Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 13

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Driedmango Eventually, I'll be able to sort through all this and get to the bottom of it.

Marcadav, I'm on Naturethroid right now. (like Armour) I haven't gotten the cynomel yet. I'll get my labs this week and find out more about rt3 before I start anyway. I had never heard that before... Thanks for the info.

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Hope all gets better soon Brooke

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Brooke, I'm a huge believer in the interplay between body and mind.... but in some cases... if there's an elephant standing in the living room you don't need to start mopping the floor. You dig?

Your close family member just had a stroke. Of course you're going to feel stressed, and if you don't process these emotions you'll start to feel depressed.

My mum was hospitalised a few years ago, and I know how terrifying it is. I also know how some of my family members went into denial: they couldn't process the enormity of what was happening. I remember my dad sitting on the couch eating tubs of ice cream - text book escapist behaviour!

It sounds like you're more concerned for your family members than you are for yourself. I think you should forget about supplements (it sounds like the holy basil is contributing to BS spikes?) and just talk to a friend / a nurse at the hospital / anyone really. In my case, a taxi driver was my first port of call, lol. I was coming home from a late night exhibition, and started to cry in his cab. Taxi drivers have saved my life so many times

And write here as much as you need to! It always makes me feel better. You're not dumping anything on anyone: we're all here cos' we like to be agony aunts Hugs to you.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-15-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Hi Brooke.
    Sorry, I got no tips on how to, but I hope you get to feel better soon. Stressful situations as taxing as they are, get resolved eventually. Sometimes all we can do is stay strong and wait it out. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Brooke, I'm a huge believer in the interplay between body and mind.... but in some cases... if there's an elephant standing in the living room you don't need to start mopping the floor. You dig?

Your close family member just had a stroke. Of course you're going to feel stressed, and if you don't process these emotions you'll start to feel depressed.

My mum was hospitalised a few years ago, and I know how terrifying it is. I also know how some of my family members went into denial: they couldn't process the enormity of what was happening. I remember my dad sitting on the couch eating tubs of ice cream - text book escapist behaviour!

It sounds like you're more concerned for your family members than you are for yourself. I think you should forget about supplements (it sounds like the holy basil is contributing to BS spikes?) and just talk to a friend / a nurse at the hospital / anyone really. In my case, a taxi driver was my first port of call, lol. I was coming home from a late night exhibition, and started to cry in his cab. Taxi drivers have saved my life so many times

And write here as much as you need to! It always makes me feel better. You're not dumping anything on anyone: we're all here cos' we like to be agony aunts Hugs to you.
    Thanks Yoga Good analogy.

I talked to one of my best friends today. She's a good listener and encourager. She never makes me feel like I'm complaining when I just need to talk.

I'm going to get through all this. It's not just my family member being in the hospital... It's an accumulation of things. I'm realizing that I don't think I can pick myself up out if this right now. Usually, I can.

I'm going to talk to my doctor this week.
    I just feel like I need a pick me up of sorts. At least to help me be able to pull myself together some. Everything has gone to crap lately. I've been reading up in Wellbutrin. It sounds like the least likely for harmful side effects. I dunno...

And thanks Max and Gray

You know, I bet that the event is just the trigger for loads of stress that you've been feeling and suppressing. It's no fun being sick, gaining weight, not feeling in control of your life (or behaviours), plus whatever personal things you go through that you don't share here... all those things add up.

If you feel that you need some medication to get you through a hard time, there's no shame in that. Do what you need to do. But mostly, make sure that you treat yourself really, really well right now. Buy a new perfume, listen to music that you love, get enough sleep, talk to your friends (and us ) about what's going through your mind. It helps... more than anything. You don't need to go through things alone. We're all here.

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thanks YogaBare and funny little pic!

Update:

I'm feeling better today... But had a little crying spell when I balanced my check book.

I've started back with D3... Maybe that will help a little. I'm part of a thyroid group on Facebook and a couple if things recommended are iodine and also probiotics. I took iodoral before and think I did more harm than good because I had no idea I needed selenium too.

I still might mention to my doc about how I've been feeling but I'm not so sure anymore I want to mess with any anti depressants. That's a good thing.

I went by the post office today because I had to sign for registered mail. I had no idea what it could be... It was Cynomel! That was fast... Thought it would be at least another week or 2. I'm not going to swap out with Naturethroid until I get my lab work back.

My family member that had s stroke recently, just had a pace maker put in. She'll be starting rehab any day now do things will be moving faster with her recovery. She has already started getting the feeling back in her right side and can move her foot/leg and smile much better!

On another note... I got a text from a friend in the middle of the night. She had been praying for me and felt like I was going to meet somebody in 7 days. To make the story a little more interesting, 21 days ago, somebody else told me pretty much the same thing. Only difference was that it was going to be in a month. Hmmm... These people don't even know each other and they both said the same thing about the same day... Crazy.

You know, I bet that the event is just the trigger for loads of stress that you've been feeling and suppressing. It's no fun being sick, gaining weight, not feeling in control of your life (or behaviours), plus whatever personal things you go through that you don't share here... all those things add up.
    I wanted to comment on this specifically... I do tend to keep my problems to myself. I don't ever want to come across as complaining and don't want to bring others down with my troubles. I realize though, that if it brings someone down, they obviously don't care enough anyway. I'm thankful for my MDA friends and the people in my life that care.

I'm glad you're feeling better today! And honestly: I'm really happy that you're considering not taking SSRIs. i totally understand that feeling of desperation, but I think since you're getting your hormones checked soon it will really help you get a picture of what's going on with you. Taking SSRIs will throw some things out of whack.

Secondly, I'm not an expert, but from what I know, Hashis is different to hypo and iodine can be helpful with hypo, but detrimental to hashis. I know you want to feel better quickly, but I'd really encourage you not to try too many things at once because otherwise you won't know what's affecting you. Again, I really think once you have your hormones done, you'll have concrete info to work with.

Thirdly, I'm betting you're the kind of person who really listens to other people's problems, and maybe some of these people take advantage and stop talking about things constructively and just end up dumping on you? From what I've observed, you're definitely not like that. We all need a moan every now and again, but you seem to have your head screwed on, and I bet that talking about things helps you process them, and understand them. That's very different to venting. And if people can't cope with it, then they're just not those kinds of people that are able to deal with other people's emotions. They probablycant even deal with their own! It doesn't mean they don't love you in their own way. Just be careful about who you speak to, because speaking to the wrong people will make you feel worse.

Finally, the picture was a reference to all of our cat-obsessed and / or trollish carb fiends on here If Ray Peat had been in the picture that would have made it perfect.

- Ray Peat

Thirdly, I'm betting you're the kind of person who really listens to other people's problems, and maybe some of these people take advantage and stop talking about things constructively and just end up dumping on you? From what I've observed, you're definitely not like that. We all need a moan every now and again, but you seem to have your head screwed on, and I bet that talking about things helps you process them, and understand them. That's very different to venting. And if people can't cope with it, then they're just not those kinds of people that are able to deal with other people's emotions. They probablycant even deal with their own! It doesn't mean they don't love you in their own way. Just be careful about who you speak to, because speaking to the wrong people will make you feel worse.

Finally, the picture was a reference to all of our cat-obsessed and / or trollish carb fiends on here If Ray Peat had been in the picture that would have made it perfect.
    You are so wise. Are you a counselor?

I realize I need to be more guarded with which particular friend I would like to empathize with me.

The cat at work reminds me of MDA peeps. I guess we should all be posting on the ray pestle forum by now but it doesn't look as fun. Besides, most of us are mainly primal with a Peat spin on it.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast