Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yogurt as a staple? page 3

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I like the Stonyfield Yobaby. Full fat yogurt with the cream on the top. Yesterday I found that they had finally gotten Greek Gods at our Safeway. It's really good. We had it when we went to Arizona ,but none of the stores here carry it...until now.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Here's the Oikos by Dannon nutrition facts:

http://www.oikosyogurt.com/assets/im..._wholemilk.gif

So if I eat the whole container, that's 80g of protein and only 36g carbohydrates and fat. Good profile or no?

An other effects of the stuff I need to be wary of? Milk itself appears to spike insulin, which may or may not be a thing to be a concern, but I'm not sure about yogurt.

M.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Here's the Oikos by Dannon nutrition facts:

http://www.oikosyogurt.com/assets/im..._wholemilk.gif

So if I eat the whole container, that's 80g of protein and only 36g carbohydrates and fat. Good profile or no?

An other effects of the stuff I need to be wary of? Milk itself appears to spike insulin, which may or may not be a thing to be a concern, but I'm not sure about yogurt.

M.
    Dairy overload.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember OP goals and reason for asking, but I have been following the Fast Metabolism Diet the last few months, which one can make it fairly primal/PHD. It is a 28 day cycle, and it's purpose is for trying to lose weight by feeding thyroid, calm adrenals, etc and she says no dairy during this time. I dont know if right or wrong - I am just sharing and relaying information.

She says "But cheeses, and all other dairy products, have a sugar-fat-protein ratio that wreaks havoc when repairing your metabolism. The rate of sugar delivery from the lactose (milk sugar) in dairy is way too fast, and the animal-based fat is too high. I know what you seasoned dieters are thinking: what about low-fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt? These foods do have health benefits, like protein, and they can have a place in your life … but not for the next 28 days.

The other problem with dairy is that it stimulates the sex hormones in metabolism-stalling ways. Even organic products contain amino acid ratios that alter the balance of the sex hormones. I use full-fat dairy in my fertility diet, and encourage many women trying to get pregnant to drink organic whole milk. But it isn’t appropriate on this program."

I didnt really eat it before trying to lose weight, but once I was serious, I started including it and I was losing, but I also cut out all the other bad stuff. Then I stalled for the longest time, and by cutting a few things out - one of which was yogurt, and eating things in certain combinations, weight loss has resumed.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    While I would prefer meat to anything else, there are times where I don't feel like cooking.
    So in an effort to make sure I get my protein up, I've found myself consuming a lot of dairy lately. M.
    I hate to sound like the "real food" police, but this sounds like waaaay too much dairy to be Primal. You don't have to haul out the pans and cook and wash up every single day. Make a big batch of meat and veggies and portion it out into several of your own Primal "lean cuisines meals. Freeze them and you'll have dinners for a week.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Shieldmaid is offline Junior Member
    Do you feel fine with all the dairy? Then keep it up!

I used to restrict consumption of raw milk, cheese, yogurt, and kefir because of the "real food police" that stalk these forums. Dairy IS food, especially for those of us who continue to produce lactase. My predominately Northern European butt has thanked the hell out of me for every bit of high-quality dairy that I've added back into my paleo/primal diet.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Yep, feel fine. There's probably a line that goes into "too much" I guess, but I'm not sure where that is. Guess it's time to dig up some research...

M.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123