Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke... One day at a time. Well maybe. :) page 11

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Yea, i would think salt would do the opposite and dry you out a bit. Thats my experience anyway.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yea, i would think salt would do the opposite and dry you out a bit. Thats my experience anyway.
    Salt has the opposite effect to water than you might realise, salt and water are attracted to each other, so your body uses salt to retain water. If your down on salt levels your also down on water levels.
    I also just read that healthy kidneys can filter out and excrete 6 pounds of salt a day. I would tend to keep salt levels high and any excess let your body excrete, rather than try and consciously control salt levels and risk being too low on salt. If your kidneys are bunk then you might have to do some configuring of salt levels.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Salt has the opposite effect to water than you might realise, salt and water are attracted to each other, so your body uses salt to retain water. If your down on salt levels your also down on water levels.
    I also just read that healthy kidneys can filter out and excrete 6 pounds of salt a day. I would tend to keep salt levels high and any excess let your body excrete, rather than try and consciously control salt levels and risk being too low on salt. If your kidneys are bunk then you might have to do some configuring of salt levels.

Sent from my iPhone
    I understand that salt holds water. When most people say they are bloated from salt, they mean their skin looks puffy. Usually salt would draw the water inward and give you a dryer more lean look, vascular, etc.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I think that's a myth, based on brief research of it. Without enough sodium, serum albumin is unable to keep water from leaving the blood and entering the tissues, which in theory would cause water retention. It's also correlated with hormones, and levels of potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc;
    I did a search and read a Ray Peat article about this yesterday. It explains why why lab work usually shows that I'm slightly dehydrated.

I bet it will even make a difference in my being able to use thyroid hormone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    I also just read that healthy kidneys can filter out and excrete 6 pounds of salt a day. I would tend to keep salt levels high and any excess let your body excrete, rather than try and consciously control salt levels and risk being too low on salt.

Sent from my iPhone
    I'm going to try and not micro manage my salt intake anymore. I've already added 1/4 tsp to my food today.

I wonder what sodium levels would be decent? Also, I've read that potassium needs to be higher than sodium intake for electrolytes to be balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I understand that salt holds water. When most people say they are bloated from salt, they mean their skin looks puffy. Usually salt would draw the water inward and give you a dryer more lean look, vascular, etc.
    That's what I mean by referring to retaining water, being bloated.

My gym performance was better today! I'm guessing my cells didn't feel as thirsty today. I was able to do sprints for the first time in over a month! Salt is my new BFF.

The adaptogens and vitex came in today! I'm going to start on rhodiola and holy basil first. Maybe in about a week I'll start with the vitex.

I have sooo many supplements on my counter. It almost stresses me out... clutter. lol When I first started eating paleo, I reduced my supps down to 1 or 2. Although, I know the way I'm eating now and the supps I'm taking are why I'm feeling better!

I haven't noticed any water retention/bloating from the salt I've added so far. I only added 1/4 tsp today but yesterday I used 1/2 tsp. That's not alot but I'll add more each week as long as I don't notice any adverse effects. The past couple of days I've seemed to have a little more energy.

On another note.... It's almost 9:00 and one of my neighbors is mowing their yard... in the dark.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    In the dark is the best time to do everything
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Except to get a tan

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    The adaptogens and vitex came in today! I'm going to start on rhodiola and holy basil first. Maybe in about a week I'll start with the vitex.

I have sooo many supplements on my counter. It almost stresses me out... clutter. lol When I first started eating paleo, I reduced my supps down to 1 or 2. Although, I know the way I'm eating now and the supps I'm taking are why I'm feeling better!

I haven't noticed any water retention/bloating from the salt I've added so far. I only added 1/4 tsp today but yesterday I used 1/2 tsp. That's not alot but I'll add more each week as long as I don't notice any adverse effects. The past couple of days I've seemed to have a little more energy.

On another note.... It's almost 9:00 and one of my neighbors is mowing their yard... in the dark.
    Hey, I hear you on the sups. It's a slippery slope - so easy to start taking everything! I wrote this on my journal but maybe you didn't see: What's your TSH? Ray Peat says that Vitex can lower it! (Why do you want to take Vitex anyway?)

Personally I didn't notice any differences one way or the other when I was taking a lot of salt...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast