Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrtion Maple syrup vs. Honey page

atmetal is offline Senior Member

Nutrtion Maple syrup vs. Honey

Primal Fuel
    I currently use honey as a flavor condiment for sweet potatoes during my post-workout carb refeeds. I've always preferred maple syrup on sweet potatoes, but chose honey because I thought it was nutritionally superior. After some recent reading, it looks like honey isn't necessarily superior. The biggest difference seems to be that honey has more vitamins, but maple syrup has more minerals. I was wondering which is more important. Or does it even matter considering the relative amount I'm eating compared to the rest of my food?

Cathartes is offline Member
    Given the amount that you're eating, the amount of vitamins or nutrients that you're comparing aren't significant enough to worry about. I wouldn't be looking towards syrup or honey for nutrients, considering that your diet is probably already full of veggies, fruit, and meat.

Eat what tastes best.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    IMHO - doesn't matter. I have both. I just make sure to buy both locally made, and I can because I live in a part of the country that has the requisite climate and trees for maple syrup. And beehives are everywhere.

I just looked at your location - sugaring shacks should be in your relative neighborhood, too.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    Given the amount that you're eating, the amount of vitamins or nutrients that you're comparing aren't significant enough to worry about. I wouldn't be looking towards syrup or honey for nutrients, considering that your diet is probably already full of veggies, fruit, and meat.

Eat what tastes best.
    This.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Mix them both together and let me know how that tastes.

M.

F.Fellini is offline Member
    With honey or maple syrup it won't matter, but if you compare the two to blackstrap molasses there actually is a noticeable difference (molasses is very nutrient-dense). Still, as others have said worrying about the issue at all will make you a lot worse off than the minor nutritional differences of a condiment.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I use both, but not on potatoes/kumara. I would go with butter and himilayan salt instead as a savoury topping.

Also, all honeys are not made equal. Some rubbishy honey even has the pollen removed (cough, china, cough), which makes it of extremely questionable value.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Molasses has both beat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I like molasses too Knife, but it's a little intense for some people...

For the best nutrition bang while indulging your sweet tooth with sweet potatoes... Dates are where it's at IMO.

Just chop some and mash them in, or I understand you can get date sugar... which is just really, really dried dates that have been ground up to a sugar like consistency. Still a whole food, just dried and crushed up.

The Healthiest Sweetener | NutritionFacts.org
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's negligible. The question is, do you want to be getting a little bit of nutrition through consuming a whole lot of sugar? Unless you're Derpamix, the answer is probably no.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast