Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Rosedale interview confusing regarding saturated fat page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Will first mention that i am obese and likely more obese than anyone on this forum, so you have some idea how much weight i need to lose.

When i first started i didn't count calories as they said, and i put on 30 lbs doing LCHF as that was recommended since i am pre diabetic, wow some might say but the thing is i have been on many yo yo diets so before starting LCHF even though they were not great diets my calories intake was low, and i would often lose weight stop diet because they were starvation diets and hard to keep doing for long, and gain back all the weight plus more and so on, this has been going on since i was 15.

So even though these diets were not great i was always consuming less than 1800 calories even less 1400 some diets, but my BMI says i should be eating double that to lose weight, so my body was used to lower calories while on these starvation type diets.

So when starting LCHF i didnt count calories like in creams fats etc and calories quickly add up, and i gained 30 lbs, so i changed it and started doing a ketogenic diet fat 80% protein 15% carbs 5% even less on some days, but also counting calories and keeping them low 1200 1400 a day - one meal a day and become keto-adapted, and the hunger and always thinking about food was gone so thought great, but noticed hair thinning and this stressed me a little and stopped the diet, as i thought maybe this is a way my body is saying this diet is wrong in some way, so back on carbs and off the wagon i gained it all back plus more, now i am the biggest i ever have been
    From what I have seen in the forums, the hair thinning seems to be a result of stress from previous dieting. I have not seen this, personally. in fact, my hair is growing so fast I need to get it cut every 4 weeks, instead of every 6.

I make sure to eat plenty of eggs, seafood, liver and cheese to ensure I get plenty of micronutrients, as well as supplementing Magnesium.

Read this:

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.
    Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II » The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

sting is offline Senior Member

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Meh. Overly complicating things, IMO.

I eat mostly grass-fed ruminants, so the fatty acid profile is likely a bit different from grain-fed animals, anyway.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Hair thinning is likely due to the extremely low fat diet.

I count and eat a high fat VLC diet... they are not mutually exclusive. The reason it works for me is that the high fat controls my hunger and the counting drives me toward repetitive meals which controls my "hunger." People who lose weight on high fat lose weight because they eat less calories, counting or no, not because there is anything magical about the fat calories in the calorie total.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Hair thinning is likely due to the extremely low fat diet.

I count and eat a high fat VLC diet... they are not mutually exclusive. The reason it works for me is that the high fat controls my hunger and the counting drives me toward repetitive meals which controls my "hunger." People who lose weight on high fat lose weight because they eat less calories, counting or no, not because there is anything magical about the fat calories in the calorie total.
    My diet at the time of Hair thinning was

Fat 80% +
    Protein 15%
    Carbs less than 5%

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, misread...
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I experienced hair thinning after losing 30 pounds without tracking. I think it results from insufficient protein. I know in retrospect that was my issue. After greatly increasing my protein my hair thinning has stopped and reversed.

Paleobird Guest

Fat 80% +
    Protein 15%
    Carbs less than 5%
    You still missed Dr Eades' point. What were you eating *before* going on this VLC regime? Another one of your starvation level calorie plans? That's when the damage occurred. It showed later as healthy hair started to regrow, pushing the damaged dead ones out.
    Also, how many calories were you eating on these macros? Extremely low caloric intake is stressful regardless of macros.

Linny is offline Senior Member

Fat 80% +
    Protein 15%
    Carbs less than 5%
    It takes about 3 months for the hair to start falling out once your body decides to do a major shed due to stress of some sort. So it's what you were eating a few months before.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You still missed Dr Eades' point. What were you eating *before* going on this VLC regime? Another one of your starvation level calorie plans? That's when the damage occurred. It showed later as healthy hair started to regrow, pushing the damaged dead ones out.
    Also, how many calories were you eating on these macros? Extremely low caloric intake is stressful regardless of macros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    It takes about 3 months for the hair to start falling out once your body decides to do a major shed due to stress of some sort. So it's what you were eating a few months before.

No because i been doing starvation diets for many years with no hair thinning, but before i started VLC i wasn't on a starvation diet i was instead eating just a normal meal plan for 5-6 months, wasn't dieting.

When i went on the VLC i tried to stick to less than 5% carbs and was probably doing close to Zero or 1% 2% carbs plus counting calories around 1400 - 1600 I'm not sure but some where there, my BMI says to have around 4500 calories a day as someone mentioned i was doing VLC and starvation diet also at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast