stress syndrome? I think conditions can get worse in the mind. Mine seem to have gotten worse since I've been reading/studying up on them over the past year and a half. Maybe it's coincidence...

I got some labs back today. The main lab I wanted to see was missing (rT3)! I talked to the nurse and she called the lab and they will have it in my Friday.

I started this thread to get some input on my sex hormones-
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread90944.html

Anti-TPO antibodies- 316 (<35)
    thyroglobulin AB level- 77 (<20)

Total T3- 1.33 (0.97-1.69)
    Free thyroxine (T4)- 1.42 (0.78-2.19)
    Free T3- 4.88 (2.77-5.27)
    TSH- <0.015 (0.465-4.68)

My free T3 is on the high end of the range. I'm sure that the problem is rT3, meaning that I'm not being able to utilize the T3 properly.

My antibodies are up from 175 in February! That's the highest they have every been!
    SGPT (ALT)- 55 (9-52)
    SGOT (AST)- 37 (14-36)

My liver enzymes are elevated... that's probably why I'm a poor T4 converter.

HDL-77
    LDL-71
    Triglyceride- 49

CRP- <0.5 (<1.0)

I don't really know much about CRP. I think it has to do with inflammation.

I've been tracking my temps for the past 2 days. I need to make sure my adrenals are ok to start the rT3 protocol soon.

July 21

6:45am-97.4
    9:45am-98.0
    12:45pm-97.8
    3:45pm-98.3
    6:45pm98.2
    9:15pm-97.8

July 22
    6:00am-97.8
    after 30 minutes of jogging and walking-97.2
    9:00am-98.3
    12:00pm-98.0
    3:00pm-98.3
    6:00pm-98.2

Today my temps were looking good... I think. Still low, but fairly stable. I probably shouldn't have checked it immediately after exercising but I was curious. It freaked me out that it dropped! I think I may have lower-ish cortisol in the morning.
    Last edited by brooke.S.; 07-25-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I posted my CRP wrong.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You'll need the rT3, because as Ray Peat says free t3 or free t4 is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of t3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its freedom in the test.

Here is good interview that addresses many of your questions, I think.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-22-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    nihil

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Brooke, I'm not a doctor, or an expert, but one thing I've learned is that in medicine people tend to look at all the aspects of their body as separate entities, whereas the reality is that everything is related. It would be helpful to post all of your results on the sex hormones thread, as this is an issue that can't be looked at in isolation.

What's your lifestyle? How do you sleep, how stressful is your job, how much do you drink, what's your diet?

Your testosterone is in the middle, so it looks like you dont have PCOS, which is great I would have been very surprised if you had. A few of your other hormones, including your prog and oestrogen are very low. Can I ask if anything significant happened in your life two+a half to three years ago?

You can start by drinking some raspberry leaf tea for the progesterone. I don't want to suggest more meds / sups to you, but Vitex makes me feel like wonder woman. I also use Ray Peat's Progesterone cream, but I can't comment on this yet. Need to get my bloods checked again.

CRP is a little high, which means slight inflammation. This could be something to keep an eye on, or it could be that you had a slight cold on the day of the test.

Liver enzymes: some meds can cause these to raise. What exactly are you on? It might be worth checking to see if there's a correlation.

Now, the Hashis. Again, I'm not a doctor, but from my mum's has his it seems to me that it's such a complicated illness that people tend, very quickly, to be on a lot of medication. My mum is on about 30 pills a day, to cure one thing or another and, surprise surprise, nothing is getting better: in fact, she's getting sicker all the time. I'm not saying this is the case for you, and this definitely wouldn't be a popular suggestion around here, but I think you really need to look at what meds and sups you are taking, and consider how many of these are actually helping you. Your case is even more complex, because you are diabetic. Let's see what the rT3 says.

I don't know much about low cortisol, but mine was high as a result of oestrogen dominance, so I get the impression that stress hormones are quite linked to other hormones being in balance. Did you get DHEA checked?

I think it's brilliant that you got this full panel done - you have a lot more info to work with now!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    "My mum is on about 30 pills a day, to cure one thing or another and, surprise surprise, nothing is getting better: in fact, she's getting sicker all the time. I'm not saying this is the case for you, and this definitely wouldn't be a popular suggestion around here, but I think you really need to look at what meds and sups you are taking, and consider how many of these are actually helping you. Your case is even more complex, because you are diabetic. Let's see what the rT3 says."

I would 100% agree with that....in looking at the original page it said you were only on the insulin and thyroid supp? Is that no longer the case? Is your main health concern your reproductive issue, or is it more than that? Do you feel good?

You have inspired me to start a journal on here

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You'll need the rT3, because as Ray Peat says free t3 or free t4 is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of t3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its freedom in the test.

Here is good interview that addresses many of your questions, I think.

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat: A Renowned Nutritional Counselor Offers His Thoughts About Thyroid Disease / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs
    I love some Ray Peat... I'll check it out this evening.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast