Thread: Grass fed beef page

EMonger is offline Member

Grass fed beef

Primal Fuel
    I'm in the western Chicago suburbs and having a hard time finding grass-fed beef. Oh, they said they could order it, but it would be pricey. How is everybody getting their grass-fed?

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    I'm in the western Chicago suburbs and having a hard time finding grass-fed beef. Oh, they said they could order it, but it would be pricey. How is everybody getting their grass-fed?
    US Wellness is offering 25# of 75/25 ground beef for ~$5.50/lb.

Patti is offline Senior Member
    For the most part I'm getting our grass-fed beef at the farmer's market. We can get organic beef from the grocery stores here, but there it is even more expensive than directly from the farmers.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Shockingly, my grocer across the way has grass fed burger. Tallgrass brand.

M.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I get mine via the butcher shop or from Trader Joe's (packs of frozen ground beef has always been there for $5.99/lb, recently I've found packs of frozen ribeyes and sirloins for $10.99-11.99/lb).

Check the frozen meats section of some of the larger grocery stores?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    here Grass-fed Beef - Chicago Illinois - Indianaplis Indiana - Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Ohio - Columbus - Dayton

They deliver to some parts of IL. I usually get a half a cow at a time.

Wags is offline Junior Member
    Nothing on eatwild.com?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    The farmer's market is too expensive to do weekly shopping, so I went to Eat Wild and found a grass fed farmer. I buy a side of beef each year and put in the freezer and then use use the farmer's market to get soup bones, beef shanks, liver and other low price items. I don't ever buy steaks from them, it's too expensive.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I can get labeled grass-fed at Whole Foods. A couple local health food stores carry hormone-free, antibiotic-free that may be all or mostly grass-fed, but selection is poor and info on the farms is spotty. Ground tends to be 2x the cost of CAFO and as you move to pricier cuts, the differential gets a little smaller.

After months of tracking local farms down by word of mouth, I found a beef/lamb farm just down the road that has connections to many other local farms (chicken, rose veal, more beef). Prices by the cut are similar to Whole Foods, but it's like having a personal butcher on staff and delivery is free.

In your location, there has *got* to be a couple small grass-fed farms nearby. It may take some detective work to find them though.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

I'm (usually) in Chicago too and I looked at Illinois on eatwild.com; there's plenty of farms around. I just don't use them because of budgetary reasons. I'm trying to get through school with as little student loan debt as possible.