Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat Burning Releasing Estrogen? page 2

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I wonder if the fat loss and corresponding loss of stored estrogen could be the reason I've been getting more migraines since going on PB. Estrogen fluctuations have been a migraine trigger for me all my life. (I haven't had a period in about 18 months so I'm menopausal). Hmmm...I've also noticed in the past that my migraines often come along with hot flashing that lasts for the first 2-3 hours of the migraine. Very interesting, although I don't know what I can do about it.

bethr is offline Junior Member
    I've lost quite a bit of weight and noticed that my hot flashes have increased. But I've also had a huge increase in migraines (like 2-4 a week). I thought it was because I was flying every week. Perhaps the two are related.

both the hot flases and the increase in migraines are clear symptoms of reduced systemic estrogen. When you lose fat, you lose the estrogen-building factories in those fat cells (estrone, or E1). I've read of this happening to other people in their weight loss journeys. Strange estrogen symptoms. Anyway, that's what's going on. As for flying, if you get dehydrated while flying, that can be a migraine trigger as well (it is for me).

I see that my last post on this thread was back in May. My estrogen had bottomed out at that point. But now I'm on bhrt so doing much better.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    I lost a few pounds after starting primal - unintentionally, since I didn't really have any to lose, just leaned out more to the point where I was extremely lean. Immediately my hot flashes became unbearable - cycling every 90 minutes all night long, never getting into a deep sleep. So, even though initially my energy and well being really increased after going primal, after the hot flashes kicked in I felt like crap! I am on a very low dose estrogen patch now (estradiol) and while I still have a hot flash here and there, I am mostly sleeping through the night. I am not feeling as fantastic as I initially did after starting primal, but much better with the extra estrogen help. My sudden onset of increased hot flashes totally correlated to a sudden drop in bodyfat level.

My migraines are all triggered by hormonal changes and are impervious to OTC pain relievers. I can tell when my estrogen level is either rising OR falling, because either way it triggers a headache. But that was true before primal, no better or worse now.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    wow, old thread!

i did a whole 30ish for the month of feb. I DID NOT HAVE A SINGLE HOT FLASH!
    i cut out booze, junk, and upped my minerals (magnesium)
    I didn't have a single one.

gotta get back to that.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering what will happen for me, too, as I'm 8 yrs post surgery. I figured I might 'dry up' a bit without the oestrogen laden fat keeping my levels up.

FWIW, when I went through this the first time, it was my acupuncturist that helped me to heal. I had one course of her cooling herbs and about 6 weeks of acupuncture in my spine. Each time she did it, I got relief from the flashes and general misery, and as the course went on the relief lasted longer and longer til it went away completely. If it happens again, I'll be knocking on her door!!

Cillakat - where do I find your signature?

LOL - I didn't read page 2, or notice the date!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Paleobird Guest
    Post breast cancer, my oncologist told me that the best thing I could do to help prevent a recurrence was to get the extra weight off of me because of all those little estrogen factories in the fat cells. Estrogen is the chemical trigger that turns breast cancer cells on. Getting a bit dried up is a small price to pay to avoid that. And I haven't even noticed that to be a problem. If I do, there is always a jar of coconut oil.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Getting a bit dried up is a small price to pay . . . If I do, there is always a jar of coconut oil.
    I'm with you there, Paleo! I had wicked endo, and they couldn't get it all, so I suspect some of my gut issues are a result of the endo that was embedded in my intestine being fed by my fat. Getting the weight off has got to help either way (endo or IBS), and a bit of slippery help on occasion is no big deal (and possibly even extra fun).
    Last edited by Jac; 03-08-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Post breast cancer, my oncologist told me that the best thing I could do to help prevent a recurrence was to get the extra weight off of me because of all those little estrogen factories in the fat cells. Estrogen is the chemical trigger that turns breast cancer cells on. Getting a bit dried up is a small price to pay to avoid that. And I haven't even noticed that to be a problem. If I do, there is always a jar of coconut oil.
    I'm in the camp that believes this notion is CW, as applied to female hormones. It deserves as much critical thinking and analysis of the real facts as the cr*p we've been fed about how lipids cause heart disease. From what I've read, there has never been a study that demonstrated that estrogen caused breast cancer. It can however, increase the rate of growth of pre-existing cancers (if they are the estrogen-sensitive type). All of the studies that are quoted by allopathic doctors and repeated in the mainstream media, used synthetic conjugated and/or equine-derived estrogens that bind much more strongly to estrogen receptors than does human bio-identical estrogen. This is high test fuel compared to the 17-beta estradiol that our body really needs. Also worth mentioning is that recent studies demonstrate that replacing bio-identical testosterone along with estradiol and progesterone, results in a lower breast cancer rate than occurs in the women who take no hormones at all, indicating that testosterone replacement as part of combined bhrt is protective against breast cancer. And the last point I'll mention is that the rate of death from breast cancer is much, much lower than death caused by heart disease or even complications from osteoporosis. Estrogen is protective against both things, not to mention alzheimer's, dementia in general, depression, etc.

I know cancer is a scary topic and I don't mean to offend anybody with heretical thinking...but then again, Gary Taubs, Mark Sisson, and adherents of Paleo nutrition also showed heretical thinking against mainstream CW nutrition so maybe it wouldn't hurt us to apply those same critical thinking standards to what we've being told about estrogen as the cause of breast cancer.
    Last edited by Canarygirl; 03-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is curious, I hadn't thought of losing estrogen when you lose weight but lately I magically (I love Primal) lost 10 pounds and suddenly became super moody and PMS-y...even though it isn't close to that time of the month. I feel like I'm losing my mind with the mood swings. Could the sudden weight loss have triggered something estrogen related?
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast