Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrtion Maple syrup vs. Honey page 2

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Honey is best in its raw state. Most honey is extracted using heat which damages the delicate biologically active molecules and renders it into a syrup. Go local and talk to whoever makes it. I get mine from an old guy at the farmer's market it tastes great and has bits of bees legs and comb in it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have read that commercial maple syrup is far to processed nowadays (even organic etc one), and it makes raw local honey a better choice.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    The plethora of responses in such a short time all seem to say the same thing: it doesn't significantly matter. Thanks for putting that to rest. And thanks for the molasses mentionings. I'll have to give that a try.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    I eat tons of carbs. but things like raw honey or real maple syrup are used in such minute quantities that I wouldn't even think of their nutritional value. its a condiment. if you're really that worried about vitamins vs. minerals, use a tsp of each and then you'll be all set. make sure you're using high quality products though. also, like other posters have mentioned, give blackstrap molasses a try
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Seriously... according to the video I posted, which shows a side by side comparison of all of the products if you watch it... dark brown sugar is better than honey or maple syrup because it's made of molasses.

Date sugar and molasses are the best.
    Dates work too being the same thing as date sugar just not dried and ground.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^That video is pretty awesome! Raw local honey definitely has the benefit of helping with allergies, for some, but this makes me want to look into baking with dates Not as cheap as white sugar, but I bet it adds a nice flavor.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The only "problem" with dark brown sugar for me is that you can't get it organic. And since I believe that supporting organic food crop practices is important I prefer to buy organic raw cane sugar then add some of my own organic molasses to darken it for liquid applications where dates/date sugar isn't really applicable because of the fiber.

I've been putting chopped dates into sweet potatoes FOREVER. It's insanely tasty IMO.
    It's what we did in my house as a kid because my parents were those weirdo "back to the land" hippies.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Honey vs maple syrup - it's been stated over and over. You're dealing with a sweetener, not a food, so looking at it from a nutrition standpoint isn't appropriate since it's mostly empty calories. It is equivalent to that of a refined oil - a useful cooking or flavoring tool, but not to be consumed as a significant source of calories. Of the two, maple syrup is probably a little more nutritious, but honey has other benefits such as allergy benefits.

My two sweeteners I go to the most are coconut sugar and dark brown sugar. I love molasses for nutrient density as it rivals some whole foods, but it's a rough flavor that doesn't always mix. Dark brown sugar is actually a good middle ground. I use it sparingly, again, due to caloric density vs nutrients. YMMV.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I am experimenting putting some dark molasses, raisins, creatine and pure glucose with b-vitamin complex in my water bottle when working out. It seems to give good recovery, but I have to test it a few more weeks to make up my mind...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Didn't even know about date sugar. Thanks for posting. I like dates and use them in cooking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast