Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 14

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by brooke.S. View Post
    You are so wise. Are you a counselor?

I realize I need to be more guarded with which particular friend I would like to empathize with me.

The cat at work reminds me of MDA peeps. I guess we should all be posting on the ray pestle forum by now but it doesn't look as fun. Besides, most of us are mainly primal with a Peat spin on it.
    Thank you Ha - no, but everyone tells me I should be I just see to the root of things quickly. And I've been through the darkest times a person can face and found my way out, so I know where the pitfalls are!

I post on Ray Peat! Not regularly, but if I want nutritional advice now that's where I go. Honestly, at this stage I'm probably more Peat than Primal...

Btw, I replied to your post in my journal, but you may not have seen it
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-17-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I went and had lab work today. She did a full thyroid panel, thyroid antibodies and reverse T3. I also had blood drawn for sex hormones.

I've mentioned before that I haven't had a period in years. She said that's there's a very good chance that I have PCOS. That's one if those things I've read about that I thought, " I hope I don't have that." I'll know for sure next week when the results come back.

She went ahead and called in a script for Metformin. I'm going to research it before I start it though. She told me the best thing I can do is not eat breads and pasta. I told her that I didn't... Except maybe once weekly.

I really like my doctor. She's actually a nurse practitioner. She takes time to explain things to me. She also said that the thyroid impacts most everything in the body. This is the first doctor I've had that is open to what I want to do and has said that I know my body the best. I asked her if she's treated anybody with rt3 issues. She said no but that we will look into it and do what needs to be done if that's the problem. It's a great stress reliever to have a doctor like her!

I started a thread asking about PCOS and Metformin but there aren't any replies yet.

Brooke, I saw your post. I've actually got some views on PSOS. It seems to be one of those things that people are diagnosed with in the States, but not in my part of the world. I have all the symptoms of it, but turns out my issue is something else.

My point is: don't let someone diagnose you based on symptoms. See what the blood panel says. The blood doesn't lie!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    My point is: don't let someone diagnose you based on symptoms. See what the blood panel says. The blood doesn't lie!
    You are absolutely right... The blood doesn't lie!

If I remember correctly the only thing off on your hormones was estrogen. And it was high right? PCOS is marker by higher testosterone. All this hormone stuff confuses me but I'm gonna have learn all if it too I guess. I do know that progesterone is good. Lol

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Brooke, I hope your test results are not bad. Good thing you have a good doctor, but it would've been nicer if she didn't speculate on the PCOS thing.
    Sending positive vibes your way. You are not that far away from here looks like

You are absolutely right... The blood doesn't lie!

If I remember correctly the only thing off on your hormones was estrogen. And it was high right? PCOS is marker by higher testosterone. All this hormone stuff confuses me but I'm gonna have learn all if it too I guess. I do know that progesterone is good. Lol
    I don't know much about PCOS - apart from the symptoms, which I have a lot of. But my bloods show I don't have it Hopefully you don't either. I'm really glad you're getting this checked out though: I think you'll feel much more in control once you have those numbers in front of you. I know getting my results changed my life. Finally things make sense.

Speaking of my results: my imbalances were high estro, low prog, low T4.

Edit: There's a poster called Bloodorchid who has PCOS - she has a journal on here but doesn't post so much anymore. Maybe you could ask her advice Also, for female hormone issues I suggest asking Dragonfly: she's a wealth and knowledge and very helpful.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-18-2013 at 02:20 PM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Brooke, I hope your test results are not bad. Good thing you have a good doctor, but it would've been nicer if she didn't speculate on the PCOS thing.
    Sending positive vibes your way. You are not that far away from here looks like
    Thanks Gray! I've only ever driven through Atlanta but I want to go for a long weekend eventually. I'll have to get your advice on where to go and what to do when that time comes. Do you like living in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I don't know much about PCOS - apart from the symptoms, which I have a lot of. But my bloods show I don't have it Hopefully you don't either. I'm really glad you're getting this checked out though: I think you'll feel much more in control once you have those numbers in front of you. I know getting my results changed my life. Finally things make sense.

Speaking of my results: my imbalances were high estro, low prog, low T4.

Edit: There's a poster called Bloodorchid who has PCOS - she has a journal on here but doesn't post so much anymore. Maybe you could ask her advice Also, for female hormone issues I suggest asking Dragonfly: she's a wealth and knowledge and very helpful.
    I hope I don't. I don't really know what all the symptoms are. lol All I know is I have no cycle.

Just looked up the symptoms:

Acne- I have this on occasion but only if I've been eating junk. (usually processed dairy)
    Weight gain- I did start gaining weight over a year ago but I thought it was thyroid related.
    Extra hair on face and body- I don't think so but on occasion I have to pull out the tweezers!
    Thinning hair on scalp- Not so much anymore since I'm on a better thyroid treatment. My hair has never been super thick anyway.
    Irregular periods- This is right on the money!
    Fertility problems- N/A
    Depression- Hmmmmm.... kinda comes and goes.

I'll see if I can find those MDA'ers.

I hope I don't. I don't really know what all the symptoms are. lol All I know is I have no cycle.

Just looked up the symptoms:

Acne- I have this on occasion but only if I've been eating junk. (usually processed dairy)
    Weight gain- I did start gaining weight over a year ago but I thought it was thyroid related.
    Extra hair on face and body- I don't think so but on occasion I have to pull out the tweezers!
    Thinning hair on scalp- Not so much anymore since I'm on a better thyroid treatment. My hair has never been super thick anyway.
    Irregular periods- This is right on the money!
    Fertility problems- N/A
    Depression- Hmmmmm.... kinda comes and goes.

I'll see if I can find those MDA'ers.
    Honestly, from your pics you don't look like you have PCOS. The people I know who have it are usually overweight, have bad acne, and facial hair. But see how I check off the symptoms:

Acne- I had this a few years ago, but since I gave up gluten my skin is pretty perfect.
    Weight gain- only recently
    Extra hair on face and body- I think so, other people probably wouldn't!
    Thinning hair on scalp- It was thinning, but since giving up gluten it's looking better every day!
    Irregular periods- Either wouldn't get them, or would get every three weeks.
    Fertility problems- I'm infertile.
    Depression- Majorly.

So, I had every one of those symptoms at one stage. I also get cysts! And I don't have PCOS A lot of those symptoms can be caused by high estro, or low prog. Luckily your bloods will give a clearer picture. I agree with Graycat that your doc should have put forward a diagnosis without having test results. Even though I got a scan of my ovaries which showed that I'm infertile, my endo was very careful not to scare me, or think that it was a permanent condition.

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Gray! I've only ever driven through Atlanta but I want to go for a long weekend eventually. I'll have to get your advice on where to go and what to do when that time comes. Do you like living in the city?
    I'm not exactly in the city, but I'm familiar with most of it. If you decide to come down just let me know if you'd like. We could at least meet up for a coffee or something

When will you know your test results?

~~~~nods head in shame if it's already been posted~~~~

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast