Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will fit/healthy/strong people be the new upper class?? page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Will fit/healthy/strong people be the new upper class??

Primal Fuel
    After reading the "why wont men lift weights thread' and something I read on T-nation ages ago, It got me thinking about how society changes over time in which certain people with certain jobs or qualifications, or different heritages etc are "upper class"

Do you think fit and strong and healthy people will become such a rare phenomenon that they will be the 'Alphas' in society, assuming their not morons and are still intelligent people. Will it get to a point where Rolex watches and Ferraris are no longer the mark of a successful person, but a 6 pack?

Wasn't there a study done that showed "good looking" people had a better chance of getting a job and were generally more successful then what's considered to be "ugly" people.

In my own experience, going to the gym and hitting the barbells, even in such a short amount of time has greatly improved my confidence, strength, body shape etc. To me, there's to be respected in someone who conducts themselves well around others, AND has a good physique. I've slightly noticed it with myself in regards to others.

Thoughts??

P.S
    I'm not trying to incite discrimination, and I'm not saying that going to the gym makes you part of a master race in t

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Here and there my whole life I have read articles, and now media reports of studies, that try to tease out the effects of being "beautiful", exactly what is beauty, etc. My understanding of it all - yeah, humans are hard-wired to gravitate to the "good-looking", and in more serious studies that handsomeness always has a healthy/fit component to it.

I know, personally, if I were to board some mythical public transportation and one seat were available next to every person, no extras to be had so I could sit by myself, and many different types of human were already on, I would take the seat next to the fit and healthiest before I sat next to an obese person, not to mention someone unfortunately but obviously suffering from ill-health, or even mentally off-kilter (even if that off-kilter perception turns out to be that - just in my own perception). More filters: clean (as in hygiene) before dirty. Pleasant expression before scowling, growly-looking ones.

Whether we get to the point where healthy & fit becomes a whole class unto itself - I just do not know. I can see where you are thinking this way - as I grew up waaaaaay down the social ladder myself, even getting orthodontia done was a HUUUUGE deal and a boost to me personally (as poor folks can't get that done over here in the US, unless they are really clever and somehow find alternative pathways to make treatment happen anyway) and did change how I acted, both in public and in private.

I don't know why it is with me lately, but I spend a lot of time wishing the world had no classes at all - just a world where everyone had access to fine education, good healthcare, enough good food in the organic/biodynamic/Traditional/etc sense, and a clean environment. That fine education would include raising up kids able to preserve something like that for future gens. I am so tired of the usual "classes" and general run of things.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I didn't even think of general health in terms of medical care, good point!

You could also think of it this way, for CERTAIN situations where fit people would be the 'leaders'

Day to day tasks of manual labour (construction, climbing trees for coconuts!, running, lifting) which is pretty much EVERYTHING the fit people would be needed for the task. In the case of coconuts, it's extremely simplistic, but think of it like this. The person is one of the few 'fit' people around, and is needed to climb a bunch of coconut trees to extra the coconut goodness. Well, seeing as he/she is the only one around to do it, he/she can charge an arm and a leg, or half the stock just to do the job. The coconut wanters are at the mercy of the coconut hunter because they themselves are incapable of getting it.

Just to point out my earlier statement, I'm not suggesting because your fit your fundamentally a better human being. Just pure wholesome discussion here!

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i have found myself self confidence greatly improved since getting into shape primally. And i think it shows in the way i carry myself now. I am single and hope that makes me more attractive to the opposite sex

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    there are a lot of fit people around. they have always been. you just need to hang out at the right places (construction sites? farms?).
    if you are good lucking you always had advantages at "conventional" workplaces (i.e. offices). however that is pretty limited (try getting a job at google!).
    Few but ripe.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    i have found myself self confidence greatly improved since getting into shape primally. And i think it shows in the way i carry myself now. I am single and hope that makes me more attractive to the opposite sex
    This also. Raising testosterone will put many Betas into Alpha-mode and many Deltas into Beta-mode (Beta is not bad, Beta is like 2nd in command; Delta isn't bad either, it's just far more common than Alpha or Beta).

Think of the benefits to being fit and healthy:
    -improved cognition (due to better reflex, clearer mind, less stress...etc)
    -raised IQ (human IQs vary by about 10 points per individual, and that's just on a daily basis; active people routinely score at the high-end of their own IQ spectrum)
    -don't need to take much, if any, time-off sick
    -able to do almost everything at once
    -able to do manual and mental labour with equal efficiency
    -more attractive
    -longer work-span
    -higher T means more charisma and confidence

If we continue to live in a world where the healthy are a minority, we'd slowly start seeing fit and healthy people taking-over the best jobs, progressing quickly, becoming successful, accumulating wealth and producing children with the same characteristics. All this whilst the rest of society starts with a 'stunted' IQ, is ill half the year, unable to do anything particularly physically or mentally taxing, unwilling to take on more work...etc Provided health remains rare, fit and healthy people could very well become the next upper classes, regardless of what political, societal or economic system is in place.
    Even in a state of true communism, where accumulation of wealth is hard and power is distributed, the fit would enjoy a greater quality of life just through being fit enough to cope with day-to-day stress and have energy left for fun.

Only if the majority becomes healthy would the healthy not become the new 'upper-class'.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to go with no. At least if your measuring class monetarily. I don't believe for a minute that our current societal structure works with our previous evolutionary pressures to determine "alpha", "beta", ect.... in fact I think we got it ass backwards now. If you redefine the upper class then maybe.

Heck in our current structure your an outsider if your very healthy. Our culture don't like outsiders or people who think differently. Good ole herd mentality keeps em scared.

Meh, anarchy could fix everything. Really status in this country is determined by both your willingness and capability to play the game... i.e. work the system. I've got the capacity (IMO), but I'm not willing to play. I'd rather live my way and damn the system! Hell I like to be as self sustainable as possible and if it were not for my kids I'd probably work towards going off the grid.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-09-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Yeah, but do you ever think it could get to a point where fit people are no longer outcasts because their necessary for the continuation of the system.

Think about it, not just from a physical perspective. Generally speaking, healthy, fit individuals, given the massive amounts of temptation we have in society to simply be weak and fat are more often then not highly motivated individuals with will power and fortitude. These people will naturally progress while the lazy couch potatoes become the 'sheep' while the healthy, strong, capable ones become the Sheppard's, or even the wolves!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    Yeah, but do you ever think it could get to a point where fit people are no longer outcasts because their necessary for the continuation of the system.

Think about it, not just from a physical perspective. Generally speaking, healthy, fit individuals, given the massive amounts of temptation we have in society to simply be weak and fat are more often then not highly motivated individuals with will power and fortitude. These people will naturally progress while the lazy couch potatoes become the 'sheep' while the healthy, strong, capable ones become the Sheppard's, or even the wolves!
    Hey I hope your right, but here is the problem as I see it.... I can do and get a fairly large salary for work done from a rovearound. Hell just look at some of the butterball or feeble looking fellas pulling in big bucks for slapping the keyboard all day. But they cant get off their ass to keep the roads, build the buildings, and maintain infostructure in general. Perhaps manual labor jobs will begin demanding higher socio-economic status a matter of there being less people with the capability to perform them though... who knows. It's an interesting little brain game, but I see a total breakdown of the health system in our society with fairly catastrophic outcome before we get there.

All in all it health and fitness DOES make you a better you. But will this society reward you for that? Thats the question.

Here in Australia, Tradesmen, (carpenters, plumbers, labourers etc) are racking in fortunes because there's simply less and less candidates signing up for those roles.
    Yet, it's SO common here for students with degrees to have ZERO job opportunities because there is just no demand for the jobs. Think IT, Commerce, Science. My sister included. Finished uni with a bio medical science degree with honours and got this piss poor job at a hospital doing basic lab work when she's qualified for so much more. Earning minimum wage.

While a fully qualified tradesmen can earn up to 100,000 AUD per year.

Tradies = fit, robust, capable

Scientest = sedentary (usually)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast