Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt as a staple? page

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member

Yogurt as a staple?

Primal Fuel
    While I would prefer meat to anything else, there are times where I don't feel like cooking. Greens have kind of failed me (or have I failed them?!) as no matter what I seem to buy, I'd rather pull out the pan and fry up some sausage then toss together a salad. Greens just kind of rot in the crisper D:

I generally only eat once per day on most days (no time before work, no desire/supplies at work), so in an effort to make sure I get my protein up, I've found myself consuming a lot of dairy lately. Milk at first, but now tending mostly towards yogurt, with occasional kefir. Heavy preference towards full fat yogurt (surprisingly difficult to find around here), without any additives. Going to be getting myself a slow cooker to make my own ASAP so I have a continual supply of the stuff.

Unfortunately all the organic milk around here is Ultra-Pasteurized, which I have read is really bad for yogurt making.

Recently reintroduced myself to the greek style stuff, though the only full fat greek style is Dannon, which has a poor reputation (and, so far, inconsistent flavor - one bucket was tart as regular yogurt but the one I have open now is sweet...weird).

Naturally, I'm going as close to the "organic" side as possible, as Stonyfield is basically best I can find so far.

I know yogurt is in a grey zone, but has anyone else found themselves keeping a considerable portion of their dietary protein and fat from yogurt? It is certainly cheap protein, even gram for gram I think - thereabouts $2.50 per pound.

Also, does that whole probiotic noise hold up in the primalsphere? Mark's posts seem to suggest it's largely bunk for doing anything to adults.

M.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's ideal. I consume a lot of dairy, and I don't feel that it's been helping my body comp any.

That being said, you could do a lot worse.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    I use yogurt for dessert only, in fairly small amounts. Berries with full fat greek yogurt and raw honey is divine.

Mark sells probiotics on this website, how can he suggest that it's bunk?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I eat Fage Greek yogurt daily, love it. Can't complain about anything since I'm at my goal weight and staying there. It's awesome for my digestion, I'll tell you that.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

Unfortunately all the organic milk around here is Ultra-Pasteurized, which I have read is really bad for yogurt making.

Recently reintroduced myself to the greek style stuff, though the only full fat greek style is Dannon, which has a poor reputation (and, so far, inconsistent flavor - one bucket was tart as regular yogurt but the one I have open now is sweet...weird).

Naturally, I'm going as close to the "organic" side as possible, as Stonyfield is basically best I can find so far.

I know yogurt is in a grey zone, but has anyone else found themselves keeping a considerable portion of their dietary protein and fat from yogurt? It is certainly cheap protein, even gram for gram I think - thereabouts $2.50 per pound.

Also, does that whole probiotic noise hold up in the primalsphere? Mark's posts seem to suggest it's largely bunk for doing anything to adults.

M.
    I didn't do dairy for about 6 months or so when I first started eating paleo. Then on occasion I would have goat cheese or goat kefir. But now I have dairy everyday. I'm not sure if my gut repaired during that time or what. Most don't react the same to goat milk as to cow's milk. I hear ya on the dannon greek, I've been buying that (don't eat it much though). I buy raw goat milk and cheese from a local farmer. Do you have access to raw goat milk there? Trader Joes and Wholefoods both carry goat milk products but they aren't raw.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Why is ultrapasteurized milk bad for making yogurt? Won't the cultures just turn all the junk into yogurty goodness regardless?

I have made yogurt myself just putting the warm milk and cultures in a clean mayonnaise jar in the oven next to the oven light. It seemed to work best with low-fat milk as the whole milk I bought (cream at the top kind) kind of ended up with the fat turning into yellow oil when the milk was heated and thus ruined for the cultures.

If you can find Wallaby brand, it's got no additives.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    I eat Greek yogurt nearly daily, full fat. It is slightly high in carbs for some VLC folk, but it hasn't affected me since I'm moderate carb. I've lost weight fine eating it. Agree with Damiana, Fage is amazing and creamy! It also helps your digestion. Dairy can stall some people for weight loss, though and you should always keep your dairy consumption moderate. Personally I say it's fine.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    A slow cooker is not really going to help you make yogurt. Get a large pot, some jars, a small portable cooler, and a candy thermometer.

Nameless Wonders: Yogurt for the masses
    How I Am Making Yogurt Right Now: The Cooler Method | Nourishing Days
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Oh, forgot about this thread! Thanks for the links nameless. The slowcooker was mostly for a hands off approach, but that method might work just as well it looks like.

Sbhikes, though UP milk is done shorter, the higher temps wreck everything. I've heard it simply makes watery yogurt, if anything at all.

Sadly, all my raw milk leads are duds - Maryland :|

I'm also going to start trying various brands of yogurt that I have around here.

M.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a cup of full fat yogurt with a half pound of fruit for dinner sometimes... I have noticed no ill effects.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast