Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So today I bought a rabbit... page

andi is offline Member

So today I bought a rabbit...

Shop Now
    he's frozen, and I'm thinking about what I should do with it. Any ideas/suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a stew of sorts, hmm (I also named him snowflake).
    Last edited by andi; 06-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Stew. My Oma used to make this awesome rabbit stew... yummmmmm... Unfortunately I do not have her "recipe", as she was the kind of cook who did not use recipes or many measured ingredients. She just knew how, you know?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm...I haven't made rabbit stew in a while, thanks for the idea. Right now I have a killer goat stew brewing in the crock pot.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    My rabbits are next to the couch looking at me suspiciously...
    Nothing to see here my dears...
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

You have bunnies We're talking wild field rabbits. He he he.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I like rabbit stewed with onions, garlic, some kind of cured pork and tomatoes, with thyme or chilli.

Cathartes is offline Member
    I would recommend either braising it or having it in a stew! Rabbit tends to be lean, and cooking it in liquid will help it stay juicy, tender, and tasty.

(This reminds me of my mom's classic edition of The Joy of Cooking...recipes for rabbit, possum, goose, squirrel; you name the critter, they'd tell you how to cook it up)

andi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    My rabbits are next to the couch looking at me suspiciously...
    Nothing to see here my dears...
    I'm scared I will open it from the packaging and feel horrible, since I kept thinking of my neighbor's pet bunny..

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Stew. My Oma used to make this awesome rabbit stew... yummmmmm... Unfortunately I do not have her "recipe", as she was the kind of cook who did not use recipes or many measured ingredients. She just knew how, you know?
    Yeah, my mom and grandmother cook that way as well, it's hard to try to recreate anything because they just feel it out,

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Hmmm...I haven't made rabbit stew in a while, thanks for the idea. Right now I have a killer goat stew brewing in the crock pot.
    The only goat I've had was goat's milk/cheese. I've been kinda a baby so far with meat, especially since I used to be vegetarian (and vegan, for a bit). I've done some organ meats, those were definitely an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I like rabbit stewed with onions, garlic, some kind of cured pork and tomatoes, with thyme or chilli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    I would recommend either braising it or having it in a stew! Rabbit tends to be lean, and cooking it in liquid will help it stay juicy, tender, and tasty.

(This reminds me of my mom's classic edition of The Joy of Cooking...recipes for rabbit, possum, goose, squirrel; you name the critter, they'd tell you how to cook it up)
    I was think I'm going to end up braising it with some veggies and fresh herbs, thanks for the ideas,

Quote Originally Posted by andi View Post
    The only goat I've had was goat's milk/cheese. I've been kinda a baby so far with meat, especially since I used to be vegetarian (and vegan, for a bit).
    Living in CA I'm spoiled with many hispanic markets and grocery stores. Goat meat is never hard to find because of that, and goats are never (?) raised in a feed lot. They tend to eat what's available and roam free, kinda like sheep. Americans are afraid of goat meat, hispanics are not. I win.

andi is offline Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Living in CA I'm spoiled with many hispanic markets and grocery stores. Goat meat is never hard to find because of that, and goats are never (?) raised in a feed lot. They tend to eat what's available and roam free, kinda like sheep. Americans are afraid of goat meat, hispanics are not. I win.
    My dad's friend knows a lot of local farmers here in Vancouver. We have quite good access to fresh produce, eggs, bees (yay, honey!) and goats, so I think it wouldn't be too hard to find some. Is it a meat that sears nicely? Or is it leaner and should be made with a sauce?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast