Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to eat sardines? page 3

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I like to use a fork. I find it's less messy.
    Then why do your fingers smell like... Oh, nevermind

I like them with banana peppers and a little salt.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Then why do your fingers smell like... Oh, nevermind
    Because I lick them when I'm done.
    Duh!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Because I lick them when I'm done.
    Duh!
    photo/video or it didn't happen.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I only eat the ones in tomato sauce when mashed into a paste. They used to be a good sarnie filling, but not sure what I'd eat them on now. Plain sardines straight from the tin? Yup, had a tin a while ago. I'm not really a great lover of bones and scales, so I wasn't sure I'd like them, but I was hungry and thought it would be a good snacking option at the time. I didn't notice the scale or bones because they're completely soft. Just plenty of good tasty fish.

I'd happily eat them mixed into a salad - break them up with a fork so you're getting small bites mixed in and you probably won't notice them.

What I really miss is whitebait, but it seems I have to order them delivered and as they don't fit into my current 1 meal a day eating plan, I'll leave it for the moment.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Pillow is offline Member
    The quality of the canned sardine is very important! Brand vs brand there are huge variations on what a quality sardine is.

I think the best quality sardine out today is from Costco in the greenish label. Skinless and boneless in olive oil. Not the cheapest, but just a wonderful snack.

In fact I had two tins(cans) for dinner with deli mustard on top. Along with lima beans, a huge salad from our garden, and a couple watermelon slices for desert.

Mmmm good and easy!
    Last edited by Pillow; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
    The quality of the canned sardine is very important!
    Co-sign.
    Wild Planet = savory delight
    Generic = where's my cayenne sauce?
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Co-sign.
    Wild Planet = savory delight
    Generic = where's my cayenne sauce?
    Yum, love the Wild Planet sardines. I have them on auto-deliver from Amazon - they are skinless, but have crunchy little spines that I don't mind at all. Gruesomely delicious!

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    The quality of the canned sardine is very important! Brand vs brand there are huge variations on what a quality sardine is.

I think the best quality sardine out today is from Costco in the greenish label. Skinless and boneless in olive oil. Not the cheapest, but just a wonderful snack.
    I go through a whole box every week. The day is not complete if I haven't had my can of Wild Sardines from Costco.

A few years ago we went on a vacation to Portugal. They have absolutely perfected the consumption of sardines, what a heavenly place. One night I had fresh grilled sardines at a lovely outdoor restaurant by the moonlight in Albufeira. The sardines were the size of small trout. *salivating*

PrimalCon New York

In fact I had two tins(cans) for dinner with deli mustard on top. Along with lima beans, a huge salad from our garden, and a couple watermelon slices for desert.

Mmmm good and easy!
    I've found that sardines from Portugal or Spain taste the best. A good brand found in many regular supermarkets is Palacio de Oriente. Avoid ones that say "product of morocco" as they tend to be lesser quality. Iberian/Mediterranean Sardines are fishier and have more of a tuna taste. I prefer that, but some people like the smaller, more neutral tasting Brisling sardines from the North Sea. King Oscar is a good brand for that. Their cans are BPA free too.

Be careful of packages that say "olive oil" on the front. Sometimes when you read the ingredients you find that yeah, they do use olive oil, but they also add soybean oil. King Oscar Skinless and Boneless are guilty of that in fact (the regular King Oscar EVO are EVO only on the other hand). But why get skinless and boneless in the first place? You are throwing out some of the healthiest parts of the fish when you do that!
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast