Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Rosedale interview confusing regarding saturated fat page

sting is offline Senior Member

Ron Rosedale interview confusing regarding saturated fat

Primal Fuel
    On the Jimmy Moore show he talked about saturated fat and how it slowed down weight loss and recommended instead have monounsaturated fat instead i think, when switching from high carb lifestyle diet to low carb higher fat diet because saturated fat was harder to burn in the initial diet change first 4-5 weeks, but he never explained if he still recommended less saturated fat in your diet if you were over weight and trying to lose weight overall, after the 4-5 weeks.

He gave a example of if someone wanted to lose weight before a holiday, where he said eat less saturated fat, but i'm not even sure if he recommended more monounsaturated fat instead, because he states to really keep protein very low, so low protein low carbs which fat does he recommend after the first 4-5 weeks, anyone have idea regarding this?

Link to interview 365: World-Renowned Low-Carb Physician Dr. Ron Rosedale | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Most low carbers I know, including me, have NO trouble with saturated fats in the early transition time. He's a bit out there with his reasoning around this, IMO.

The biggest issue for most folk transitioning to HF/LC is keeping electrolytes balanced, so make sure to salt your food to taste with a decent sea salt. And take a Magnesium supplement.

And yes, stay high fat, low- mod protein and low carbs.

Thing is i don't lose weight unless i count calories and calories quickly add up on high fat diets.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I think Sally Fallon gave the opposite advice--SFA has both energy and structural functions but MUFA is only energy and will accumulate more readily when overeaten. I don't distinguish between the two myself.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

richard is offline Senior Member
    Rosedale has great advice about protein quantities though. I wonder, sting, if you can't lose weight because you are consuming too FEW calories in fat and too much protein?

Protein is the bugaboo of low carb and Rosedale is exactly right in what he says here.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Whatever works!

I used to count, but I have found my appetite much reduced on vlc. As long as I don't eat out of habit, or boredom and really listen to my hunger signals, it works really well for me. I also keep an 8-9 hour eating window, so that helps me not to overeat.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I think Sally Fallon gave the opposite advice--SFA has both energy and structural functions but MUFA is only energy and will accumulate more readily when overeaten. I don't distinguish between the two myself.
    Ron explains it has to do with long and short chain fatty acids, saturated fats are long while the other aren't, he does mention that coconut oil is good since its a medium chain fatty acid.

Will first mention that i am obese and likely more obese than anyone on this forum, so you have some idea how much weight i need to lose.

When i first started i didn't count calories as they said, and i put on 30 lbs doing LCHF as that was recommended since i am pre diabetic, wow some might say but the thing is i have been on many yo yo diets so before starting LCHF even though they were not great diets my calories intake was low, and i would often lose weight stop diet because they were starvation diets and hard to keep doing for long, and gain back all the weight plus more and so on, this has been going on since i was 15.

So even though these diets were not great i was always consuming less than 1800 calories even less 1400 some diets, but my BMI says i should be eating double that to lose weight, so my body was used to lower calories while on these starvation type diets.

So when starting LCHF i didnt count calories like in creams fats etc and calories quickly add up, and i gained 30 lbs, so i changed it and started doing a ketogenic diet fat 80% protein 15% carbs 5% even less on some days, but also counting calories and keeping them low 1200 1400 a day - one meal a day and become keto-adapted, and the hunger and always thinking about food was gone so thought great, but noticed hair thinning and this stressed me a little and stopped the diet, as i thought maybe this is a way my body is saying this diet is wrong in some way, so back on carbs and off the wagon i gained it all back plus more, now i am the biggest i ever have been

In this interview which i am listening to now Ron says saturated fats are not good as he calls them hard fats http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/wp-co...ish-Debate.mp3

But omega 6 fats he mentioned in the other interview to be limited so where does he recomend we get out fats from since he says to keep protein to 1g per kg of body weight so someone weighing 70kg would need 70g of protein and also says low carbs Hmm.

Anyone know know about this and if its true that saturated fats burn slower than monounsaturated fats?

Quote: Ron Rosedale
    “I am not adverse to saturated fat,” he told me. “What I have said many times since then, and somewhat in the book too -- but HarperCollins modified it to be not too controversial -- is that I wanted saturated fats to be limited for the first several weeks.”

After a week or so our bodies get better at burning fat, so it makes less difference whether we use saturated or unsaturated fat. But it remains much more difficult to burn saturated fats as fuel as opposed to unsaturated fats.

A lot of robust science will support that, he says. For the same reason that saturated fats are not oxidizable sitting on the counter -- so they won’t turn rancid so easily -- that’s a good thing -- but they are also harder to burn -- to oxidize -- inside our bodies. So when we make the transition from a high carbohydrate to a low carbohydrate-burning fat diet, we are learning how to burn fat. In this transition period we deprive ourselves of the fuel that we have probably been burning for most of our lives. We know how to burn this fuel, but it is not healthy.

In this period our bodies have not yet learned how to burn fat. So Dr. Rosedale recommends that for the first few weeks into a very low-carbohydrate diet that the fat we eat needs to be mostly monounsaturated fat and, as a supplement, omega-3 polyunsaturated fat. Our bodies can burn these fats more easily.

“Otherwise, for the first several weeks you very frequently hear people say how tired they are,” he says. “If you don’t restrict saturated fats for the first several weeks, that is what you are going to hear. It takes a lot more skill, if you want to put it that way, to burn saturated fats than unsaturated fats.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast