Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet more Iranian food.. page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, Yes, Yes! I love the flavors in Iranian dishes; pomegranate, rose, sumac.

Thanks in advance.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    This is SO easy! Persian Rhubarb Pork. We made it in the slow cooker...

1.5 pds stew meat
    1 pd rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
    1 c. chopped parsley
    2 T. dried mint
    1-2 T. tomato paste
    1 chopped onion
    1/4-1/2 t. turmeric
    pinch saffron dissolved in hot water
    3 T. lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    Procedure:

Brown meat and onions. Add 2-3 cups water and tomato paste, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook one hour. Saute parsley and mint. Add to stew with saffron. Cook another hour. Add lemon juice and rhubarb. Cook until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart. Serve over hot rice. The same recipe can be made with celery. Cooking times are approximate. Meat should be almost falling apart. There should be about 1 to 1-1/2 cups liquid in stew at end of cooking time.

You're supposed to eat it over rice, but we just made small bowls of it and ate it as a stew. We also added a few pistachios to it...

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Ah so good to know! I won't yet claim the grandiose role of MDA's ambassador to the middle east just yet, although a small part of me would love to stay tuned

vintageeats is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Ah so good to know! I won't yet claim the grandiose role of MDA's ambassador to the middle east just yet, although a small part of me would love to stay tuned
    Jenry, so fun seeing this thread! I'm dating an Iranian and I love when he cooks. Persian food is so tasty, and much of it is Primal and/or can be Primalized easily.

Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    This is SO easy! Persian Rhubarb Pork. We made it in the slow cooker...

1.5 pds stew meat
    1 pd rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
    1 c. chopped parsley
    2 T. dried mint
    1-2 T. tomato paste
    1 chopped onion
    1/4-1/2 t. turmeric
    pinch saffron dissolved in hot water
    3 T. lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    Procedure:

Brown meat and onions. Add 2-3 cups water and tomato paste, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook one hour. Saute parsley and mint. Add to stew with saffron. Cook another hour. Add lemon juice and rhubarb. Cook until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart. Serve over hot rice. The same recipe can be made with celery. Cooking times are approximate. Meat should be almost falling apart. There should be about 1 to 1-1/2 cups liquid in stew at end of cooking time.

You're supposed to eat it over rice, but we just made small bowls of it and ate it as a stew. We also added a few pistachios to it...
    This recipe sounds so good! I will try it, but I know many Persians (including mine) won't eat pork. Just culturally hard to stomach, since it's not a meat they raise. I bet this would be good with lamb or beef, too.
    Last edited by vintageeats; 06-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    This recipe sounds so good! I will try it, but I know many Persians (including mine) won't eat pork. Just culturally hard to stomach, since it's not a meat they raise. I bet this would be good with lamb or beef, too.
    Very true--this would go great with lamb or beef--or even fish.

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Can you just post one Iranian food thread and collect all recipes there? Here, maybe?

I'd be very interested as well!
    An idea so good I would never have thought it myself! Although I'd prefer to do it in another definitive home of middle eastern cooking post so I can call it something rediculous like 'Middle Eat-ern recipes' or 'Sheikh of Du-bite' or 'Tehran-nother piece of that for me!', 'This lamb Mecca me crazy!' , 'Eat Meats West' (now they're out of my system). The next post I put through the fibreoptics of MDA would be the ultimate. I'll link it through here as well so you can keep up

(BTW any name suggestions would be appreciated!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    An idea so good I would never have thought it myself! Although I'd prefer to do it in another definitive home of middle eastern cooking post so I can call it something rediculous like 'Middle Eat-ern recipes' or 'Sheikh of Du-bite' or 'Tehran-nother piece of that for me!', 'This lamb Mecca me crazy!' , 'Eat Meats West' (now they're out of my system). The next post I put through the fibreoptics of MDA would be the ultimate. I'll link it through here as well so you can keep up

(BTW any name suggestions would be appreciated!)
    I think you're doing pretty well on your own! "Tehran-nother piece off for me" is hilarious.

diene is offline Senior Member
    So I had to look up aubergine. Turns out that it's the British word for eggplant. I love eggplant and will be trying out this recipe over the weekend or sooner!

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    So I had to look up aubergine. Turns out that it's the British word for eggplant. I love eggplant and will be trying out this recipe over the weekend or sooner!
    Or eggplant is the American word for aubergine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast