Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liposuction regret and now hormone issues page 3

LittleMe is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Wow, I have never heard of a surgery causing weight gain. I was toying with an idea of liposuction on my thighs, but now I will stay away from it.

Certainly, drop dairy, nothing wrong with this idea; maybe dropping bacon as well if you eat it daily and going for more veggies/fruit, less fat. Did you try eating a bit of seaweed every day to help balance tyroid function?
    I just wished I'd done more research before I had it done. I was very "slim" prior to surgery and only had about 16% body fat. So I'm assuming removing the little bit of fat that I had sent my body into "freak out mode." There are some studies out there that connect liposuction and weight gain. But it's not even just about the weight gain. My hormones have been so out of whack ever since. I've never had any issues prior to surgery and over the last year and a half, I can honestly say I have never felt like the same person. It's been a hormonal/emotional roller coaster. Biggest regret ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I think the emotional and physical stress of surgery and recovery could certainly zap your adrenal function. Surgery is a traumatic event, even if you go in wanting it.
    I completely agree. Not to mention a few months after surgery, I began Crossfit 6x a week and severely restricted my calories - thinking it would help me achieve my goals faster. On top of all of that, I was going through some stressful life events and was only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I was also consuming a lot of coffee and energy drinks to make it through the day. I'm sure all of this triggered a hormonal domino effect from hell.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMe View Post
    I completely agree. Not to mention a few months after surgery, I began Crossfit 6x a week and severely restricted my calories - thinking it would help me achieve my goals faster. On top of all of that, I was going through some stressful life events and was only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I was also consuming a lot of coffee and energy drinks to make it through the day. I'm sure all of this triggered a hormonal domino effect from hell.
    I think you just answered your own question. All the information you have left out in previous posts.
    It was not the surgery itself... It was all of this.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think you just answered your own question. All the information you have left out in previous posts.
    Exactly.

Plus, you doctor lowering your Armour based on TSH when your T3 and T4 where in range.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm sure all of this has contributed to the continual weight gain and other symptoms. However before crossfit, calorie restriction, sleep disturbance, etc I began gaining weight. I was about 2 months post op when I noticed I was getting "chub" in my hips/lower back. Then noticed the number on the scale going up. And at this point, I panicked. This was why I joined crossfit and began eating a very reduced calorie diet. Thinking intense workouts mixed with a low calorie diet would shed the weight. Obviously I was wrong. There's no denying that what I did contributed to a hormonal downfall. I guess what I'm looking for now is help in fixing what's been wrong. Getting back to feeling normal again. I'm not saying I want to be where I was weight wise because I think I was a bit sickly looking (at least that's what others told me). I just want my healthy lifestyle to compliment me. And not just in how I look - but more importantly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Exactly.

Plus, you doctor lowering your Armour based on TSH when your T3 and T4 where in range.
    Was that not a good thing to do? I know he mentioned that it wasn't good for me if my TSH levels remained low and thats why he lowered the Armour. The whole thyroid thing confuses me

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, TSH needs to be suppressed so inflammation is minimized for thyroid or any nodules. My TSH was 0.0something last time it was checked and my T3 was not in range. I didn't even have my TSH checked last time bc I'm not too worried about it. Didn't you say you have a nodule?

Also, I don't take my thyroid meds the morning of my labs. I've read countless times that doing so will show that T3 levels are higher than they actually are. Especially if you have labs done with in a few hours of taking meds. T4 peaks at around 2 hours.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody else will chime in.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMe View Post
    Was that not a good thing to do? I know he mentioned that it wasn't good for me if my TSH levels remained low and thats why he lowered the Armour. The whole thyroid thing confuses me
    TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. It signals the thyroid to produce thyroid hormones. Taking a med containing T3 tends to make the brain/pituitary very happy and it lowers TSH. A happy brain/low TSH does not always equal a happy body/optimal thyroid hormone levels.

Armour, Naturethroid contain both T4 and T3 as well as other hormones. Cytomel is T3 only.

Too many doctors believe TSH is the hormone to watch. Doing so, can keep someone under medicated, feeling horrible, and can create other health issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123