Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways your food philosophy has changed. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Ways your food philosophy has changed.

I've noticed that my attitude towards food has massively changed since going Primal.

1.- My eating-disorder-mind doesn't activate before every meal.
    Sadly, it's chosen carbs as its next target, but at least it's mostly quiet. I sometimes worry before a HUGE potato (600g+), but, otherwise, it's a far quieter voice than my anti-fat one was.

2.- I used to look for foods that were low in kcals and buy the cheapest ones in bulk as my 'staples'.
    Now I look for whatever offers the most kcals per pound () and per pound (lb). Within whole foods, of course, but I find my staples have went from fat-free yoghurt, greens and low-kcal foods to butter, potatoes and fish. Eggs were staples both times.

3.- I no longer take pride in 'vegetarian days'.
    I still have them. When I don't feel like flesh, I abstain. But it's no longer something to be proud of. It's plain neutral. I'm eating what my body needs. That matters more than specifically what it is I'm eating.

4.- I don't consider feasting on meat a 'binge' anymore.
    Due to the above.

5.- I don't worry when I skip meals.
    I used to REALLY panic when I skipped a meal. I'd get worried and the worry would make me hungry, even when I wasn't physically hungry. Now I barely notice. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

6.- I don't jump at the opportunity for free-food anymore.
    I always have to check what it is. I don't stress over it, I just don't get a knee-jerk 'let's go!' reaction.

Things that haven't changed:
    1.- When I go to an all-you-can-eat, it's all-I-can-eat. Period.

2.- I feel guilty after eating something 'bad'. Most of the time it causes me physical pain. But I feel bad even when it doesn't. I'm slowly letting go of that one, but learning more about my body really helps. I only felt bad for the first slice of gram-fruitcake yesterday. Once I noticed it hadn't physically hurt me, the second one went in fine. No guilt.

In what ways have YOUR food philosophies (/not) changed?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Cathartes is offline Member
    The biggest mental shift has been that when I think about food, the focus is on nourishing myself, rather than what's lowest in calories. I stopped thinking that "low calorie" automatically="good", and stopped being worried about butter, coconut oil, and other healthy fats.

Really, without trying, I became focused on what in my food is good for me, rather than what's "bad," about it, and I'm still interested in tasty, quality food, but not obsessed with it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Some things were reaffirmed rather than changed.

-I always have found that eating one meal a day controlled binges on my part and kept me thin or relatively so. But the whole three squares a day or grazing thing that is CW would rear its ugly head and sometimes I'd change what comes natural to me. The result is always some weight gain or lethargy. Now I just eat my one (sometimes two) meal a day and screw what anyone else thinks.

-I also found that for me at least the whole "grains are good" mentality, especially as a large percentage of one's total food intake was also a road to bingeing and/or gaining weight. Now I know there are reasons why this is so. Now even when I indulge in wheat (bread or pasta) it's never more than 200 calories for the day. And it's a rare indulgence.

-The huge change for me was going from CAFO to local, pastured, and wild protein sources. I already was choosing wild fish over farmed because it made sense to me. But I hadn't translated that into two and four legged creatures. Now, I'm pretty passionate about it. Also about milk and butter - I'd rather drink (on the rare occasion) or use for sauces a reconstituted dry goat milk that's from a pastured goat than use any milk found in the average grocery or corner store.

-I'm still a bit lax about organic produce, but I don't eat that much produce anyway, so that may be why it's not as big an issue for me. I always choose it if it's available, but I don't go out of my way to get it.

-Right before I found MDA, I learned enough about BPA to make me concerned. So now, when I buy foods that I used to buy in cans, I look for BPA-free cans or products in glass jars. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm getting there. I would say that maybe one BPA-lined can a week, maybe less, makes its way into my cupboards.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Poppi is offline Member
    When I'm at the grocery store with the kids and they ask for candy/cereal/poptarts/cookies I have no problem telling them no. When they ask why, I always give them the same answer... "That's not food!"

They don't like the answer but even at ages 4 and 7 and both with autism they understand that the stuff that comes in boxes and packages may be edible but it's not actually FOOD.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathartes View Post
    The biggest mental shift has been that when I think about food, the focus is on nourishing myself, rather than what's lowest in calories. I stopped thinking that "low calorie" automatically="good", and stopped being worried about butter, coconut oil, and other healthy fats.
    This! I don't do high fat, maybe 40%, but I don't struggle to deny myself the fats that will make my food taste good. I have also stopped looking at prices for meat. Since going primal, my total food consumption has dropped enough that good quality meat is almost a wash. I have also dramatically increased the amount of cooked veggies I eat, because once you add good meat and enough fat, they are really yummy!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    - I'm much more willing to take risks with food. I used to be a fairly picky eater, pre-Primal I had a friend kind of beat that out of me (she ate everything and didn't tolerate picky people). Going Primal made me even more willing to try things that before I would have absolutely turned my nose up at.

- I no longer carry "emergency snacks" with me. I don't get the shaky-hungry feeling ever anymore.

- I eat a lot more veggies than I did before, including such avowed enemies as Brussels Sprouts.

- I read labels. A lot.

- I'm in a desert wasteland, but I am actively trying to cultivate sources of quality meats, both for my health and the well-being of the animals. Have a great source of GF beef, looking for pork next...

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    When I watched what I ate before, it was purely to lose weight. If I wasn't trying at that moment to lose weight, I didn't really care what I was eating and would eat anything that I fancied - until it was time to lose weight again.

Since going primal I'm now aware of what the cumulative effects can be of various foods and so my focus now, although still trying to lose weight is about achieving and maintaining health. So while before I might go low carb purely to lose weight, knowing that once I felt better about myself I could have crisps or crusty bread with butter and cheese etc, now I'm aware that those are going to be basically off-limits.

The biggest impact has been understanding that dairy, for me, is the trigger for significant acne, so it's out. Not just mostly out, but completely out, because it's not worth it to me. Likewise, seeing the effects of food on my father's mental processes have focused me on the cumulative impact of foods. So again, now that I'm looking at the second half of my lifespan, I'm focused on avoiding further damage while healing what I may have accumulated in the first half. I'm very much aware that you can't wait until the damage becomes apparent to start healing it.

I want to give myself the best chance possible to hit my 90s in full working order. The potential is there, I just need to keep fettling ...
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

diene is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat a lot of carbs--oats, wheat, and rice. I also flirted with vegetarianism twice--the first time lasted about a year, the second a couple of months.

Then I became low-carb primal.

Then I went very low carb (less than 30 g per day).

Now, I've embraced carbs again, but I'm eating good carbs--sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, and fruit. I was eating a lot of sweet potatoes for a while, but I recently started eating lots of potatoes again. And I think I like them better than sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain a lot of sucrose, which is half fructose by weight, whereas potatoes are pure starch, which turns into glucose. Glucose >> fructose (sorry, Peatarians). So potatoes it is. Nuke 'em and eat 'em with a bit of Kerrygold. Yum!

It took months of abstinence, but I think I finally kicked my wheat addiction. I call it an addiction because for a long time I really missed things like Goldfish and Cheez-its. I still miss them sometimes, but I don't crave them anymore. I don't feel deprived because I can't eat bread at restaurants, and I no longer feel the drive to take bites of my bf's pizza. In fact, I don't think I can bring myself to eat wheat now. Heh!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I had always thought about things from an evolutionary perspective, but hadn't pieced together that agriculture wasn't a big part of our last 2.5M year evolution period.

That sort of unlocks the whole puzzle and explains everything.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I've switched from asking, "which foods are going to make me feel full?" to asking "which foods are the most satiating?"

It's no longer about stuff to fill up space in the stomach, now it's about nutrient density. Less volume, more satiety.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast