Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat Burning Releasing Estrogen? page

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Fat Burning Releasing Estrogen?

Shop Now
    Ok...Question for those who may have experienced this. I'm post menopause due to surgery; am not on any HRT at all.

I've cut out grains, etc back in December and other than occasional beer, wine and maybe piece of dessert, I follow the PB. Making use of the 80/20 rule.

Hot flashes haven't been a HUGE issue for me as they've been tolerable to non-existent. But, since about February...they're back with a vengeance and making my life miserable. I've read that fat stores estrogen, as well as other chemicals. Any one with experience can vouch for that? Am I doomed to deal with this as long as my body is burning fat? I've not seen the massive changes others in the forum have seen physically. Actually just noticed yesterday that my jeans went on a little easier than I anticipated. Cool.

I don't want to get back on massive amounts of vit E as I'm now taking the fish oil. Not sure what that'll do to my clotting abilities.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I can't face a billion zillion dollar electric bill this early in the year due to me trying to keep myself from combusting!

Thanks!
    jenella
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I also would like to learn more about this!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It's an interesting question you pose. It seems possible but I just don't have an answer. All I can say is to be sure to address the other things that help balance estrogen (in case it is being released).

Be sure you're
    eating 10-15 svgs produce per day and that 2 of them are cruciferous veggies.
    plenty of zinc (track on nutritiondata.org)
    plenty of magnesium (track on nutritiondata.org)
    maintaining optimalj levels of vitamin d (see my sig for more info)

Best,
    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Lucinda is offline Junior Member
    I am perimenopausal, so I am experiencing both symptoms of menopause and still have to deal with menstruation. I eat more dark leafy greens, especially kale, which helps not only with significantly reducing hot flashes, but with menstrual cramps, too.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Yes, there is estrogen stored in fat, but as you're burning fat, you're reducing your estrogen, but I'm not sure about menopause 'symptoms.'

I'm 68 and began seriously losing weight at about age 61 0r 62 (can't really remember because it's been such a long process). I'm also hypothyroid, so I lose very slowly. Since I began, I've lost a little over 160 lbs, but I've had NO menopausal symptoms at all. I've felt better and better the more weight I lost.

Perhaps it's because I lose so slowly?

" Am I doomed to deal with this as long as my body is burning fat? "

Just had a lightbulb moment. It's not the burning of fat and the 'release' of estrogens that's problematic. It's (and I think this is what Emmie was saying) that you're having symptoms because you're reducing the total estrogen stored in your body as you loose weight and fat stores.

In some ways, it's like another - albeit mini - menopause.

K

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    OK, fine, let me run screaming if this is a mini-menopause!

With the hysterectomy went my ovaries, so there's not been any hormone production in 2 yrs. Had an estrogen crash a few days after the surgery and hot flashes during that same summer. Afterwards, all symptoms have been nil. So I had felt that any 'usable' estrogen was used up. I know that with conventionally raised meats, we should trim the fat due to the chemicals that are stored there for these animals. Thinking the same is for us...chemicals are stored in fat = estrogen.

There is no way I can eat 10 - 15 servings of produce a day. Unless I pile all that in a BAS. Just not a veggie fan. But I will look up the cruciferous veggies and try to incorporate more of them. The vitamin D...I am a softball player, motorcycle rider, mountain biker, flower/veggie grower and dog walker...so I've got a good farmer's tan going on. Am outside a lot!

The zinc and magnesium...I will have to check that out. I am not religious with Fitday due to time constraints but may need to track a couple weeks steadily to see how that is.

Ok. Thank you everyone for the feed back!!

jenella
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I guess this is why I feel like total shit these days even though I am in ketosis getting rid of those last few pounds...
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I started PB in beginning of Feb. I am 53, and was having regular monthy periods still. I weighed about 122 and within 6 weeks my weight had dropped to about 118. With that loss of fat, menopause set in suddenly and with a vengeance. I was having hot flashes every 2 hours all night, every night and it took about 45 minutes to cool back down and go back to sleep after each one. I assume menopause started because body fat stores produce a certain amount of estrogen. With that loss of bodyfat, my estrogen levels dropped and my ovaries were just too old and tired to make up for it. I haven't had a period since march and don't have any sensation that they will start back up. I also think that eating a conventional diet exposes one to more chemicals and phytoestrogens that have estrogenic activity in the body. EAting mostly all organic veggies and no more soy products probably also induced the sudden onset of menopause.

During the first month of PB, my energy level was so much better and I felt fabulous. But, with the lack of sleep from hot flashing all night, I started to feel like CRAP despite my new healthy diet. I was taking cod liver oil, eating leafy greens, taking black cohosh, my meat was mostly all grass fed - nothing was helping. So I went to the doctor. While I was willing to start some kind of estrogen replacement with bioidentical hormones, she suggested I try gabapentin - an anti-seizure drug - at bedtime. For the most part it has been working. I guess that it works because hot flashes are a type of seizure - an overactivity in some part of the brain. I might still have a hot flash somewhere towards morning as the medication wears off, but my sleep is so much better and I feel good most of the time. I don't take it during the day - I can cope with whatever hot flashes I have while I am awake. The medication causes a bit of dizziness, but by about 8 am all the effects have worn off and I feel like my normal self.

"so I've got a good farmer's tan going on. Am outside a lot!"

Exactly! You're not getting enough vitamin D with just your arms, face and neck exposed. Please read the links in my sig - the D link includes testing information.

K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast