Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fat Burning Releasing Estrogen? page 3

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Regarding the estrogen causing breast cancer.....I am afraid that I do believe the CW on this one. There have been numerous studies that show the longer a woman is exposed to reproductively high levels of even just her own natural estrogen, as measured by the number of years between menarche and menopause minus time out for childbirth and breast feeding, the higher the risk of breast cancer. Tamoxifen is effective in preventing recurrence of breast cancer because it is an estrogen receptor blocker. Estrogen stimulates the growth of breast tissue. It seems very logical to me that more exposure to it would correlate with higher rates of breast cancer, whether that estrogen comes from fat cells, ovaries, pills, or patches or even horse urine. Synthetic, conjugated estrogens may cause even MORE cancer than bioidentical estrogen because they bind more tightly to estrogen receptors, but even here you are admitting that estrogen bound to an estrogen sensitive cell for a longer period of time (more tightly bound) causes cancer. Estrogen bound to estrogen receptors is a proven factor in the development of breast cancer. The less circulating estrogen, the less time the estrogen is bound, the more the estrogen receptors are blocked the LESS CANCER there will be.

I use an estradiol patch. I am not telling myself that this is risk free because I don't believe it is. I am keeping my carbs low so that higher exposure to insulin doesn't compound the problem. Insulin is another natural hormone that promotes the growth of cancer. Dropping some extra fat if you can at menopause is probably also a good idea, because fat cells do produce extra estrogen. When I dropped body fat at the start of going primal it sent me into instant menopause with terrible hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings. I felt like I'd had a total hysterectomy! Those fat cells had been the cushion between me and menopause.

I respect the questioning, I have done a lot myself. And on this one I have come down on the side of current CW. Too many studies coming at it from too many different angles have confirmed in my mind that estrogen exposure from any source is a risk factor for developing breast cancer.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I respect the questioning, I have done a lot myself. And on this one I have come down on the side of current CW. Too many studies coming at it from too many different angles have confirmed in my mind that estrogen exposure from any source is a risk factor for developing breast cancer.
    I agree. Let's not paint all medical knowledge with the broad brush of "CW nonsense" and toss it aside.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123